Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2013, 06:39 PM   #31
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote

I'm looking at the GR because I've found that almost all my snapshots with the RX100 are at the default startup 28mm equiv. setting, and because I'd really like to have a shirt pocket camera with TAv... my favorite mode on the K-01. But it is frustrating -- they announce a camera, they review a camera, but there's no place to go see and hold the camera before buying it!
:
It's a bummer, yes. But again, it's not so bad you buy it without trying, then if you don't like it, sell it, for even more like some people are doing because that damn camera is a hot product!

07-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
Ha! Nikon 1! Well, here's a confession... I have a Sony RX100 as my 'always with you' shirt pocket camera, and the 1" sensor size is a VERY elegant compromise. You can have a physically small camera, massive DOF, and very good image quality. The RX100 is much better at twilight than the older Olympus XZ-1 it replaced. Not as good in low light as my APS-C K-01, but then, what is? Have fun with the Nikon. One thing's for sure... you'll never get a backache carrying it around!
*Laughing* I've ended up *not* getting the V1 I wanted, too many hoops to jump through to buy from Cameta if you dont live in the US, and they had the best price. I really like the 10mm lens on the J1. The day I bought it, I had gone out with the express intent of getting an RX100... but for some reason it just didnt feel right, and then, when I found the J1 with the two lenses (10mm and 10-30) for just over half the cost of the RX, it was a no brainer. I'm keeping my XZ-1 I think.

I still want a GR, though, and I have decided to bite the bullet and order online even though I havent gone hands on. I have a GRDIII and really, that should be enough of an indicator... and I love that. So, once funds have built up again (hate having to save for stuff, life changes when you no longer work...) the GR will wing its way to me. Then, I'll have to decide whether to keep the X100.
07-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #33

My X100s is in service the second time know since I bought it... I am glad I had a go with the GR while it's being fixed! Being able to shoot a few shots after another is perfect, even if the X100s has some sort of "burst mode", but it isn't quite the same.
Dunno which camera will stay, but it looks like the Ricoh is upfront right now.
07-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #34
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by burt Quote
My X100s is in service the second time know since I bought it... I am glad I had a go with the GR while it's being fixed! Being able to shoot a few shots after another is perfect, even if the X100s has some sort of "burst mode", but it isn't quite the same.
I has X100 for 6 months. Loved the innovative O/EVF, loved the output when the camera decided to work well. But God, it was so slow, I also had a sticky aperture problem, and battery life was horrible. Compared to my Pentax DSLR, it was like a machine from the 19th century.
Then sold it — although I hate selling cameras but the everyday experience with it was unbearable — and got myself a Q and three lenses. Sounds crazy, yes, but Q did not disappoint in any regard, ever. And I love it to bits.

07-28-2013, 05:14 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by burt Quote
Welcome to PF.
07-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Yes! Welcome, Burt. This is a good, friendly forum with lots of great advice about Pentax cameras and lenses.

Something I think is very special about my K-01 -- and it is also on the GR -- is a shooting mode called TAv, where you can set both the shutter speed AND the aperture, and the camera then picks an ISO within a range you can specify, like 100-1600. Looking forward to seeing and handling a GR... it may be my next shirt-pocket camera!
07-29-2013, 05:25 AM   #37

Thanks everyone!
I played with the TAv mode at night already and loved it! Brilliant feature, especially when setting a certain ISO range. As much as I love the retro looks of the X100s, I barely use the mode dial for setting the shutter speed. I really prefer this on the GR.

I must admit though, that I quite prefer the 35mm equiv. to the 28mm, which a just a bit too wide for me personally... Deep down inside I pray for a new GXR to arrive with an APS-C sized sensor and a fast 35mm equiv lens
07-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #38
Veteran Member

@Burt -- tell me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the GR have a setting that crops the image to a 35mm equiv? So what you see in the viewfinder, and the image you take, is 35mm equiv? Probably reduces the image size some... like from 16MP to 10MP... but that might work for you and your preferred 35mm equiv field of view...