06-12-2013, 03:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fuji X100s vs Ricoh GR vs Nikon Coolpix A

Another comparison video :

06-12-2013, 04:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Thank Nick. Very nice comparison. The GR seems to hold up very nicely against the Fuji. I was particularly struck by the effusive praise for the wide-angle adapter for the GR and how sharp it is.
06-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Even the GXR A12 28mm is smaller than the hefty Fuji so I'm continuously amazed at the insistence on using the X100 to compare with the GR. The whopping great X100s is twice as heavy and so much more cumbersome so where's the comparison even begin? Simply by calling them both 'street shooters' you wave a magic wand and suddenly they're comparable? I don't buy that for one instant - the Fuji isn't even remotely discreet, may as well be comparing with a big silver DSLR for ll the sense such a comparison makes.
06-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #4

Thanks for the very informative review, Nick. I particularly like your "I'll be back", sounding just like Arnold's Ze Terminater.

Let's not forget that the Fuji is readily USD500 above the GR, although I am aware that the VF option on the GR will reduce the overall financial advantage.

06-16-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
Even the GXR A12 28mm is smaller than the hefty Fuji so I'm continuously amazed at the insistence on using the X100 to compare with the GR. The whopping great X100s is twice as heavy and so much more cumbersome so where's the comparison even begin? Simply by calling them both 'street shooters' you wave a magic wand and suddenly they're comparable? I don't buy that for one instant - the Fuji isn't even remotely discreet, may as well be comparing with a big silver DSLR for ll the sense such a comparison makes.
The Fuji X100 is much smaller than a DSLR, and very ergonomic.
The Ricoh is too small, and the controls are not in the right place.

Most importantly the Fujis are proven gorgeous image makers.
Check some threads in our very own Pentax Forum...

Chris
06-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
The Fuji X100 is much smaller than a DSLR, and very ergonomic.
The Ricoh is too small, and the controls are not in the right place.

Most importantly the Fujis are proven gorgeous image makers.
Check some threads in our very own Pentax Forum...

Chris
Chris,

I must admit that I have not handled the GR, so could you explain how it is too small and the controls are not in the right place? I've watched several video reviews of it and, of course, I'd like to move a thing or two but I can't say they are in the wrong place so much as not in the place I would prefer. As for size, it looks to be very compact - but isn't that part of the whole gestalt of the camera and part of its reason for existing?
06-16-2013, 09:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Chris,I must admit that I have not handled the GR, so could you explain how it is too small and the controls are not in the right place? I've watched several video reviews of it and, of course, I'd like to move a thing or two but I can't say they are in the wrong place so much as not in the place I would prefer. As for size, it looks to be very compact - but isn't that part of the whole gestalt of the camera and part of its reason for existing?
There is such a thing as over-miniaturization. Cameras smaller than the X100 are too small
to be held steadily and operated easily by a humans with average size hands and fingers.

There is little rhyme or reason to control placement on digital cameras.
The Ricoh, like nearly all others, seems to position them wherever they fit.
And the model that replaces it will surely place them somewhere else.

OTOH the X100 aperture and shutter speed dials are ideally positioned in the same place as classic 35mm film cameras.
Further all essential controls can be operated without ever removing your eye from the excellent built-in hybrid viewfinder.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 06-16-2013 at 09:58 AM.
06-16-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

There is such a thing as over-miniaturization. Cameras smaller than the X100 are too small
to be held and operated easily by a humans with average size hands and fingers.

There is little rhyme or reason to control placement on digital cameras.
The Ricoh, like nearly all others, seems to position them wherever they fit.
And the model that replaces it will surely place them somewhere else.

OTOH the X100 places aperture and shutter speed dials are in the same place as classic 35mm film cameras.
Further all essential controls can be operated without ever removing your eye from the viewfinder.

Chris
Ah, so you like the traditional Rangefinder setup and the physical ability to touch and see the settings, even when the camera is turned off. As for too small, I find using the Q (even with my larger hands) to be very easy - so is the GR somehow smaller than the Q and its buttons?
06-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The cheaper cameras get after being out a while, the better they get. Little things don't seem to matter so much or any short comings of the camera wash out when it is inexpensive compared to if it costs a lot, it seems.

Ergonomically, the X100 has a few mistakes. And with all the buttons on the back, it is not quite the same experience as handling a film camera of similar design, IMHO. The EV dial is a gotcha on the X100. You have to remember make that the first thing you look at when turning the camera on because it is so easy to inadvertently change. It should have been a locking EV dial. And a lens cap that is begging to be lost plus a lens without internal filter threads.

Adding filter threads with an adapter just means one more thing to lose or keep track of. It wouldn't be so bad if you could just leave it on but the lens cap does not fit on it worth crap and the OEM leather case does not accommodate it well at all. You can get a generic, clip-on lens cap to fit the filter adapter and get a 3rd party leather case to help resolve those issues, however. No one camera is perfect or meets everyone's needs. You should still have a lot of fun shooting it and it's good training with its single focal length ( two really with its macro capability).
06-17-2013, 06:53 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ergonomically the X100 is not perfect. But it gets most things right, or close enough.
The same could never, ever be said about the vast majority of digital camera designs.

Chris
07-01-2013, 06:31 PM   #11
Banned

Ergonomically the X100 is not perfect. But it gets most things right, or close enough.
The same could never, ever be said about the vast majority of digital camera designs.

Chris
You understand that GR is designed to be operated with one hand?
Whilst X100 and X100s you can't operate with one hand.

So your talk about GR being defunct for handling, over-miniaturised or whatever, relates solely to your grasp of shooting, nothing else.

Last edited by Uluru; 07-01-2013 at 06:39 PM.
07-01-2013, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #12
Banned

Is this defunct masculine psychology at work, or what, that three quite different cameras are separated with VS in between them.

Today's cheap and mind-numbing approach of comparing unique products by denigrating their intrinsic values through combat and list of ingredients, only testifies that people have even less money than common sense.

Thus to get to the point of usefulness for those who are left with no sense, a total worthlessness of any product is then established by dissecting them into forcefully compared specs that no longer mean anything.

Is there any sane person or a reviewer that will say, "Let's stop this senseless masculine combat nonsense, I won't compare one different camera with another, but point out where each one shines. Because of both life becomes even more meaningful".
07-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Is this defunct masculine psychology at work, or what, that three quite different cameras are separated with VS in between them.

Today's cheap and mind-numbing approach of comparing unique products by denigrating their intrinsic values through combat and list of ingredients, only testifies that people have even less money than common sense.

Thus to get to the point of usefulness for those who are left with no sense, a total worthlessness of any product is then established by dissecting them into forcefully compared specs that no longer mean anything.

Is there any sane person or a reviewer that will say, "Let's stop this senseless masculine combat nonsense, I won't compare one different camera with another, but point out where each one shines. Because of both life becomes even more meaningful".
Well, a review that points out only "where each one shines" is called a "press release", and there're plenty of those. Incidentally, the people writing such a "review" is called a "PR agent", and not a reviewer.

The value of a well-done review is, that it saves me from buying and testing gear myself - and so, I want to know also (and especially) the "weak spots" of a product so that I can decide if those are important enough to warrant passing it over for an alternative product.
07-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Far out, man. Who the hell needs a camera anyway?

Chris
07-02-2013, 01:18 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Wow, just Wow. Such semantic complexity and obfuscation requires at least some acknowledgement. "defunct masculine psychology at work" and "senseless masculine combat nonsense" rank right up there with the most classic of meaningless phrases.

Comparison of products and looking their strengths and weaknesses has nothing to do with masculinity or combat and is definitely not "nonsense", but to each their own. Thanks for the laughs this afternoon though.