Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
GR manual focus question

Started using the GR's manual focus today. Seems like a lot of steps to go through -- am I missing something?

Setting --
press fn2 twice
go down to Magnification Setting, choose Magnify Whole (my preference)

Take picture --
-- swirch focus choice to MF
-- push fn2 button
-- push + button 3 times to see Magnify Whole screen (why? Thought I had already done this, above)
- -press Menu-OK
-- press Macro (Up, on rear dial)
-- use up-down dial (front wheel) to focus
-- press shutter button halfway to frame picture
-- take picture

press fn2 button, then Cancel to go back to non-magnified view.

What I want --
-- switch to MF
-- press fn2 button to see Magnify Whole screen (with the Magnify Whole view previously selected)
-- take picture

Possible?

02-09-2014, 08:44 PM   #2

How do you like the GR? .... i mean other than this. is the picture quality equal to the k-5?
02-09-2014, 09:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
@jfuqua11 -- I love the GR. It is PERFECT for snapshot-style photography. The image quality is superb. Don't know about the K-5, but I have a K-30 and a K-01, and the GR is equal to the K-01, which is just a smidge better than the K-30. But look, that's almost theoretical. All three cameras have excellent image quality for day-to-day use. Just excellent. And in real life, the quality of images I take is dependent on my own skill. If the image is a little fuzzy, it's me, 100% of the time, not the camera. Handshake or too slow shutter speed, take your pick, or both.

Which gets us back to why I like the GR so much. It's the way it handles, starting with the slightly gritty pebbled outer covering, that is PERFECT to hold. The shape is also perfect -- no need for an add-on grip like you want with the RX100. The controls are laid out better than those on my K-30 -- somehow they just make more sense to use easily. At least for the way I use it. I keep the AF/AE-L button set to Exposure Lock. See a picture, lock the exposure, compose, shoot. The autofocus works just fine in daylight and twilight -- and in the dark if you give it something by contrast to look at. The Snap Focus feature is REALLY GOOD... with that little 18mm lens, you can set it to infinity and always get a sharp picture unless the subject is close.

I like shirt-pocket cameras. The GR is by far the best one I've owned -- others were the RX100 and XZ-1, which themselves are very good cameras. But the GR's just excellent. Two pix from today, below.
Attached Images

02-15-2014, 04:43 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
Started using the GR's manual focus today. Seems like a lot of steps to go through -- am I missing something?

Setting --
press fn2 twice
go down to Magnification Setting, choose Magnify Whole (my preference)

Take picture --
-- swirch focus choice to MF
-- push fn2 button
-- push + button 3 times to see Magnify Whole screen (why? Thought I had already done this, above)
- -press Menu-OK
-- press Macro (Up, on rear dial)
-- take picture

press fn2 button, then Cancel to go back to non-magnified view.

What I want --
-- switch to MF
-- press fn2 button to see Magnify Whole screen (with the Magnify Whole view previously selected)
-- take picture

Possible?
I guess you cannot do much better than described in your "Take picture" procedure. The only suggestion I have is to hold the "+" button until you reach full magnification instead of pressing it three times. The "Magnify Whole" option does not mean full magnification. It means that the whole screen is used for the magnified view, not just the center portion of it.

02-15-2014, 05:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jfuqua11 Quote
How do you like the GR? .... i mean other than this. is the picture quality equal to the k-5?
The IQ of the GR is better than the K-5. I have both. I didn't want to admit for quite a while, but I've a/b'd enough now that there's no doubt.