Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
GR TVa question

Just got my self a GR and I like it very much. Except for one problem i can't find how to put limit on iso in TVa mode. You can do it all other pentax cameras wich have TVa mode, but I don't see this option in GR, may be I'm blind.

09-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You mean TAv? It's on the mode dial. Or you can set the ISO to auto through the quick access menu.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-11-2013, 02:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry was way to sleepy when was asking. Yes TAv. But when I set it to stop on 3200 still goes higher. What I'm doing wrong?
09-11-2013, 02:22 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Sorry was way to sleepy when was asking. Yes TAv. But when I set it to stop on 3200 still goes higher. What I'm doing wrong?
There are two presets: auto and auto hi. The ISO range for both can be configured in the menu.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-11-2013, 02:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I set it and still get high iso
09-11-2013, 07:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Just got my self a GR and I like it very much. Except for one problem i can't find how to put limit on iso in TVa mode. You can do it all other pentax cameras wich have TVa mode, but I don't see this option in GR, may be I'm blind.
There are no limits in TAv mode (in GR). Only way to limit ISO is to set Dynamic Range Compensation to medium (ISO 200-12800) or to strong (ISO 400-8000).

Hope this helps .
09-11-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Understood (:

09-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This "problem" with TAv mode has been discussed on a number of forums. The user manual on pg 42 states "The ISO speed will be locked to [Auto] when in TAv mode.". As you noted, this is not how the camera actually operates. As things stand now there is no lock or limit except the max ISO of the camera. Some believe the camera operates correctly, and the manual is incorrect. Others, myself included, are convinced that the manual is correct and that TAv mode is essentially useless without a lock. Also, I would go so far as to say that [Auto} should be expanded at user's setting beyond 800 to either 1600 or maybe 3200. The 800 was appropriate in previous models due to small sensor size, but with the GR's sensor size there is no reason to limit auto to 800. I, and some others, are hoping that a firmware update will "correct" what we see as a problem. Hope that clears things up.
09-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Big Bob Quote
This "problem" with TAv mode has been discussed on a number of forums. The user manual on pg 42 states "The ISO speed will be locked to [Auto] when in TAv mode.". As you noted, this is not how the camera actually operates. As things stand now there is no lock or limit except the max ISO of the camera. Some believe the camera operates correctly, and the manual is incorrect. Others, myself included, are convinced that the manual is correct and that TAv mode is essentially useless without a lock. Also, I would go so far as to say that [Auto} should be expanded at user's setting beyond 800 to either 1600 or maybe 3200. The 800 was appropriate in previous models due to small sensor size, but with the GR's sensor size there is no reason to limit auto to 800. I, and some others, are hoping that a firmware update will "correct" what we see as a problem. Hope that clears things up.
Hmm, very interesting.
I want to lock at 3200. Maybe next firmware will change this. Any way this problem is not biggie I can work around it in M mode for example.
09-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Bob Quote
(…) Some believe the camera operates correctly, and the manual is incorrect. Others, myself included, are convinced that the manual is correct and that TAv mode is essentially useless without a lock. (…)
I read on another site that Ricoh has confirmed the manual is wrong. There is no limit to ISO in TaV mode, and it's the way they want it to work.