Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-19-2014, 01:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A train at sunset

A train at sunset today, Del Mar, California. Light levels way too extreme to try to get by with a single GR image... took two instead, quickly composited together in Xara Photo & Graphic Designer. Xara P&GD is MUCH easier than Photoshop -- and is sort of to graphics programs what the GR is to cameras -- simple, excellent.

The GR is a delight to use. You can really appreciate the way Ricoh has refined the design, the ergonomics, over so many years going back to film. It's new for me -- came about a week ago. Can't say enough good things about it!

Attached Images

01-19-2014, 03:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Thing is, as a finished photo the composition is confusing, I don't know what the focus of the photo really is. Is it the beautiful sunset and evening swimmers, or the speeding Amtrak in what looks a little unnaturally lit foreground..
Technically the idea is sound and is one I use myself at times [as you know], but the photo composition I think fails because the loco is overpowering and spoils what should be a cool seascape and sunset pic.. Unless you're going for a tourist brochure thing, in which case it might work as a background for some holiday blurb overprint.
Just my 2c
01-19-2014, 04:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Good comment -- guess I'll sell it to Amtrak! The Surfliner train line is so pictorial -- along the bluffs near the sea north of San Diego -- and then up near Santa Barbara, the track goes on the edge of a cliff and you look down from the train right at the beach. Further north, there's still a whistle stop, on the beach at a place called Surf near Lompoc... just the beach there, nothing else at all. Wild.