Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2013, 03:47 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Blue halo when shooting light sources

Hello,

have since a few days a blue halo when shooting directly into light sources. It looks like this:

Don't know if this is a result of the new firmware. Had this problem never before. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
Jürgen

11-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Any filter on? Clear lens? Most likely just you shooting from new angles or so, if the glass is clear. Firmware won't create optical abberations.
11-16-2013, 10:09 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That is definitely an internal reflection flare artifact. It has nothing to do with the firmware, but the reflection may be from sensor to rear element and back. You might not notice this in better lit images, because the flare is not positioned over a black area.
11-16-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
That is definitely an internal reflection flare artifact. It has nothing to do with the firmware, but the reflection may be from sensor to rear element and back. You might not notice this in better lit images, because the flare is not positioned over a black area.
What he said...

This very much looks like a sensor/rear element reflection. This is common with lenses having a large and/or very flat rear element. May we ask what lens this happened with?

Steve

11-17-2013, 12:59 AM   #5

Original Poster
Its a Ricoh GR APSC. I checked the lens this morning again and tried to clean it even if i couldn't see nothing on the front element. Seems to be something inside, when looking from the top with direction of the lens towards light source i can see the blue reflection point inside the lens. Will check with my camera dealer tomorrow again, maybe i have to send it to Pentax. Will be a hard time, can't live without my GR

Thanks for your help
Jürgen
11-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #6

Original Poster
So, was by my camera dealer, definitely something inside the lens elements. Camera goes to Pentax now for repair. Time to fix the photos with the blue halo. Any idea about the best way in PS?

Jürgen
11-20-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
Forum Member

I think it is a common thing for lens to have halo when point to strong light. My gr will have it too.

Is it a camera defects?
11-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #8

Wow that is weird, i dont get thos blue blobs in my photos. And Ive shot the GR straight onto the sun. here are some examples. I know this are B/W but i can assure you i have seen those like the example of the OP

so probably is an specific problem rather than a generic one?

11-21-2013, 05:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

i see a similar looking blob in the first picture. Not blue (obviously) but about the same size and shape. up a little and to the right of the sun. Might possibly be the same thing, just in a slightly different spot due to angle and whatever else.
11-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, there is a flare blob there - up and a bit to the right.
11-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #11

I see what you guys mean, and no, that is not a blue orb or blob or else. is just flare from the UV stick on filter. Ill try to get the original color version of that photo for you guys to see. But again, the other two which they have the sun in the frame dont have those orbs...
11-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #12

Original Poster
so, good news, the GR is fine, and, bad news, all GR's have this problem We tested 2 GR's today in the shop, again blue halos, even if we were more far away from the light source. We did a short test with a Nikon V1, Fuji X2 and a Canon 6D, no problem at all, neither with my Hassi (shot the same photo like above last week on slides). I could accept it when near and directly shooting into the light source, but this happens also when shooting streets in the night and the light sources are more than 10m away, really strange.

Anyway, still love the GR, will try to find a way to fix this in Photoshop this weekend.

Jürgen