Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2014, 01:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
GR low light autofocus -- in the toilet

Took time out today to be a Good Husband, fixing a toilet that was filling its tank way too slowly. Time for a new fill valve. Time to snap a photo of the old one to show the guy at the hardware store, so I'd come home with the correct new one. Time for the Ricoh GR!

Problem was, a counter over the toilet tank blocked most of the light from the room. Dark in there! So I put the GR on Macro, flipped up the flash, and lowered it into the water tank (after first draining the water). Then, on P Program, pressed the shutter button. And nothing happened. What? Suddenly, the flash fired and it took a very usable picture. Perfect! Realized later that it took a few seconds to figure out the focus -- because I had previously turned off the bright focus-assist light. But the GR, in near-darkness, was still able -- somehow -- to compute a correct exposure... f/2.8, 1/40, ISO 1600. Worked like a charm.

Now, I know that a toilet tank snapshot pales in significance compared to the truly beautiful GR photographs we see on this forum. But it needs saying that the GR is a very practical camera for helping solve workaday problems, as well. When you need to communicate clearly, it's a winner!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GR  Photo 
02-06-2014, 02:01 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Why did you need a picture to show the hardware store? The hole at the bottom of the tank has a universal size. Even if it was a different style you brought home, it would still work.

But the camera did a nice job!
02-06-2014, 02:12 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With those type of results I can't wait to put my GR in the toilet!
02-06-2014, 02:12 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Dan -- you know, I think I fix it maybe once every five years, and inbetween completely forget what I did the last time. It's a real luxury to go to Ace Hardware with the image on that little GR screen to show them what I'm dealing with -- much easier than trying to make a sketch. But good to know it's a universal size -- I'll remember that for next time!

02-06-2014, 02:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter

It's Amy. (I really should put that in my Sig...)

Yup. Whenever we have a toilet problem, I just buy the whole kit. The fill valve & the flapper part. I figure if one side has failed, the other isn't far behind!
02-06-2014, 02:35 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You really need a nice, sharp, in focus, well composed, correctly exposed image of inside your toilet. Definitely
02-06-2014, 02:45 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ausmoose -- maybe -- but with the Oscars coming up, probably should have used the GR's video to produce a stunning, emotionally-charged yet artistically blurred short subject, maybe called, "Toilet Fix"? Something sensitive, just this side of a chick flic, but with a touch of Blair Witch as, like that producer, I can't afford heavy 3D computer animation. Actually, Blair Witch isn't quite right. Maybe more like a musical, like Flashdance. Such a small camera, so many possibilities!

02-06-2014, 02:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
Ausmoose -- maybe -- but with the Oscars coming up, probably should have used the GR's video to produce a stunning, emotionally-charged yet artistically blurred short subject, maybe called, "Toilet Fix"? Something sensitive, just this side of a chick flic, but with a touch of Blair Witch as, like that producer, I can't afford heavy 3D computer animation. Actually, Blair Witch isn't quite right. Maybe more like a musical, like Flashdance. Such a small camera, so many possibilities!
Of course!! How could I be so dumb?