Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #1

Need some help with horses.

Does anyone have any advise on how I can shoot some horses? I know action shots are out, but what could I do framing wise to make them more interesting?

10-31-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We have a semi-pro horse shooter on the forum. Can't remember her name though... Try a search for horse pictures.
10-31-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you're shooting horses to sell prints to the owner, generally a full body pose works best with the horse's head slightly turned towards camera and the ears erect.

If you just want to shoot horses for the sake of making a nice picture, you might try increasing your distance and shooting with a longer lens.

Here's a 135mm lens on the K5.

10-31-2013, 01:06 PM   #4

Original Poster
These are purely for personal use and as of right now I only have the GR to shoot with. I appreciate the advice so far.

10-31-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/137-photographic-industry-professionals/1...rtraiture.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/38-photographic-technique/130681-advice-s...sson-show.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/239352-chea...lower-dof.html

Member Elisha is the shooter I was talking about. Read the last thread and I think you will agree she knows her horse shooting stuff.
10-31-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
LOL. Horses.

Here is one I shot a few weeks ago in California.

Then there was this time I shot a horse with an afternoon/early evening sky

What you can't see in the image - and I was not aware when I was taking it - was that the Horse was very happy to see me, or he was hung like one.
When I was processing the image above, I have a new-found-appreciation for RAW images and the dynamic range of the K5!

So, lessons learned when taking pics of horses.
Take a few seconds to make sure there are no bits and pieces that you don't want in the image.