Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2014, 01:44 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just picked up a new, leftover X-E1 myself for $499 and added the 27mm for $199 and the 18mm for $399. No zoom at this time. I think this little kit will be all I need while I determine if the Fuji experience is for me. Meanwhile, the Ricoh GR still holds interest for me. It's a toss-up between the GR and Sony RX100 for a true pocketable camera to take anywhere.

03-16-2014, 01:31 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
I just picked up a new, leftover X-E1 myself for $499 and added the 27mm for $199 and the 18mm for $399. No zoom at this time. I think this little kit will be all I need while I determine if the Fuji experience is for me. Meanwhile, the Ricoh GR still holds interest for me. It's a toss-up between the GR and Sony RX100 for a true pocketable camera to take anywhere.
I definitely considered the RX100, but in the end it was the handling for me: the Sony feels like a compact camera to me, while the GR feels/handles like a DSLR. If you haven't, I'd definitely make sure you spend a bit of time with each of them in your hands.
03-18-2014, 11:45 AM   #18
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I definitely considered the RX100, but in the end it was the handling for me: the Sony feels like a compact camera to me, while the GR feels/handles like a DSLR. If you haven't, I'd definitely make sure you spend a bit of time with each of them in your hands.
I will echo what Chicken says. I considered the Sony RX-100 and the Panasonic GM1 before buying the GR, but neither of those two cameras felt very good in the hand. Even if that were not an issue, given the difference in dollars and the size of the sensor, the GR is still by far the better camera if you are content with the lens FOV and the crop options.
03-18-2014, 01:27 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I own the original RX100 and the Ricoh GR. They are very different cameras.

RX100 feels like a really, really nice P&S that punches above its weight especially in low light conditions. It has a flash you can bounce off the ceiling in a pinch for nice diffuse light. Its very small and can easily fit in your pocket. It's slippery without an added grip, so buy one if you get an RX100. In typical Sony style, there are lots of auto modes, image stacking, HDR, sweep panaorama, etc. They work well. And color response is very vivid by default. Sensor is 20MP but the lens does not resolve that much detail. Keep the ISO at 400 or below ideally. The zoom is nice to have, but the maximum aperture drops very fast once you zoom in just a little bit. If you opt for the newer version II, you get the swivel screen and hotshoe.

Ricoh GR feels like a miniaturized K-5 with a REALLY sharp prime lens on it. Really, I was shocked how sharp this lens is, even at its widest aperture. You do lose Image Stabilization, so keep your shutter speeds somewhat faster to avoid blur. The ergonomics and control are unrivaled in a compact, IMO. If you are used to shooting an enthusiast level DSLR and expect lots of control and customization, the GR will absolutely live up to that. The GR is not as pocketable as the RX100, but it's amazingly small for a camera with an APS-C sensor inside. If you can't or won't compromise on image quality, look no further. For this level of sharpness, you'd have to invest in some expensive glass on a K-3. If you believe in DXOMark, the GR will out-resolve a K-5 IIs with any lens in their database.

The RX100 is a jack of all trades. The GR is more of a specialized tool that's honed to perfection. I'd say the GR's more natural competition would be the Fuji X100S, Nikon CoolPix A, or Sigma DP1 Merrill.

03-18-2014, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote

Ricoh GR feels like a miniaturized K-5 with a REALLY sharp prime lens on it. Really, I was shocked how sharp this lens is, even at its widest aperture. You do lose Image Stabilization, so keep your shutter speeds somewhat faster to avoid blur. The ergonomics and control are unrivaled in a compact, IMO. If you are used to shooting an enthusiast level DSLR and expect lots of control and customization, the GR will absolutely live up to that. The GR is not as pocketable as the RX100, but it's amazingly small for a camera with an APS-C sensor inside. If you can't or won't compromise on image quality, look no further. For this level of sharpness, you'd have to invest in some expensive glass on a K-3. If you believe in DXOMark, the GR will out-resolve a K-5 IIs with any lens in their database.
Regarding the GR's IQ, this is something you will see in actual practice, not just on a chart. I couldn't believe it, didn't *want* to believe in some ways, but the GR absolutely mopped the floor with my K5/31mmLTD combo, particularly in terms of sharpness and it was actually this very fact that had me upgrading to the K-3 much earlier than expected if at all. The K-3 combo certainly comes out ahead overall, but in sharpness, I'm still not so sure, and not at f/2.8 and *certainly* not wide open. The GR is far more than just a street shooter, it can render scenes in ways I'd never bothered to think to hope it could. Such as these... (granted, not out-of-camera images, but even still, I worked with the JPG output on these as I very rarely shoot RAW)

03-18-2014, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Woah, those are an excellent example of what the GR can do!
03-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have either of you worked much with the 35mm and 47mm crop modes on the GR? If so, what do you think of them? Resolution is cut to - what? - 10mp and 5mp?
03-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Have either of you worked much with the 35mm and 47mm crop modes on the GR? If so, what do you think of them? Resolution is cut to - what? - 10mp and 5mp?
That's correct - though they're actually closer to 11mp (35mm) and 6mp (47mm) respectively.

Much more info here: Ricoh Forum • View topic - The 35mm Ricoh GR

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
Woah, those are an excellent example of what the GR can do!
Thanks Dev

03-24-2014, 03:43 PM   #24

Since I had the X100 and X100s before the GR, I wouldn't advise you to switch. I personally prefer the 35mm equiv over the 28mm, but it's no biggy since you can easily crop the images on the GR if you really need/want to. The GR is just so much smaller, lighter and more pocketable! The controls are as good as on the X100/s if not better (one handed control is killer) and especially the menu with it's options for customization is very, very good. In terms of image quality you gain maybe one iso step with the X100s, but pushing the RAW from the GR was able to do the same.

I have to admit I just sold my GR for an Olympus PEN, but I desperately wait for something new from Ricoh, especially after I saw the 24mm 2.0 patent.
03-27-2014, 01:43 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well I finally ordered my GR yesterday, after actually handling one at B&H Photo a week or two ago. The handling, customization, image quality and crop modes sold me. I should have it early next week.
03-27-2014, 03:17 PM   #26

A no-brainer for the price I am actually going to buy it again, since I am not as happy with my new gear than I was with the GR :O
04-01-2014, 11:29 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by burt Quote
A no-brainer for the price I am actually going to buy it again, since I am not as happy with my new gear than I was with the GR :O
Wow. Definitely a no-brainer. $650 now and includes a case and class-10 SD card. Nice. Ricoh GR Digital Camera 175743 B&H Photo Video