Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

The GXR system: potentially sinister?

I got to test a GXR with the A16 module for the first time today. And I must say that I was very intrigued. The thing looks evil and futuristic in the best possible sense of the words; the image quality was impressive as well. Two thoughts came to my mind:

(i) Surely it is only a matter of time before we get a K-mount module for this ingenious system? This should be far more likely than the introduction of a K-02.

The second thought was of a sinister nature:

(ii) Suppose if some shady East-Asian outfit started manufacturing modules compatible with the GXR for m4/3, Canon, Nikon, and Sony? Some would be very displeased, whereas others would be rubbing their hands in glee.

08-24-2013, 07:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

hm, question 2 would be interesting.
I have not checked the GXR in detail, so I do not know the details of what is in the camera and what is in the lensmodule.
But I think it's probably not very easy for a third party without Pentax R&D know-how to create lensmodules that actually work with the module.

Also another questions comes up: does the GXR sell well enough to be interesting in that prospect?
Is there a possible market for those modules?

BR René
08-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
hm, question 2 would be interesting.
I have not checked the GXR in detail, so I do not know the details of what is in the camera and what is in the lensmodule.
But I think it's probably not very easy for a third party without Pentax R&D know-how to create lensmodules that actually work with the module.

Also another questions comes up: does the GXR sell well enough to be interesting in that prospect?
Is there a possible market for those modules?

BR René
The Chinese have shown themselves to be proficient copiers of anything Japanese, just as the Germans showed themselves to be proficient copiers of British technology more than a century ago.

Currently GXR does not sell well enough and it is considered a niche product. Still, I think this is a system with considerable potential. I definitely believe it is possible to create a market for the GXR beyond that of a niche product.

I noticed that there are hardly any reviews of Ricoh items on this site. Even the Pentaxians have not taken the time acquaint themselves with the Ricoh line-up. I myself took the first step in Ricoh's direction just a few days ago.
08-24-2013, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Same opinion here! (about the reviews)
I LOVE this forum, I really do. When I bought my K-30 half a year ago, this site helped me a lot to discover how-to's, others opinions and techniques, lenses, etc etc...

No I am selling the K-30 in the marketplace (my glass is already gone, just the body left), because I don't want to carry a DSLR around with me anymore, and I am going to buy a Ricoh GR today. I was thinking about the GXR, but in the end, GR fits better to my needs.
And as you say, the Ricoh part of this forum is a ghosttown. No one posting, no reviews, ... scary.

I hope we can bring a little bit more life into it.

But on the other hand, I understand it from a market point of view.
Shooters who take photography serious or even do it for a living will buy (and talk about) a DSLR in 99% of the case, and maybe have a good point-and-shoot as a side-tool (which they do not talk about that much I guess). And everyone who just wants a point-and-shoot will buy a cheap coolpix or whatever those things are called nowadays (or the will just stick with their smartphone if they are younger than 30 years old).
So the high class compact market itself is tiny, the GXR market whithin it even tinier, and therefore also this forum is tiny tiny tiny.

Anyhow, I believe those cameras to be awesome products, and I can't wait to get my GR finally (have been testing it in the store last week and immediately fell in love).

Shortly about the GXR: I think it is a brilliant idea, but lives or dies with the market. If enough people buy it, new "lensors" will be produced.
If no one cares, it is just a curious footnote in a history book.
Kind of like electric cars in the 70's, where nobody cared about them at all and they were just a crazy idea with fleet tests.
Nowadays... comeback.

René

08-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I am somewhat surprised that you are going for the GR, even though the GXR with the A16 module can be procured for very little nowadays - at least in some parts of Europe. But I am sure that you know your own needs better than I do. I would also recommend that you check out their 50mm macro module, if you haven't done so already. I think it would be a good idea to create K-mount modules for the GXR with different sensors: cost-efficient ones for those who are merely curious and premium ones for those who mean real business. I really do not see why NEX and PEN should be more successful than the GXR; at the end of the day it is all a question of marketing.
08-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DominicVII Quote
But I am sure that you know your own needs better than I do.
Basically it comes down to size. The GR is just a tack smaller, pocketable, no lens sticking out in front.
And the combination of 18mm lens (28 in 35mm equivalent) and APS-C is basically exactly what I need.
I have been checking my EXIF of the pictures I have been taking with my K-30.
Most of it was 18mm on the DA 18-135 ! That's just what I shoot 80% of the time.

I really do not see why NEX and PEN should be more successful than the GXR; at the end of the day it is all a question of marketing.
Pentax at least has never been good at marketing as far as I can tell ;-) I don't know about Ricoh, but they also seem to be flying a bit under the radar. Before I starting taking photography seriously, I have never heard of one of the two, while I knew Nikon, Canon, Sony etc of course...
08-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
Pentax at least has never been good at marketing as far as I can tell ;-) I don't know about Ricoh, but they also seem to be flying a bit under the radar. Before I starting taking photography seriously, I have never heard of one of the two, while I knew Nikon, Canon, Sony etc of course...
Marketing costs money. Pentax never had the financial muscle of Canikon. When I grew up, Yashica were really big. Look where they are now. I really hope that the Chinese will find a way to resuscitate Yashica (highly unlikely). Konica-Minolta is another sad story. What happened to Yashica and Minolta, could easily also have happened to Pentax.
08-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #8
Veteran Member

true that

09-29-2013, 12:52 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
While the GXR system is pretty old, it is still a great system and because of this, I got the GXR with the A12 28/2.5 some days back.
10-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #10

I've just ordered my first GXR (October 2013) kit along with the two A12 lenses, and am pretty excited about this upcoming experience! I therefore should be back to this forum pretty soon.
10-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
(i) Surely it is only a matter of time before we get a K-mount module for this ingenious system? This should be far more likely than the introduction of a K-02.
IMO Ricoh should take things in another direction and come up with a compact APS-C or FF mirrorless system with a short registration distance. Seeing how the GXR isn't even available in the US any more, I think it may have been discontinued.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #12
JPT
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Marathonianbull Quote
I've just ordered my first GXR (October 2013) kit along with the two A12 lenses, and am pretty excited about this upcoming experience! I therefore should be back to this forum pretty soon.
Congratulations! It's a really nice system to use and offers great image quality. I think they handle better than most DSLRs.

And, as Adam said, they seem to be discontinued here in Japan too, but you can still get most of the units if you look around. With both the GXR and K-01 out of production, Ricoh must have something planned in this area.
12-13-2014, 09:16 PM   #13

All right, let me tell you this as promised above : the GXR rocks, be it with its two GR A12 28mm / 50mm Macro module or with the A12 M-mount adapter!
05-25-2015, 02:45 AM   #14
Site Supporter

I sold off my GXR in early 2014 but just 2 weeks ago saw a good deal for a 2nd hand great condition GXR with A12 28mm and M module and then last week bought the VF-2 EVF and another body as a package deal (2nd hand of course). Both bodies are in great condition although one is still in warranty.

The one I got with the VF-2 had the icons on the dial gone missing. Called the local distributor and waiting for the replacement dial to come in 4 weeks.

That makes it 2 GXRs; 1 with M module and the other with the 28mm. I also ordered the Kipon K to M adapter from Evil Bay and waiting for it to arrive in sunny Singapore.

Looks like the interest for this great system seems to have died out.
06-12-2015, 11:24 AM   #15
Site Supporter

GXR Infrared

Enjoyed reading all the comments about the GXR and the Lens Modules

Have the Body & am waiting for an S10 24-72mm Full Spectrum Infrared along with a 650nm IR Filter.

Although this is just the 1/1.7" sensor may have to look for a Ricoh APS-C sensor lens. Which one leaves puzzled as have never really gone for a "Prime" lens with any of my other DSLR or Mirrorless Cameras. It is to compliment my Oly E-500 650nm Infrared Camera sizw wise.

Would be interested to hear any comments about the APS-C lenses and where to look for them in addition to Ebay.

An APS-C Infrared converted would be a bonus though. But even the price of the few I have seen where rather high.

Cheers for years
Colin