Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2013, 12:12 PM   #1

Is the Ricoh GR the "Perfect" Street Photography Camera & Travel Companion?

Hi Everyone:

I sadly said goodbye to my delightful Pentax Q7 recently ( https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-q/237567-q7-my-first-pentax-experience.html ). It was a review unit, but we definitely bonded!

Fortunately, I will be spending some quality time with a camera that I'm thinking may just be the camera of my dreams: the RICOH GR.

I've been a bit obsessed with tiny cameras lately, probably due in no small part to a recently found love of street photography. And certainly, the GR has the pedigree in that department. But it also seems like the perfect pocketable -- something that will allow me to get better, quicker family candids than my iPhone, offering more control and better IQ.

I'm hoping to post a video review and deep dive and will update this thread as I go.

Is there anything you'd like to know or see about the camera? If so, just hit reply here! I'll try to cover as much ground as possible.

10-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's not perfect, but it's pretty damn good, especially after the recent firmware update. Hope you enjoy it!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-15-2013, 12:32 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's not perfect, but it's pretty damn good, especially after the recent firmware update. Hope you enjoy it!
Thanks! Are you using any of the accessories? OVF? Wide attachment? Tempting, but they make the camera bigger. The OVF is calling me tho!
10-15-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by douglasgottlieb Quote
Thanks! Are you using any of the accessories? OVF? Wide attachment? Tempting, but they make the camera bigger. The OVF is calling me tho!
I was happy just using the LCD, to be honest

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Q7 is my preferred 'Street Cam' for the following :
1. DOF even at fast apertures like f4
2. Fast AF
3. Small and totally 'not serious'
4. No sound with electronic shutter
5. Quick access to fun modes (BW, Bleach bypass, Cross process, etc)
6. A wide normal fast lens (prime 01); I know some folks like wide 28mm, but the fast 40mm eq is not something any other pns has.
7. Lens options if one wants it.

just my few cents.
10-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
at fast apertures like f4
Quoted for posterity!
10-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #7

Original Poster
A bunch of interesting new cameras came out this week. I think the Panasonic GM1 may give the Q7 a run for its money, but the Q7 sets the bar very very high in terms of usability and handling. It really handles incredibly well. I consider handling to be at least as important, perhaps MORE, than sensor size. But definitely worth a look at this new M4/3. I'm not sure anything is going to trump the Ricoh GR, however. I've just started using it and am already blown away. The GR seems to have ergonomics, great UI and that huge APSC sensor. And it fits in a pocket. I'll be using it extensively next week!