Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
09-18-2013, 06:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Interestingly, Ricoh had sent Eric Kim a GR....

He's a street photographer if you are not familiar with his work, he usually shoot Leica(film)

Here's a recent 'what's in my bag' video in which he did a review of the GR

09-18-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I think I've also seen that Terry Richardson is also now using a GR.
He's a long time Ricoh user though. Eric Kim is, I think, new to Ricoh.
09-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
Eric Kim is terrible and his work and qualifications as a photographer are questionable, at best.
Well then. Tell us what you really think.
09-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Eric Kim is terrible and his work and qualifications as a photographer are questionable, at best.
Judging by your photoblog that's a pot calling the kettle black.

I like Eric Kim but I don't really care for street photography. He just has a great enthusiasm, curiosity, and a hard work ethic. He also appears to have a lot of fun and likes teaching. And judging by his ability to make a decent living, a lot of people like learning from him.

A lot of his work is pretty good, but to me I find a lot of street...banal. That said, he has a lot of other photographers who support him as you can see from his use of their photos on his website:

10 Tips on How to Cure Yourself of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) ? Eric Kim Street Photography

09-18-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Judging by your photoblog that's a pot calling the kettle black.

I like Eric Kim but I don't really care for street photography. He just has a great enthusiasm, curiosity, and a hard work ethic. He also appears to have a lot of fun and likes teaching. And judging by his ability to make a decent living, a lot of people like learning from him.

A lot of his work is pretty good, but to me I find a lot of street...banal. That said, he has a lot of other photographers who support him as you can see from his use of their photos on his website:

10 Tips on How to Cure Yourself of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) ? Eric Kim Street Photography
How so? My photoblog is for my family. I'm constantly traveling and they wanted to see that I'm ok and where I go, so that's what I post. You do realize that much of my travel is paid for through requests to come in and shoot, right? The small portion of travel that I've displayed on my photoblog is easily worth at least 15,000 Euros.

My photoblog has actually done what I never imagined it would do- generate income.

Additionally, I actually do paid shooting for the music industry and just came back from NYC, where I was flown in to shoot and then it ended up expanding to some shoots at NY Fashion Week at Lincoln Center and then in several other spots where the models and photographers got together for practice and promotional runway shoots.

I also don't care for your attacking tone. It should be noted that I didn't attack you. I criticized Eric Kim.

Last edited by snake; 09-18-2013 at 09:51 AM.
09-18-2013, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #6

Both comments are out of line. If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all.
09-18-2013, 09:48 AM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Lukinosity Quote
Both comments are out of line. If you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say anything at all.
Eric Kim is not a member of this forum.

09-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How so? My photoblog is for my family. I'm constantly traveling and they wanted to see that I'm ok and where I go, so that's what I post. ...
so then, where are you posting your GOOD work?
09-18-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
Banned

That's irrelevant. Now you are bragging about your worth in Euros and denigrating other photographers while touting your own superiority.

It's insulting. If you don't like an attacking tone, keep your tongue in your mouth, your comments off the board, and you're pump me/dump the other guy attitude somewhere else. The article was about someone else...not you.

Just because someone is not on this forum (and he may be as he is a GR owner and promoter) doesn't mean you can insult them and not face the same. I tried to do it using a polite metaphor. Obviously the message didn't sink into your ego.
I'm "bragging" now?

You made mention of my blog in a denigrating manner when I made a comment about someone that has nothing to do with you.

And now you're fanning flames, creating insulting and rude posts, which has brought yet another person in to join.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
so then, where are you posting your GOOD work?

Since I'm doing work for families, such as weddings and certain other types of private documentations, I have no need, nor permission to post their private moments.
09-18-2013, 12:01 PM   #10
pdo

LoL. This thread is so entertaining.

09-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #11
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by pdo Quote
LoL. This thread is so entertaining.
That, it is.

If I'm getting paid to travel and document, how stupid would I be to decline and listen to people on the internet that don't like what I do because they think Eric Kim can't take it?

The only thing that matters is not what people say. It's if they put cash in my hands.
09-18-2013, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I personally don't get it... it's OK to trash Pentax or any Pentax employee, or any photographer that isn't on the forum, but we have to be nice to each other...
I guess just being generally nice and not spouting opinions that are little more than personal opinions is not an option. I guess for some it's just too hard to understand that the opinion that you don't like something is not relevant to many conversations. Critique is usually more than statements of like or dislike, which are completely obnoxious, IMHO. If you can't explain in critical terms your like or dislike, if it's totally an emotional thing, it's probably not worth expressing. More people will identify with cogent arguments than with uncontrolled emotion.
09-18-2013, 12:11 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That, it is.

If I'm getting paid to travel and document, how stupid would I be to decline and listen to people on the internet that don't like what I do because they think Eric Kim can't take it?

The only thing that matters is not what people say. It's if they put cash in my hands.
No. It is because everyone thinks you are bluffing, lying, and exaggerating. Which you did on another post implying you are part of a non-gear photo website where "real" photos are shown.

Why are you here?
09-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
Banned

No. It is because everyone thinks you are bluffing, lying, and exaggerating. Which you did on another post implying you are part of a non-gear photo website where "real" photos are shown.

Why are you here?
Once in a while to read technical items on Pentax, and not to mention, kill time like everyone else everywhere on the internet.

As far as "bluffing, lying, exaggerating" goes and the use of "everyone", that's a tall order. Speak for yourself and only yourself. Don't back up your statements using "everyone".

And "implying"? I said that I participate in a thread on a particular forum. Did not say it was a "photo website" at all, as it's not. So I think you are doing what you're accusing me of. And then there's yet another misquote in there.

How about we ask this- do you think Eric Kim needs you to defend him because he can't take criticism?

And again, the only thing that matters to me is when cash is put in my hand. Your tactic is not original and the giveaway is the moment you said "everyone" because children in elementary school do that because they think it strengthens their case. I get my travel and expenses paid for quite often and that's all that matters, not what someone says on the internet. I will continue to take advantage of the travel.
09-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
How about we ask this- do you think Eric Kim needs you to defend him because he can't take criticism?
The point is, if the criticism is ugly and not well expressed, well ugly is ugly... most don't like any ugly, except their own... and usually they don't even like their own once the mood wears off..
Closed Thread