Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DPR review...

... of the Nikon A is up. I only mention it here, because in the conclusion of the review they state their opinion that the GR is superior in almost every way (albeit only slightly). Their GR review is to appear in a couple of weeks.

06-06-2013, 11:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes -- I made a comment in their News area that, if they are going to do a Comparison Review, wait til you can really test BOTH cameras!

Both have selling points -- the Nikon's got Dynamic Range settings, and the Ricoh's got our 'kill for' TAv. Just wish the Ricoh had the same battery as my K-01!

Also -- re the comments about getting an optical viewfinder for these cameras... save your money. These are shirt-pocket cameras. Which they aren't when you put on an OVF. Won't fit in that pocket anymore. So for anything on a strap around your shoulder, get a DSLR or a K-01!

EDIT -- I have a Sony RX100, another shirt-pocket camera. So for me, it's a question whether the GR (I'm not even considering the Nikon) is a $900 gain over the Sony (camera plus real charger plus spare battery). Not sure. The smaller 1" sensor and 10mm lens on the Sony might just be the sweet spot for snapshot photography... better depth-of-field when wide open than the 18mm APS-C. But the GR has TAv, Snap Focus mode, and considerably better image quality... AND that hot shoe, so I could use Pocketwizards in a pinch.
Any comments on this 'buy - don't buy' decision would be appreciated!

Last edited by jon404; 06-07-2013 at 12:13 AM.
06-07-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
Yes -- I made a comment in their News area that, if they are going to do a Comparison Review, wait til you can really test BOTH cameras!

Both have selling points -- the Nikon's got Dynamic Range settings, and the Ricoh's got our 'kill for' TAv. Just wish the Ricoh had the same battery as my K-01!

Also -- re the comments about getting an optical viewfinder for these cameras... save your money. These are shirt-pocket cameras. Which they aren't when you put on an OVF. Won't fit in that pocket anymore. So for anything on a strap around your shoulder, get a DSLR or a K-01!

EDIT -- I have a Sony RX100, another shirt-pocket camera. So for me, it's a question whether the GR (I'm not even considering the Nikon) is a $900 gain over the Sony (camera plus real charger plus spare battery). Not sure. The smaller 1" sensor and 10mm lens on the Sony might just be the sweet spot for snapshot photography... better depth-of-field when wide open than the 18mm APS-C. But the GR has TAv, Snap Focus mode, and considerably better image quality... AND that hot shoe, so I could use Pocketwizards in a pinch.
Any comments on this 'buy - don't buy' decision would be appreciated!
You can put the OVF in your other shirt-pocket and use it when needed . Just got my GR a couple of hours ago and so far loving it! Tomorrow itīs gonna be my wide angle while K-5 is taking 55-300 lens. Should be a nice combo I think .
06-07-2013, 04:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

A VERY nice combo! Let me know how it works out. Would only need the one lens for the K-5, then, you think? Makes sense.

06-08-2013, 04:45 AM   #5
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yorik Quote
I only mention it here, because in the conclusion of the review they state their opinion that the GR is superior in almost every way (albeit only slightly).
I think it's myth. GR has some advantages over Nikon, Nikon has advantages over Ricoh.
06-08-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
GR has some advantages over Nikon, Nikon has advantages over Ricoh.
That seems to be the consensus of all reviews that I have read comparing the two, and the bottom line seems
to be that you can't go wrong with either one...

That makes the $300 price difference a huge advantage for the GR.
06-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What is interesting is the GR appears to win on performance, IQ, etc.

But it KILLS on price.

06-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
French magazine Chasseur d'images (which I highly value their reviews) would have given it a 6 stars out of 5 would it had an optical viewfinder ! Without, it ended up with 4 stars, but the lack of viewfinder is the only thing that set it back in their views, and also agree that is superior to its Nikon competitor.
06-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Re OVFs -- I think I'll stick a little velcro circle on the top of my RX100, which will let me attach an old Olympus VF-1 optical viewfinder. Between velcro and gaffers tape, you're all set!