Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2014, 04:22 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sold My GRDIII Yesterday... Mixed Feelings

So I sold my Ricoh GR Digtall III a day or two ago to a very happy purchaser, who like me back in 2009, was very unfamiliar with the Ricoh GR line and legacy. I just received a text message from him literally thanking me for selling it! hahaha - awesome to hear him this excited about a little cam that's meant so much to me. It literally traveled around the world with me from late 2009 through mid 2011, and half that time it was inoperative. I paid about 500 AUD in Sydney to have the lens assembly replaced .... It had been broken since the mechanism binded likely from a bit sand getting in on a beach in New Zealand about a year prior. Never regretted shelling out money to revive it and used it, arguably as much or even more often than my Pentaxes after that. I may well seek out another III or IV down the road when they're even cheaper.

I still have my new GR and it is a joy, particularly the IQ, which still astonishes me in comparison to the older GRDIII... Still, there was a scrappiness and organicness to the GRDIII's images that I miss.... This also applies to it's speed and handling. Slightly smaller, slightly lighter and (my only true gripe) the AF was much MUCH quicker in extreme lowlight situations, which I used it for aplenty. The GRDIII could lock on with just a smidge of available contrast in a completely dark room, and do it quickly. The GR is much better than when it was released after a firmware update in October, but it's AF is still much more methodical in very lowlight ( in bright day light it's probably actually faster than the older one). This is not a factor at all if the focus assist light is enabled, but for me and my shooting style, the assist light is *never* on. I feel it completely defeats one of the strongest draws to this camera, a nondescript tiny ninja of a thing.

At any rate, as close as they are, they're different cams and a part of me misses the little III. But it's out there doing what it does best in the hands of someone loving it. Just thought I'd post here.... Very odd for me, the first time ever after many many cams, to have this much sentimentality attached to a camera... I've had *many*, but none that left me like this. Hehehe. Very odd indeed.

Name:  IMG_3028.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  90.5 KB

02-16-2014, 12:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I know the feeling, I've had a couple lenses that I let go and regretted. Now I'm kind of looking for one of those, but only at a steal of a price.
02-16-2014, 07:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Now, just an hour ago, I sold my Pentax-M 50mm 1.4... Between it, the GRDIII that i mentioned, and my VERY well "loved" K-7 that I sold a week or 2 ago, all the gear that I took with me out of the country for that near-to-2-years is off and away from me. Is this what it feels like when your kids go off to college???
04-05-2014, 08:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I envy you lot your ability to sell your stuff. I can't seem to. I decide to do it, and then, I change my mind. Result... way too many cameras doing not much at all.

04-07-2014, 12:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
I envy you lot your ability to sell your stuff. I can't seem to. I decide to do it, and then, I change my mind. Result... way too many cameras doing not much at all.
Yeah I used to keep stuff around ... not really at all in the past several years. Try to keep my "stuff" to a minimum these days. Simpler... better, for me at least.
06-15-2014, 01:22 PM   #6

I swapped my GRIII for a GR a couple of months ago and sometimes have the same feeling. The IQ of the GR is great, but the GRIII was just so much fun to use as a photographic scrap book. I can still restrain myself from going out to find a GRIII on Ebay...
06-16-2014, 10:47 PM   #7

I bought a GRD3 back in 2009 and it's one of my favorite cameras of all time. It goes with me everywhere and has been aroynd the world with me several times over. Mine is a keeper and will stay with me until it craps out. It provides an image that is unique and one that the new GR can't imitate. In fact if it ever does crap out, I'll probably find a GRD4 to replace it.

06-17-2014, 03:15 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tyrphoto Quote
I bought a GRD3 back in 2009 and it's one of my favorite cameras of all time. It goes with me everywhere and has been aroynd the world with me several times over. Mine is a keeper and will stay with me until it craps out. It provides an image that is unique and one that the new GR can't imitate. In fact if it ever does crap out, I'll probably find a GRD4 to replace it.
That's what I'm leaning toward... Very strong chance I'll pick up a used GRDIV down the road.
For the meanwhile, I've contented myself by picking up a GR1s and going back to the source!
Heck of a lot of fun!

---------- Post added 06-17-14 at 03:22 PM ----------

(I absolutely agree that the GRDIII provided a completely unique image character. Difficult to pinpoint what it is, but I usually recognize any shot from that cam in my collection right away.)