Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
07-05-2013, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
There is such a thing as over-miniaturization. Cameras smaller than the X100 are too small
to be held steadily and operated easily by a humans with average size hands and fingers...
Tell that to Daido. The GR is essentially unchanged since the 90s. All these comparisons are personal preference wrapped in specs.

And what's with the hostility in this thread? How about y'all go shoot with whatever cam you're currently in love with and post some pictures of puppies.

07-06-2013, 02:47 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
Another comparison video :
Nice one, Nick You better be back!
07-06-2013, 11:34 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Gotta disagree with you on this one, Chris... I've used both cameras extensively and I much prefer the handling of the GR to the X100/s. Small, lightweight, insanely customizable controls, spectacular IQ, just enough grip. I'm totally in love with this thing.

edit: That's not to say the X100/s doesn't have a lot to offer; I just prefer the handling of the GR, and I think your assertion that its controls are distributed pretty much at random is way off the mark.

Last edited by deadwolfbones; 07-07-2013 at 07:03 AM.
07-07-2013, 08:22 PM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Gotta disagree with you on this one, Chris... I've used both cameras extensively and I much prefer the handling of the GR to the X100/s. Small, lightweight, insanely customizable controls, spectacular IQ, just enough grip. I'm totally in love with this thing.

edit: That's not to say the X100/s doesn't have a lot to offer; I just prefer the handling of the GR, and I think your assertion that its controls are distributed pretty much at random is way off the mark.
Agree here - I owned the X100 for a time, and though the image quality was good, I found it uncomfortable to shoot. The GR, on the other hand, is comfortable (love the large grip - all compact cameras should have a grip like the GR). And the controls are super easy to adjust with one hand. It's a fun camera, and image quality is outstanding.

07-08-2013, 04:21 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I think your assertion that its controls are distributed pretty much at random is way off the mark.
Let's see if they're in the same place on the next model.

Chris
07-08-2013, 04:30 AM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Looks pretty similar to me. Almost like they just added a button or function or two.
07-08-2013, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

Yeah, the design of the GR series hasn't changed much since the original GR Digital (2005). It's been refined, but that's all. Because it works.

07-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #23
Veteran Member

clarification...

The middle cam of those photos JinDesu posted is a GXR,not a GR series at all. Here we go in chronological and we'll see if we can establish a visual trendline...

From top to bottom (excuse my 2min hack-job of a photo mash...):

Ricoh GR Digital I
Ricoh GR Digital II
Ricoh GR Digital III
Ricoh GR Digital IV
Pentax-Ricoh GR
Attached Images

07-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Thanks for the correction. Looks even more similar.
07-18-2013, 01:03 AM   #25
Veteran Member

You know what gets me? There's no place in the San Diego, California area where I can go to handle both cameras (GR and X100S), to directly compare them myself.

At the prices these things sell for, you'd think there would be demo models available in every big city. 2.5 millon people here, what's wrong, Ricoh and Fuji? And please, don't give me any BS about being too-small camera companies. These are two LARGE corporations. Lazy marketing?
07-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #26
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
You know what gets me? There's no place in the San Diego, California area where I can go to handle both cameras (GR and X100S), to directly compare them myself.

At the prices these things sell for, you'd think there would be demo models available in every big city. 2.5 millon people here, what's wrong, Ricoh and Fuji? And please, don't give me any BS about being too-small camera companies. These are two LARGE corporations. Lazy marketing?
:
Too many demands, around the globe. Both are very appealing cameras and everyone wants them.
07-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
:
Too many demands, around the globe. Both are very appealing cameras and everyone wants them.
Indeed. I want to go hands on with a GR (though I dont expect it to feel largely different to my GRDIII) before I would commit. However, I've just expended the money I was saving for that, on two Nikon 1 bodies and a bunch of lenses. So, maybe the next version
07-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Ha! Nikon 1! Well, here's a confession... I have a Sony RX100 as my 'always with you' shirt pocket camera, and the 1" sensor size is a VERY elegant compromise. You can have a physically small camera, massive DOF, and very good image quality. The RX100 is much better at twilight than the older Olympus XZ-1 it replaced. Not as good in low light as my APS-C K-01, but then, what is? Have fun with the Nikon. One thing's for sure... you'll never get a backache carrying it around!
07-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
Not as good in low light as my APS-C K-01, but then, what is?
The GR ?
07-21-2013, 04:59 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Nick -- Not as good in low light? I think close, but not quite as good, just because of the small GR form factor -- that sensor will run hotter than the one in the K-01 with its large case (side-benefit of being a 'brick'). Aside from that, the same... with a possible edge to the GR for dumping the anti-aliasing filter.

In real life? Probably no difference at all. How many of us are making 30" x 40" prints? Zero difference for 11"x14" prints or smaller, right? And -- again in real life -- we crop, we reduce, we HDR, we sharpen... which makes a joke of the whole comparison thing anyway.

I'm looking at the GR because I've found that almost all my snapshots with the RX100 are at the default startup 28mm equiv. setting, and because I'd really like to have a shirt pocket camera with TAv... my favorite mode on the K-01. But it is frustrating -- they announce a camera, they review a camera, but there's no place to go see and hold the camera before buying it!