Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2013, 12:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ricoh GR or GRD IV?

I know that these are two different cameras with different sensor sizes. I'm in the process of liquidizing assets to pay for life, but my wife wants me to have a camera.

I would love the GR, 16mp APS-C Exmor sensor, 28mm f2.8 lens, tons of external controls. But I have seen the GRD IV on eBay for $250-$300 usd, in both new and used flavors. The GRD IV also has phase detect af sensor while the GR only has contrast detect sensor.

Does anyone have the GRD IV that has played with the GR? What are your thoughts on the cameras? I love the firmware upgrades that Ricoh puts out. Hopefully Pentax will pick that aspect up from the Ricoh merger.

p.s. I would like it if Pentax was on a longer product cycle with firmware updates in-between so as to not end up like Canikon with updates so mild that people are hard pressed to find anything new about the camera. e.g. T4i and T5i, what's the difference again?

05-13-2013, 12:17 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote
I know that these are two different cameras with different sensor sizes. I'm in the process of liquidizing assets to pay for life, but my wife wants me to have a camera.

I would love the GR, 16mp APS-C Exmor sensor, 28mm f2.8 lens, tons of external controls. But I have seen the GRD IV on eBay for $250-$300 usd, in both new and used flavors. The GRD IV also has phase detect af sensor while the GR only has contrast detect sensor.

Does anyone have the GRD IV that has played with the GR? What are your thoughts on the cameras? I love the firmware upgrades that Ricoh puts out. Hopefully Pentax will pick that aspect up from the Ricoh merger.

p.s. I would like it if Pentax was on a longer product cycle with firmware updates in-between so as to not end up like Canikon with updates so mild that people are hard pressed to find anything new about the camera. e.g. T4i and T5i, what's the difference again?
I'm going to be getting the GR IV on Thursday (GR is already here), so I will be able to do a quick comparison for you. I'm pretty sure the main difference is going to be the image quality. The GR is as good as a DSLR (i.e. the K-5), the GR IV isn't.

I've had a chance to play with the GR for a while now and it's got a lot of advanced features and allows for a great deal of customization. I wouldn't describe the interface as intuitive, however. It takes a while to get used to, and even then, some things can be difficult to access due to the way the interface is set up. The GR has two FN buttons which can be mapped to control just about anything. The settings that are not mapped, however, are then buried in the menu. (i.e. if you map FN1 to flash compensation and FN2 to continuous shooting, you can't even get to auto-bracketing to the self timer without switching modes). The AF also isn't brilliant when you're indoors. With that said, the image quality is so good that I'd consider it a replacement for a DSLR for many purposes.

$800 is a lot of money, though. I'd still recommend looking at the Sony RX100 as it's got a nice balance of IQ, features, and price.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

05-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'm going to be getting the GR IV on Thursday (GR is already here), so I will be able to do a quick comparison for you. I'm pretty sure the main difference is going to be the image quality. The GR is as good as a DSLR (i.e. the K-5), the GR IV isn't.

I've had a chance to play with the GR for a while now and it's got a lot of advanced features and allows for a great deal of customization. I wouldn't describe the interface as intuitive, however. It takes a while to get used to, and even then, some things can be difficult to access due to the way the interface is set up. The GR has two FN buttons which can be mapped to control just about anything. The settings that are not mapped, however, are then buried in the menu. (i.e. if you map FN1 to flash compensation and FN2 to continuous shooting, you can't even get to auto-bracketing to the self timer without switching modes). The AF also isn't brilliant when you're indoors. With that said, the image quality is so good that I'd consider it a replacement for a DSLR for many purposes.

$800 is a lot of money, though. I'd still recommend looking at the Sony RX100 as it's got a nice balance of IQ, features, and price.
Thank you Adam for the advice. I really would love to have the GR as my everyday camera. I've looked into the Sony RX100, and many people ended up selling theirs due to the interface and the overall opinion I gather from people is that it's a camera built for gadget lovers. The Ricoh GRD series is a camera built for photographers. I know that if I get the GRD IV, the image quality will not be DSLR, but more along the lines of LX5, XZ-1. I look forward to the quick comparison of the GRD IV and the GR. Thank you for your time and understanding!
05-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have the GRD 4 and I love it. I plan to buy the GR and keep the GRD 4 at the beginning.
Being able to have the K-5 IQ in the pocket is just amazing.
Then maybe I'll end up selling the 4 but I'm not sure yet.

If I were you I would get a GR because you won't need to upgrade it for years.
I think the next iteration, if there is one, won't bring dramatic changes compared to this one (maybe a faster AF and a 24 Mp sensor).

05-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As Nick said above, I'd get/save up for the GR if I were you. I've compared my friend's GRD IV and the GR, there is no contest except macros which the GRD IV has advantage. If money isn't an issue, just get the GR when it's available. Otherwise can wait for a while until its market prices settle down a bit and give yourself a bit more time to save up for it. Really worth it.

In Japan the GR has been sold out in many shops even before the camera hits the stores (by 24 May), many of them don't accept pre order anymore due to overwhelming responses.
05-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I have an RX100 and wouldn't swap it for either Ricoh cameras
05-14-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I have an RX100 and wouldn't swap it for either Ricoh cameras
Had it too, sold it soon after. It's a great camera, takes excellent pictures. But I just didn't have the mood or joy using it. A lot time I didn't bother taking it out to shoot even I had it w/ me.

But I can foresee that I'd use GR a lot, probably more than any camera I've owned so far

It's said that the best camera is the one with you, but I'd say the best camera is the one with you and you really use it to take photos
05-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I've used the GRDIII since 2009 and have had the GR for two days now and it is a huge step up in IQ, though every single other aspect is essentially the same with some slight variations in controls (negligible) . The one difference to note however is the lowlight AF on the GRDIII is markedly faster - the GRDIV is essentially a gussied up GRDIII, slight improvements all around but not a huge difference overall. All of these models have a certain learning curve to them because the controls and menu system are so powerful and customizable, it also makes the slightly daunting when first wading in. Once you are in though you'll yell back to shore that "the water's fine!".
If you are merely interested in getting into the water at a cost that is easy to swallow, I'd actually simply recommend the GRDIII - you can find it as low as $200 if you look hard and it's an admirable little guy. If you want to move to the GR later, as I have, it's as easy as can be.

05-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I've just peeked through your Flickr stream though and wondered if all of that is what you are currently selling? If so, and you're used to shooting 31mm limited or FA50mm on a Pentax K-r and looking for one small camera to take up all that slack, the IQ of the GRDIII and IV may leave you wanting, but I can safely say that it's doubtful that the GR will. AF may indeed improve with firmware... I'd let the cost make the decision for you, though letting go of that 31mm should more than finance a GR (though it makes me a bit sad to see anyone do it hehehehe). Cheers and best luck!
05-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I've just peeked through your Flickr stream though and wondered if all of that is what you are currently selling? If so, and you're used to shooting 31mm limited or FA50mm on a Pentax K-r and looking for one small camera to take up all that slack, the IQ of the GRDIII and IV may leave you wanting, but I can safely say that it's doubtful that the GR will. AF may indeed improve with firmware... I'd let the cost make the decision for you, though letting go of that 31mm should more than finance a GR (though it makes me a bit sad to see anyone do it hehehehe). Cheers and best luck!
Thank you chickentender, I indeed did sell both my fa 31 and 77 and am trying to sell my Kr. I know that technically the FA 31 would cover the cost, but my goal is to have money to cover living expenses. So my price range at most is $350 for a camera that I can afford. I hope to one day reacquire the FA limiteds again, in silver of course. I'm looking at some GR IV's for about $330-$350 or a GR II for about $220. Only time will tell if I can afford them :-( if people don't go crazy on the bidding of course!
05-25-2013, 11:26 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by theperception2008 Quote
Thank you chickentender, I indeed did sell both my fa 31 and 77 and am trying to sell my Kr. I know that technically the FA 31 would cover the cost, but my goal is to have money to cover living expenses. So my price range at most is $350 for a camera that I can afford. I hope to one day reacquire the FA limiteds again, in silver of course. I'm looking at some GR IV's for about $330-$350 or a GR II for about $220. Only time will tell if I can afford them :-( if people don't go crazy on the bidding of course!
?Mint? Ricoh GR Digital III 3 Digital Camera Black from Japan GR 3 26649732430 | eBay

There's a good looking III with no reserve. day and a half left to go.
05-25-2013, 11:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
?Mint? Ricoh GR Digital III 3 Digital Camera Black from Japan GR 3 26649732430 | eBay

There's a good looking III with no reserve. day and a half left to go.
Oh thanks CT, I just put it on my watch list. I'm trying to keep it in the EU or in the U.S. as I live in Poland and anything valued over $50 USD gets import tax added to it. My family lives in the U.S. so they can send me a little care package if they wanted to.
05-31-2013, 04:13 AM   #13

I too have the GRDIV

I too have the GRD IV and its great!

First time I saw one and handled it I didnt know much about it, it felt light and very small.

On second fondling of GRD III (after research) I order a GRD IV as soon as they were announced. I had the first one in Hong Kong delivered to me.

Its great, the lens is sharp corner to corner, very customisable, 1cm macro mode. Not a lot not to like.

Yes the GR looks great, yes I want it, but the GRD IV is cool too. Get them whilst they are still around.

Cheers
06-01-2013, 01:09 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Chicken Tender, the auction ended way higher than what the GR III should cost.

In fact I have noticed a price increase for all Ricoh GR series cameras. I wonder if all the hype over the GR V has gotten people more interested in Ricoh and want to try something by them first before dropping money for the new GR V.

I have suspended my search for a GR as their prices on the used market have increased and my Kr didn't sell, so I'll slap on an A series lens I still have and continue photographing with this set up. I was hoping to sell my Kr since I no longer have my two favorite lenses and it just makes me sad. I'm sure they are in great and capable hands of the Pentaxians that bought them, but even looking at my Kr just pains me :-(. Now I have even more motivation to pass my exams and finally get a real career.
06-01-2013, 01:14 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi partagas,

I am really interested in the GR IV as it has the most useful features (to me) in a camera of its size and price. I only wish I had taken and passed the stupid exam a year ago! Then I might have been able to keep my lenses AND get a GR Digital. No use crying over spilt milk :-P. Thank you for your insight in to the GR. I don't think I have heard a single GR user not call their camera great... sounds kinda fishy ;-)