Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
02-18-2014, 01:27 PM   #1

Thinking about replacing the GR with a X100s...

...am I crazy? As smitten with the unique qualities of the GR as I was initially, some things about it bother me. Low light focusing can take awhile, and lack of a EVF is be limiting. I also find the 28mm FOV a little wide for my tastes. Read tons of reviews of the Fujifilm x100s, many swear by it and the sensor.
Does anyone on here have experience with both these cameras? Is the $400 price difference over the GR (on the used market) worth it?

02-18-2014, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DonovanDwyer Quote
...am I crazy? As smitten with the unique qualities of the GR as I was initially, some things about it bother me. Low light focusing can take awhile, and lack of a EVF is be limiting. I also find the 28mm FOV a little wide for my tastes. Read tons of reviews of the Fujifilm x100s, many swear by it and the sensor.
Does anyone on here have experience with both these cameras? Is the $400 price difference over the GR (on the used market) worth it?
I don't think you'll get better image quality from the Fuji's sensor itself, but the longer lens and viewfinder might improve your overall shooting experience. 18mm isn't for everyone, after all.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-18-2014, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

As you mentioned that you saw tons of reviews. I am sure you saw this video:

Well in the end it is your decision, to buy a camera which is more expensive for absolutely no significant change in image quality.

I will leave this here though :P

02-18-2014, 06:40 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hahaha, duly noted

02-18-2014, 10:25 PM   #5

You could always use the GR's in camera cropping to 35mm. Sure your MP goes down but its still very usable. I would say IQ is unparalleled and the Ricoh GR has the ease of use going for it. The X100S is slightly larger and I've heard the menu's aren't as intuitive.

I posted some pictures of a Thailand trip where I used the GR. I don't think the X100S would have been a vast if any improvement at all

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/252057-misc-hua-hin-thailand.html
02-18-2014, 10:35 PM   #6

Original Poster
I saw this series... gorgeous colors. Do you do a lot of post work?
02-18-2014, 10:41 PM - 1 Like   #7

I saw this series... gorgeous colors. Do you do a lot of post work?
I do some. Depending on the content and colors in play I like to up the contrast. The majority of the 'flavor' comes from the built-in cross processing filter. It gives very subtle blueish tint to everything. Gives it a dreamy look.

02-20-2014, 10:02 AM - 1 Like   #8

I briefly owned an X100, and thought about the X100s, but the Ricoh GR has completely won me over for many reasons. For the way I like to capture images I want to have my camera with me at all times. Carrying a messenger bag makes this very practical, but only up to a point. The camera still needs to be light and low mass, and the Fuji was too heavy and bulky. I think the Fuji produces fantastic images, but it is bristling with all sorts of dials and flash and "hey look at me", and what I like about the Ricoh is just the opposite. It is a very subtle design, very low profile and understated. It is all about the image, not about "It's" image.

As far as a view finder goes, I have learned to shoot very comfortably without one. The screen on the GR is fantastic in daylight, and jamming my nose up against a camera in order to look through a peep hole lost it's appeal for me a long time ago. Looking at a screen allows me to be much more aware of the environment that surrounds the image I am composing, and that is an important advantage to me.

The Fuji is all go and a lot of flash. The Ricoh GR is all go and no flash. Cameras do not make an image what it is, that is our job, and the Ricoh stays out of the way and allows the image to be the star.
02-20-2014, 10:47 AM   #9
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ghostdog, I couldn't agree more with everything you said. But IMO the GR has the edge when it comes to IQ. The crop modes are another reason why I prefer the GR.
02-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
Ghostdog, I couldn't agree more with everything you said. But IMO the GR has the edge when it comes to IQ. The crop modes are another reason why I prefer the GR.
I didn't have the X100 and the GR at the same time, but I am happy to hear that you think the GR has the IQ edge. And yes, the crop modes are very nice.

I can't imagine a better camera for the way I use a camera.
02-21-2014, 06:45 AM   #11

Original Poster
Some excellent points. The GR is certainly the stealth-iest camera around, sometimes that is most important.
Another (quite different) camera I'm looking at is the Sony NEX-6. EVF and ease of use with legacy glass (plus tilt adapters with FA Limiteds!) is very tempting.
02-24-2014, 06:22 AM   #12

Original Poster
Update: I've actually decided to get a Fuji X-E1. Amazing deal right now, plus with Lens Turbo and tilt adapters there's lots of creative potential with Pentax lenses...
02-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Oh, I forgot they made a Lens Turbo for the Fuji mirrorless cameras. I have the Lens Turbo for the Sony NEX cameras. I've used it with some success on my NEX-3 with Pentax 50mm F/1.2 lens. But the Sony interface, especially on the older cameras, is very awkward. I might have to look into maybe a used X-E1...
03-09-2014, 04:43 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Update: I've actually decided to get a Fuji X-E1. Amazing deal right now, plus with Lens Turbo and tilt adapters there's lots of creative potential with Pentax lenses...
How'd it go? I've had this latest GR model since release and the GRDIII before that. Just about a month and a 1/2 ago I bought a used x100 for a good price just to try out the series, understanding the S version has improvements. In the end, though it was fun for a week, I sold it to a friend for what I paid for it. It just came nowhere *near* the GR handling and said improvements of the newer version I couldn't imagine getting much closer. The lowlight focus is still a tad slow on the GR even since the firmware upgrade which greatly improved it, but I'm getting much more proficient with its manual focus in many of those situations, so it's becoming less of a concern, and really it was my only one at all.

If I re-enter in the X series, it will be for the X-T1 or subsequent - they're roughly the same size as the x100s (which totally surprised me) and with an adapter I can play with my K-mount glass without a problem (manually of course)...

I understand the fascination with the other X models but I just do not think they can match the GR experience, at least for me personally.
03-09-2014, 06:27 PM   #15

Original Poster
Well I have the body and waiting for a few AF lenses (including the pancake 27/2.8 and 16-50) and Lens Turbo to arrive... only have been able to mess around with my SuperTak 55/1.8 w/adapter. Body is very light, same size as the x100/s. The handling is improved with the Thumbs Up grip but definitely not a one-handed affair like the GR. The EVF and screen are just OK (not as good as the E-M5) but zooming at 3x or 10x with focus peaking critical focusing is pretty easy. Shutter sound is rather clacky and nothing like a leaf shutter or the muffled thunk of the k-5IIs. I'll reserve judgement on image quality until I get some proper glass on there, but it seems to handle higher ISO much better than anything from Ricoh/Pentax.
The body I was able to find new for $425, and the 27mm new for $200... pretty damn good value. I'll report back next week with some images.