Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #1
Pentaxian

My GR has just arrived!

Delivery by a friendly mailman. It is charging now and I am very excited. Its size surprised me - it looks absolutely tiny next to my K-5 but that's exactly why I wanted the GR to begin with: to have something to take with me on business travel without sacrificing APS-C quality.

As soon as I get to grips with this beast, I'll post some shots - weather this weekend is utter cr@p though, bummer

10-11-2013, 08:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hitting the streets with it now?
10-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Hitting the streets with it now?
In driving rain and fading light? No I'll try tomorrow.
10-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK, I lied: I did try immediately, in my own backyard in the 10 minutes the rain stopped - nothing spectacular. I like my raws with a bit more local contrast, makes the images pop a bit more. Gave it a try on a few of the first few shots with the GR in my backyard (please do not mind composition or photo interest on these) and I am absolutely flabbergasted - VERY happy! I suppose these might trump my K-5 and I used exactly the same bash-script on them as with my K-5.

File name: R0000026.JPG (Standard EXIF Tags)
Software : GR Firmware Ver 01.11
Model : GR
Manufacturer : PENTAX RICOH IMAGING
Date and Time : 2013:10:11 17:39:57
White Balance : Auto
Sharpness : Normal
ISO Speed Ratings : 800
FNumber : F2.8
Exposure Time : 1/40 s
Exposure Program : Aperture priority
Exposure Mode : Auto
Exposure Bias : 0 EV

File name: R0000025.JPG (Standard EXIF Tags)

File name: R0000024.JPG (Standard EXIF Tags)
Exposure Program : Aperture priority
Exposure Mode : Auto
Exposure Bias : 0 EV
--
Home - Mike Bing Photography
Flickriver: Photos from newmikey
Opensource: fresher, tastier and cheaper!

10-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

looking good
10-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I think i need to take a look again at this GR
10-11-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on the purchase

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-12-2013, 02:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

@newmikey -- tell me, are the controls sort of the same as your Pentax? Is it easy to use? maybe the right question would be -- does it feel good to use?

Also, please tell me -- does it fit into a man's workshirt pocket? That's my 'form factor' for small cameras, like the Olympus XZ-1 and particularly the Sony RX100. Important to me!

10-12-2013, 03:27 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
@newmikey -- tell me, are the controls sort of the same as your Pentax? Is it easy to use? maybe the right question would be -- does it feel good to use?
Let me try to answer those in sequence:
-I struggle to find similarities between the direct controls but can find some "family relationship" in the setup menus
-Yes, I find it easy to use but still learning all of the ins and outs
-It feels awesome to use!

QuoteQuote:
Also, please tell me -- does it fit into a man's workshirt pocket? That's my 'form factor' for small cameras, like the Olympus XZ-1 and particularly the Sony RX100. Important to me!
Big pockets: yes. A regular shirt probably, barely but I'd also be afraid of the pocket tearing etc.
10-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

@newmikey -- thanks! Looking forward to more pix -- and, for some, forget the bokeh blur... try it at f/8 or f/11... would love to see how it handles near-far sharpness if you set the snap focus to 15'.

Lastly, if you get a sunny day, is the screen bright enough to see that picture? Although, with a 28mm equiv lens, you'll get the picture anyway, even if you just point the GR in the right direction!

EDIT -- to simulate the GR's Snap Focus, ran around today with my K-30's 16-45mm lens set at 18mm, with the focus set at 15 feet, and aperture at f/8. Put it on manual focus, and used gaffer tape to 'lock' the lens rings from moving. Literally point and shoot. Certainly turns my high-tech camera into a neo-box-Brownie, and it works quite well. You just take pictures, and don't have to think about anything. In daylight, anyway!

Last edited by jon404; 10-12-2013 at 10:51 PM.
10-15-2013, 12:21 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Delivery by a friendly mailman. It is charging now and I am very excited. Its size surprised me - it looks absolutely tiny next to my K-5 but that's exactly why I wanted the GR to begin with: to have something to take with me on business travel without sacrificing APS-C quality.

As soon as I get to grips with this beast, I'll post some shots - weather this weekend is utter cr@p though, bummer
Congrats! Bummer about the weather. Why doesn't this camera have that legendary Pentax weather sealing? It seems like the only omission. My review unit arrives tomorrow, I hope. Can't wait to hit the streets with it. Other than the weather sealing omission, this seems like the perfect camera.
10-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
@newmikey -- thanks! Looking forward to more pix -- and, for some, forget the bokeh blur... try it at f/8 or f/11... would love to see how it handles near-far sharpness if you set the snap focus to 15'.

Lastly, if you get a sunny day, is the screen bright enough to see that picture? Although, with a 28mm equiv lens, you'll get the picture anyway, even if you just point the GR in the right direction!

EDIT -- to simulate the GR's Snap Focus, ran around today with my K-30's 16-45mm lens set at 18mm, with the focus set at 15 feet, and aperture at f/8. Put it on manual focus, and used gaffer tape to 'lock' the lens rings from moving. Literally point and shoot. Certainly turns my high-tech camera into a neo-box-Brownie, and it works quite well. You just take pictures, and don't have to think about anything. In daylight, anyway!
Great idea!