by Aaron, on Flickr

The first of many
by Aaron, on Flickr
10-11-2021, 09:58 PM - 2 Likes   #846
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Big Oak, Small Dog

1/20s, F4, ISO200. Shadows lifted in post.
Just love having the GR3 in my pocket when a photo opportunity presents.
I doubt if any cell phone camera could produce this detail and dynamic range?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
RICOH GR III  Photo 
11-23-2021, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #847
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by thegeaba Quote
From a recent trip...
Looks like a nice place to kick back!

03-17-2022, 11:56 AM - 6 Likes   #848
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

My photography slump continues, but got a few shots with the GR last month. I guess I like winter images better in b/w...

An attempt at catching the texture in "old" and windswept snow.

The tracks of a ptarmigan/grouse (is there a difference) from where it took off.

...and one in colour. I might still want to redo this one in b/w though
03-31-2022, 03:56 PM - 1 Like   #849
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
My photography slump continues, but got a few shots with the GR last month. I guess I like winter images better in b/w...

An attempt at catching the texture in "old" and windswept snow.

The tracks of a ptarmigan/grouse (is there a difference) from where it took off.

...and one in colour. I might still want to redo this one in b/w though
Excellent photography. I didn't realize that you have a Ricoh GR series camera.

I have a Ricoh GR ll. Great camera. Robust, large ASP-C sensor, small body, love the 28mm F 2.8 lens...very sharp.

I got mine to replace my old carry around camera...which was my ancient Leica 11f (1951) and even older Leitz Elmar collapsible 50mm F 3.5 lens. I still have the old Leica, and have had since about 1982, but don't a lot of film work anymore.

The Leica is small, robust and capable of sharp photos...same as the GR ll.
03-31-2022, 11:09 PM - 1 Like   #850
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Excellent photography. I didn't realize that you have a Ricoh GR series camera.

I have a Ricoh GR ll. Great camera. Robust, large ASP-C sensor, small body, love the 28mm F 2.8 lens...very sharp.

I got mine to replace my old carry around camera...which was my ancient Leica 11f (1951) and even older Leitz Elmar collapsible 50mm F 3.5 lens. I still have the old Leica, and have had since about 1982, but don't a lot of film work anymore.

The Leica is small, robust and capable of sharp photos...same as the GR ll.
Thanks, Duke!

I first got hold of a second-hand GR because I was curious, and quickly realised what a great little camera it is. Just about when the GR III came out my old GR got problems. The lens mechanism started to fail. At first I could get it to work by following a certain routine involving swithcing it on, pull the battery, switch it on again, but it hardly left room for quick shots. Then even that failed and I had to do the paper roll trick to force-twist the lens when switching it on.

But since the GR had more than paid for itself (by taking the only picture I've ever sold ) I figured I could justify buying a new GR II. Why not a GR III? Several reasons, the main one being that the III cost twice as much and, in my opinion, it's not twice as good. I'm not a huge fan of touch screens, I'd rather have more physical buttons. And I already had two GR II compatible batteries. Battery life has never been a strong point for the GR series (although not bad for a small camera).

Of course, the GR III has a newer 24 mpix sensor and IBIS. And is smaller. Not sure if the smaller size is purely positive - I find the GR II juuust large enough for my hands.

All in all I'm very happy with my GR II. The perfect carry around camera, and the perfect companion to a DSLR.
04-01-2022, 09:12 AM - 1 Like   #851
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Thanks, Duke!

I first got hold of a second-hand GR because I was curious, and quickly realised what a great little camera it is. Just about when the GR III came out my old GR got problems. The lens mechanism started to fail. At first I could get it to work by following a certain routine involving swithcing it on, pull the battery, switch it on again, but it hardly left room for quick shots. Then even that failed and I had to do the paper roll trick to force-twist the lens when switching it on.

But since the GR had more than paid for itself (by taking the only picture I've ever sold ) I figured I could justify buying a new GR II. Why not a GR III? Several reasons, the main one being that the III cost twice as much and, in my opinion, it's not twice as good. I'm not a huge fan of touch screens, I'd rather have more physical buttons. And I already had two GR II compatible batteries. Battery life has never been a strong point for the GR series (although not bad for a small camera).

Of course, the GR III has a newer 24 mpix sensor and IBIS. And is smaller. Not sure if the smaller size is purely positive - I find the GR II juuust large enough for my hands.

All in all I'm very happy with my GR II. The perfect carry around camera, and the perfect companion to a DSLR.
I bought my GR ll, shortly after the GR lll was announced. I bought it rather than a GR lll, as my new old stock GR ll was a lot less money than the GR lll and it's ASP-C sensor was similar to that in my K5...as far as MP's go.

I've been quite happy with it. Really amazed how sharp the pix are from this little camera and I like the controls which are similar to that on my DSLR's.

I like the choice of three different B&W modes. And I'm also not good with touch screen...on any electronic device. Wife thinks it is because of my big. clumsy hands and fingers ...hitting two settings at once.
04-14-2022, 08:06 PM - 2 Likes   #852
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Reprocessing some shots. Like the GR, like where Darktable is getting to:

Morning hills
by Aaron, on Flickr

Hike across the river
by Aaron, on Flickr

Last edited by Clarkey; 04-14-2022 at 08:07 PM. Reason: Whoa - that's a bit big.
06-04-2022, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #853
Pentaxian

12-20-2022, 02:52 PM   #854
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't posted in quite a while, but here's a couple of BIF shots with the best camera for the job, the GR II!

Yep, the best camera is the one you have with you

12-23-2023, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #855
Pentaxian