Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
GR crop modes - how good are they?

Just wondering if anyone has experiences or images they can share regarding the 35mm or relatively recent fw update 47mm crop modes.

I'm especially curious about the 35mm crop mode, as that is more of a natural length for me. Jpg only, or can you create a smaller RAW image?

I'm enjoying the X-E1 and especially the EVF, but some of the feature set of the GR could be very useful to me (timelapse and such).

10-18-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clarkey Quote
Just wondering if anyone has experiences or images they can share regarding the 35mm or relatively recent fw update 47mm crop modes.

I'm especially curious about the 35mm crop mode, as that is more of a natural length for me. Jpg only, or can you create a smaller RAW image?

I'm enjoying the X-E1 and especially the EVF, but some of the feature set of the GR could be very useful to me (timelapse and such).
It's jpeg only. Exactly the same effect as just cropping the image in post

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-19-2013, 02:10 AM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

No it's not Adam .

It crops the RAW files as well, and produces respectively 10 mpixels files for the 35mm crop, and 6 mpix for the 46mm.

IMHO you take better pictures when the crop mode is activated this way and visible on the screen than if you crop in post.

I use the 35mm crop quite often as this mode uses the center part of the image circle of the lens, which is nothing short of amazing from F/2.8 on !
10-19-2013, 05:53 AM   #4
ogl
Pentaxian

Yes. Not only JPEG. RAW files too. It's cool and works fine.

10-19-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Yeah, I use the 35mm crop all the time. I haven't used 47mm much yet, but I plan to.
10-20-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks all, including the kind soul who sent me some samples. Much appreciated. Resolved detail looks good at mid-high iso.

As the sender noted to me, the file sizes of the sample RAW files don't seem to differ - I wonder if there is there a silent instruction somewhere to display only the crop (but the rest of the image is still present).
10-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Yes. Not only JPEG. RAW files too. It's cool and works fine.
You're right- I thought that the crop was imported into the RAW files and could be un-done, but it can't. It's been a while! (seems like I got it right in the review, though!)

What's weird is that the filesize remains the same, so either the DNG files aren't compressed, or the data is still there but just not read in.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-21-2013, 12:37 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You're right- I thought that the crop was imported into the RAW files and could be un-done, but it can't. It's been a while! (seems like I got it right in the review, though!)

What's weird is that the filesize remains the same, so either the DNG files aren't compressed, or the data is still there but just not read in.
It seems that the RAW files are basically identical. But the EXIF information differs:

Standard:
Default Crop Origin: 8 8
Default Crop Size: 4928 3264
Active Area: 0 0 3280 4944

35mm crop:
Default Crop Origin: 8 8
Default Crop Size: 3936 2608
Active Area: 328 496 2952 4448

You can undo the cropping by rewriting the EXIF data.

10-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Have you got any examples of the crop modes? I might get the GR instead of the DA21 Ltd again, as I own the GRD IV and I am impressed