Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2013, 01:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Ricoh GR freeze on USB connect / support?

Hi guys,

I hope this does not turn out to be my first bad experience with Ricoh GR, but I want to start the thread anyhow...
I already used the camera on both my work- and private laptop, simple by connecting with the standard USB cable and uploading my pictures.
It worked on both, nothing too complicated.

But today I had the occurrence of the Ricoh GR freezing when connecting to my work laptop.
"Connecting to PC" froze on screen, and it never showed up in Windows explorer (Win7).
After disconnecting the USB cable, that status on the camera did not go away, no matter what I pressed.
To remedy that, I had to take out the battery.

I retried it a few times of course, also restarted my PC, did not help.

Now I have to say that the Ricoh homepage does not seem prepared for the GR up to now.
Neither on the Japanese nor the American homepage could I find support for the "GR", only for "GR Digital" one to four and GXR.
My firmware version is 1.11, and I can't even find out if that is the latest version.

Anyhow, I sent a support request to Ricoh, let's see if and when they will respond.
In parallel, I will try it on my private laptop when I get home today.

Did anyone have similar problems?

Cheers,
René

08-28-2013, 02:50 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update: works fine on my private laptop.
I am willing to bet that it's just my corporate IT's messed up laptop in the office.

Still, looking forward to finding the GR on Ricoh's dropdown menus on their homepage.
At some point, somebody will want to get some support for it
09-26-2013, 05:13 AM   #3

Same problem here. Firmware version is the same also. Initially it worked flawlessly, but today the problem just started occurring every time the camera is being connected to the computer. Changing USB port didn't help. Formatting a card didn't help either. What helped is a connecting a camera without a card, but ithis is not a fix obviously.
09-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting. I still have the problem on my company laptop only.
My workaround is to just take the card out of the camera and insert it into the PC's card slot.
What card do you use? I have a 32GB.

09-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #5

It's SanDisk Extreme Pro 8GB. Tried connecting to other computers. MacOS laptop - OK, Windows PC - fail, Linux - fail. Weird.
09-27-2013, 06:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My private laptop broke down last week, and I am now waiting for my replacement (should get it in CW41).
I will then check if my Ricoh can connect to this one - if not, I will have to reopen my ticket with Ricoh support.