Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #1

Macro mode and foreground blur

Shooting with the GR in macro, I naturally get foreground blur when something in the frame is closer than 10cm. Is this considered a bad look?

Shooting in manual, iso 100, 2.8, jpeg.

Attached Images

Last edited by ghostdog; 12-03-2013 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Added information.
12-03-2013, 08:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The foreground bokeh is sometimes very distracting and people don't love it. Though, its very hard to avoid. What I started doing recently is cropping photos to 16:9. People have become very used to this aspect ratio and it removes a lot of negative space (empty sky, empty fields). Only problem is the rule of thirds doesn't quite work with 16:9. I'm mentioning all this because I think your photo would look good in 16:9, with only the bottom part cropped out.
12-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The foreground bokeh is sometimes very distracting and people don't love it. Though, its very hard to avoid. What I started doing recently is cropping photos to 16:9. People have become very used to this aspect ratio and it removes a lot of negative space (empty sky, empty fields). Only problem is the rule of thirds doesn't quite work with 16:9. I'm mentioning all this because I think your photo would look good in 16:9, with only the bottom part cropped out.
Thanks, Na, distracting is the right word. I will try cropping it, but that will drastically change the composition. I have noticed the same thing with other macro images with the GR because of the 10cm limit. A close up of a dried leaf with curled edges will show blur at the edges that are closer than 10cm, but beautiful detail of the flatter part of the leaf. I will also try moving back slightly and to get better overall focus and then crop for the composition I really wanted. I knew about the 10cm macro limit, and I take a lot of macro, but the GR is such a remarkable camera in so many ways I couldn't resist wanting to work with it.
12-03-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's not really blur, per se - but out of focus. The DOF at f2.8 if that's what you're shooting will be pretty thin.

I think the big problem with that image is the OOF branch is dead center pointing right at the viewer. Thus, it is the focus of attention, not the true subject of the image.

12-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
It's not really blur, per se - but out of focus. The DOF at f2.8 if that's what you're shooting will be pretty thin.

I think the big problem with that image is the OOF branch is dead center pointing right at the viewer. Thus, it is the focus of attention, not the true subject of the image.
Your point is well taken. I try to shoot at a low iso, so 2.8 is what I use almost exclusively, and I am beginning realize the limits of that set up for the type of photography I enjoy. My other camera has a much brighter lens and better macro (1cm), but a tiny sensor. I need to experiment with higher iso with the GR and let the big sensor do it's job. Thanks for your advice.
12-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Unfortunately macro often demands a tripod and light setup. Its a pretty demanding genre of photography
12-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #7

I dont mind out of focus on the foreground/background really. it just a matter of personal taste really. There's lots of good examples of great uses for foreground OOF. my 2 cents really.

12-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chrisnmn Quote
I dont mind out of focus on the foreground/background really. it just a matter of personal taste really. There's lots of good examples of great uses for foreground OOF. my 2 cents really.
I've noticed that some photographers not only don't mind foreground blur but consider it a dramtic asset in macro, or at least an acceptable feature of some macro shots. Maybe my image is not so bad after all.