Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-28-2013, 12:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
GR and dust.

It had happened, my GR gathered dust on it sensor. Two huge hair like chunks and several dots. Tried to blow it out with rocket and caned air, no luck. Going to pro cleaning today.
Please share your experience.

10-28-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With a lens that moves in and out, dust is almost inevitable. Were they able to clean it for a reasonable price?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-28-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Tried to blow it out with . . . canned air
Never a good idea - you don't know what's in that canned air:

Gas duster - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"the bitterant added to prevent abuse leaves a residue"
10-28-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

How do you even try to clean the sensor on the GR?

10-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They cleaned it for 80$
11-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #6

One of the best ways of keeping dust and other particles off the sensor of any compact camera with a lens that extends is not to put a compact in a clothing pocket. The debris that collects in our pockets adheres to the front and rear of the camera, and when the camera is turned on pocket lint can be sucked into the camera due to the vacuum created by the lens opening. I know a lot of us like compacts because they are "pocket-able", but keeping a compact in a pocket will eventually cause dust and who knows what to end up not only on the sensor but in between the lens tubes and even into the back of the camera via tiny gaps.
11-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #7

Hey guys, I had my first GR that came with dust in the sensor from the factory apparently Since i added a stick on filter in it and still had dust. So my local shop exchanged it, and the new one i added, again, a UV stick on filter in the front of the barrel, and that has helped a lot of the dust problem.

12-23-2013, 12:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Found a VERY long thread on Dpreview about GR dust. But there was no mention of it in their GR review, and I don't know whether this is a problem any different than dust on other point-n-shoots, or nothing out of the ordinary. At my end, had some dust spots on my Olympus XZ-1 a year ago... so I duct-taped a shop vac to the lens and blipped the switch... the dust went away. These days, I'm using an RX100 and haven't had any problems... but then -- and this is important -- I haven't looked for any, either -- like shooting an empty sky at f/11.

Problem for the GR is that it is presented as a pocketable pro's companion camera... so buyers want pro quality, whatever that means... I guess in this context, better lens dust seals. I wonder if the Leicas and the Sony RX-1r have dust problems... I'll bet they do also, now and then. You'd probably have to have a REALLY fixed lens to avoid dust -- a lens that just sits there and never moves in and out.

Anyway, what's your take on this? Real problem or not?
12-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #9

My GR has dust spot as well but dont want to deal with Ricoh and wait months to get it back.

Anybody have a link to that tutorial using plastic bag, duct tape, vacuum..?

12-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd love some resolution to this topic because I've been thinking about this camera as my walk around/travel kit. I don't mind having some kind of case for it, i.e., not a lint filled pocket, but if it is more prone to this problem than other cameras, then that would be good to know.
David
12-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Use a little lens pouch, or even a plastic bag to keep it in. This adds very little bulk or inconvenience.
12-25-2013, 12:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Use a little lens pouch, or even a plastic bag to keep it in. This adds very little bulk or inconvenience.
But ads time to take it out...
12-25-2013, 12:21 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Practise, and you can get it down to 2.3 seconds.
12-25-2013, 12:57 AM   #14
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
I'd love some resolution to this topic because I've been thinking about this camera as my walk around/travel kit. I don't mind having some kind of case for it, i.e., not a lint filled pocket, but if it is more prone to this problem than other cameras, then that would be good to know.
The GR is a dream come true camera. I cannot imagine not owning this camera. I haven't had dust problems so far... but I've only had my GR for less than two weeks. I am reluctant to carry mine in a pocket because of this issue; so I am debating the case thing too. A plastic bag isn't a bad idea, but a lint free case is more appealing.
12-25-2013, 12:59 AM   #15
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Which is nothing compared to $80.