Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2014, 07:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Where has this GR been hiding?

I really like the concept of a compact, APS-c camera... So much so I bought the k-01, actually 3 of them..

Then the Q series cameras caught my eye because they were so small but I could not bring myself to pay that much for such a small sensor....
I also have been seeing this "Ricoh GR" thing here and there... even saw it on sale during the holidays and did not pay it one bit of attention...

Today, somehow, I noticed "16.2 MP" and "APS-c" associated with it... I'm like huh? wait! no way! An even SMALLER APS-c camera?!

Just bought one from Amazon for $614....

01-09-2014, 11:05 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
You might be in for a pleasant surprise.

Review: The 2013 Ricoh GR (digital V)

Battle of the 28mm compacts: Ricoh GR vs Nikon Coolpix A
01-11-2014, 12:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes -- you WILL be in for a pleasant surprise! Mine just arrived from Amazon today, and it is just excellent. The menus are easy to understand -- was able to put in my key settings very quickly, like spot focus and spot exposure, and start taking pictures right away. Will go on more about the GR in another post after I learn more about it -- but for now, here's some pictures from today -- a bunch of people staring at computers in a coffeeshop, a 1948 Cadillac convertible with the world's first tailfins -- gas cap under the left taillight, you push the red reflrctor button to open it -- and a train 15 minutes after sunset on TAv, 1/500 at f/4, the GR picked ISO 6400 -- noise gets less after reducing the picture size, thank God. Seems to have the same light-gathering ability as my K-01. APS-C = APS-C. Much better than the Sony RX100.
Attached Images

02-14-2014, 05:08 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the fold. Enjoy your stay... it'll be a while.