Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #1

My new GR

Hello all!

Newly registered member here just wanted to share some images, thoughts and had a few questions.

I'll start off with my thoughts on the camera. (Nothing too in depth just quick thoughts)

UI: My first GR Digital (shot with the gr1s before which was also very good) and the UI and customization is perfect, even after coming from the older x100. Took me a day of shooting to set every button to what i want, never read the manual the main menu is seriously straight forward.

Ergo: Very very comfortable in the hand. I went into Samys prior to picking up a GR and played around with the Nikon A. Although the Nikon A was very solid and robust feeling, the handling was not comparable to the Ricoh to be honest. The Ricoh is so light, reminds of the GR1, easy to carry around. I do not like the hand strap though, I need to wrap my middle finger around the strap while on my wrist as to not having it slip out of my hand.

AF: In daylight its fast, in semi low light its decent, and in very low light it hunts. But I am not a quick draw shooter and because i shoot alot of film I am used to addressing a scene and taking my time before releasing the shutter.

IQ: This impressed me the most. The tonal qualities and dynamic range remind me of film. I have only worked with OOC jpegs so far but they are very nice to work with in LR in terms of tone adjustments. **I'm comparing this experience to that of the x100 which was nice but I was never completely amazed by its IQ and malleability in post.

Charging: Did not come with a dedicated wall charger but instead a usb charger. It charges through the camera which is good and bad. I would like to get another battery charge it while still being able to use the camera.

Which leads to my question: Will charging the camera through a USB iPhone car charger ruin the battery?

Thanks for reading.

Images (with tone adjustments only):

Last photo was taken at night, dim parking lot lights and was handheld.

***ALL IMAGES ARE OOC JPEGS AND EDITED IN LR3

I update my tumblr (archi-tap.tumblr.com) and flickr often, you all can check back for more images from the Ricoh.

Thanks for reading my long post!

Marc

06-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congrats on the new toy, I am jealous. Welcome to the forums.
06-12-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on the GR, those jpegs look very good. Thanks for the variety of shots as well, gives us an idea of low light/night, close ups, B&W.
06-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcom guys!

Thought i would share another photo i took. This time i had the Dynamic Range set to Auto to see its capabilities. Shot with the ND filter on, ISO 320 at 2.8 and 1/1000 sec. I wanted to see the sharpness and dof field in daylight (semi sunset). Focused on the palm tree just behind the bench handheld.

PP in LR3 slight curve adjustment and a little sharpness added.

The scene is fairly complex because of the grass leaves, shadow/highlight areas but imo the camera handeled it very very well.

thanks for looking!

06-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by architap Quote
dynamic range remind me of film.
Do you mean the dynamic range a B&W using the zone system or the dynamic range of chrome film?
06-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
Do you mean the dynamic range a B&W using the zone system or the dynamic range of chrome film?
What i meant was the way the camera handles highlights and shadows
06-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If the battery is made to charge via USB I would think a car charger would work. Some of the cheaper rate USB car chargers might be a little wimpy but should still work. Maybe that's a good reason to read the book.

Nice camera... I'm a bit jealous too.

Last edited by OrangeKx; 06-15-2013 at 06:22 PM. Reason: added text.