Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1018 Likes Search this Thread
12-10-2019, 12:40 PM   #766
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Deesquared Quote
Wow! How beautiful!
Yes, the Blyde River Canyon offers some spectacular views. Quite a lot smaller than the Grand Canyon, but still the 3rd largest in the world.

12-10-2019, 12:41 PM - 1 Like   #767
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Typical South African beach, going on forever and then some.

12-11-2019, 12:35 AM - 2 Likes   #768
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The GRIII became a film scanner today.

Pentax 67II | SMC Takumar 105/2.4 | Provia 400F (RHPIII) 400
Digitized with Ricoh GRIII + Negative Lab Pro | Raleno PLV-S192
12-11-2019, 01:23 AM   #769
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Crossing the tracks of an elephant. The buffalo spoor is even more recent, though.

12-15-2019, 02:47 PM - 9 Likes   #770
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hope you don't mind a dump of some of my recent GRII shots (from December and November)...

(Stitch)

(Stitch)

(Plus WA lens and IR filter, 120s)

(Plus WA lens)

(Stitch)

01-01-2020, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #771
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
Hope you don't mind a dump of some of my recent GRII shots (from December and November)...
Mind? Hah.

Excellent work, todd, very inspiring

Now I probably have to find myself a new GR. The old one started acting up on our latest trip, and after I got home it has refused to retract the lens at all.
01-01-2020, 03:03 PM - 3 Likes   #772
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

The huts we stayed in at the Sondzela Backpackers in Mlilwane Wildlife Sanctuary, Swaziland.

01-02-2020, 02:22 AM   #773
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Now I probably have to find myself a new GR. The old one started acting up on our latest trip, and after I got home it has refused to retract the lens at all.
Update: I found a trick on the net that sort of works; inserting a piece of cardboard around the extended lens lets me twist and force the retractor ring to pull back the lens. This in turn allows me to turn the camera on. It freezes right away, but if I pull the battery (rather than trying to power off) I can successfully power the camera on again and it will work - for a while until it freezes and I need to pull the battery again. Not exactly what I want from a snap shooter

It seems the GR III has finally made an impact on the price of the II, though, so I have just ordered a new GR II (at half the price of a new III). Added bonus is that I know what I get. I'm still not convinced that I would like the touch screen of the III
01-02-2020, 12:50 PM   #774
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the touch screen of the III
Haha that's one of the things that tempted me most about the III. Although some reviews made me question other related aspects of the design changes that were made for it. I'm definitely glad at this point I chose a II, though I still experience temptations at times to add a III to the arsenal.. Someday I suppose...
01-02-2020, 12:57 PM   #775
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Haha that's one of the things that tempted me most about the III. Although some reviews made me question other related aspects of the design changes that were made for it. I'm definitely glad at this point I chose a II, though I still experience temptations at times to add a III to the arsenal.. Someday I suppose...

Well, yes, it's more the removal of some other controls than the addition of a touch screen that makes me skeptical. But I can't say I like the screen of my m43 Panasonic a whole lot. It's nice for scrolling through menus, but after having the focus point run away more often than not I disabled all the screen shooting controls. The GR implementation may well be better (I really expect it to be). I'll still take good physical controls over a touch screen any day.
01-02-2020, 02:27 PM   #776
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, yes, it's more the removal of some other controls than the addition of a touch screen that makes me skeptical. But I can't say I like the screen of my m43 Panasonic a whole lot. It's nice for scrolling through menus, but after having the focus point run away more often than not I disabled all the screen shooting controls. The GR implementation may well be better (I really expect it to be). I'll still take good physical controls over a touch screen any day.
I'll still take good physical controls over a touch screen any day.
Me too, but would expect it to be good both ways with this one.. My Oly EM10II is pretty good at going either way or both... Focus points are sometimes an issue but it's avoidable for the most part... I think I just have gotten so used to shooting through screens thanks to my phone, the GR and LV on the K1 that I often prefer it and touch screen is so auto pilot for me on the phone...
01-19-2020, 02:25 PM   #777
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

One of the first things the new GRII had to witness

No, not my car. It has been there for a few days, and quite a bit of ice has melted away since the incident. I'd imagine they'll need a proper tow to get that up. From what I've been told this is a result of some GPS telling them the shortest route...

01-19-2020, 04:22 PM   #778
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No, not my car. It has been there for a few days, and quite a bit of ice has melted away since the incident. I'd imagine they'll need a proper tow to get that up. From what I've been told this is a result of some GPS telling them the shortest route...

Wow. Rather terrifying.
01-19-2020, 07:32 PM   #779
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow. Seems rather fortunate to be retrievable from this look!
01-28-2020, 11:30 AM - 4 Likes   #780
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow. Seems rather fortunate to be retrievable from this look!
I guess they went rather slowly. There isn't really any alternative when it's steep and twisty and the road is covered by a sheet of ice...

Some more GR II shots of roads - and tracks.