Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-05-2013, 12:57 AM   #1

Ricoh GR circular rings artifacts in the pictures

Hi guys! I've found this problem on my GR, when shooting in low light conditions and try to pull up the exposure.

Here's some images, the first one is as taken, second one is the same image pulled up 4 stop in ACR.

Someone here having the same problem?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GR  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GR  Photo 

Last edited by seyfer; 09-05-2013 at 01:08 AM. Reason: Make understanding better the title
09-05-2013, 01:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think that lens should produce a high amount of vignetting that is corrected by in-camera software - it is often the case for micro 4/3rd or compact camera, they simplify the lens design, and correct the image by pushing the exposure to counter vignetting.
As you have pulled up the image 4 stops, the additional 1 or 2 stops added by in-camera vignetting correction is too much for the sensor to recover. Particularly if you have a jpeg image which is coded on 8 bits.
Cheers
09-05-2013, 02:24 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
I think that lens should produce a high amount of vignetting that is corrected by in-camera software - it is often the case for micro 4/3rd or compact camera, they simplify the lens design, and correct the image by pushing the exposure to counter vignetting.
As you have pulled up the image 4 stops, the additional 1 or 2 stops added by in-camera vignetting correction is too much for the sensor to recover. Particularly if you have a jpeg image which is coded on 8 bits.
Cheers
So you think it's just a software problem? In this case I'm ok, just hope it's not an hardware thing...

Anyway I founded some other discussions about it,

Ricoh Forum • View topic - Red Circles in underexposed pictures
09-05-2013, 02:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Us this from a RAW or JPEG?

09-05-2013, 03:42 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Us this from a RAW or JPEG?
RAW file.
09-05-2013, 07:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Do you have any sort of highlight or shadow correction on?

That is definitely the lens profile, supposed to be controlled in-camera. Obviously at 4 stops it exceeds the parameters as noted in a post above. Any sort of correction may exacerbate that.
09-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #7
Pentaxian

In a RAW? I somehow doubt Ricoh would go that far... especially in a GR. My explanation is, that the rings ARE the vignetting, but since they are darker than the rest of the image, they show up when doing extreme shadow pushing.