Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2013, 12:22 AM   #1

GR autofocus noise?

Looking for some to help to determine what I'm hearing from the GR when autofocusing is normal. Occasionally when autofocusing, mostly in macro mode or regular AF mode closer to an object, the lens emits what is somewhat of a 'grinding' sound while it autofocuses. This doesn't happen all the time, I noticed it's usually when it's hunting for focus and will emit this short whirling grinding-like sound. This can repeat if the AF is hunting for focus.

I used to have a GR D IV and did not encounter that, so I'm wondering if this is normal? I assume the AF motor emits some sound but I'm not sure if what I'm hearing is it. I bought this camera used so trying to figure out if something is wrong with it.

10-30-2013, 12:28 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It you're able to capture the sound in a video, that would be perfect as then we'd able to give you a better answer.

For reference, here's what the AF should sound like:
Ricoh GR vs. Nikon Coolpix A Review - Autofocus - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by HibikiRush Quote
Looking for some to help to determine what I'm hearing from the GR when autofocusing is normal. Occasionally when autofocusing, mostly in macro mode or regular AF mode closer to an object, the lens emits what is somewhat of a 'grinding' sound while it autofocuses. This doesn't happen all the time, I noticed it's usually when it's hunting for focus and will emit this short whirling grinding-like sound. This can repeat if the AF is hunting for focus.

I used to have a GR D IV and did not encounter that, so I'm wondering if this is normal? I assume the AF motor emits some sound but I'm not sure if what I'm hearing is it. I bought this camera used so trying to figure out if something is wrong with it.
Just registered to comment on this particular question (though as a GR owner who is contemplating the K5iis to replace M4/3, I'm glad to find this resource).

I heard a noise for the first time with the camera on AF, and "grinding" is a fairly accurate way to describe it. A quick google lead to this thread but not much else. Normally if you listen real close there are two sounds, the motor and the gentle click of the aperture blades. This was a third noise, in my case when half pressing the shutter button to AF. It happened a bunch of times, at different fstops, and was quite noticable. After I turned the camera off and back on the noise had gone away.
I'll report back if I hear it again.