Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-18-2019, 07:56 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Well, the GT-1 arrived a couple days ago and I've been having a bit of fun with it but only for a short while. Weather has been rainy here the past two days but will get out it. First impressions are just as I thought - the corners have extreme softness at wider apertures, but nonetheless it's a fun combo and can be used to great effect. Focusing seems just fine though the minimum distance seems reduced before needing to flip it to macro. All in all at the onset it really like the combo. At 47mm, though the files are certainly smaller, it's an impressive bit of zoom for this thing. I should also note that the GT-1 is significantly smaller and lighter than the GW-3 and the handling of the cam with it feels really good, and not quite so front heavy as the wide-converter can feel at times.
I'll get some images up when I get some time.

I am interested in tying this. Will this mount directly to the GR or do I need an adapter?

10-20-2019, 10:30 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxian_tmb Quote
I am interested in tying this. Will this mount directly to the GR or do I need an adapter?
You need the GH-3 adapter and a step-down ring. (I can dig both out and look but can't recall the exact mm required - it's fairly common though)
10-21-2019, 06:50 AM   #18
Pentaxian

You need the GH-3 adapter and a step-down ring. (I can dig both out and look but can't recall the exact mm required - it's fairly common though)
Thanks. I ordered the GH-1 adapter and and GT-1 lens
10-22-2019, 12:14 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I ordered the GH-1 adapter and and GT-1 lens
GH-1 will not work on a GR or GRii - you need the GH-3 and a step-down ring. The thread mount in smaller on the GT-1 (and the GH-1). The step-down is what allows you to screw-mount it to the larger GH-3. (I'll go and look what the size is - I've not done so yet as I think it's a bit buried and I've been busy.)

EDIT UPDATE:
The size is 49mm-->37mm
Such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/Sensei-49mm-Lens-Filter-Step-Down/dp/B00AE1MPR6/ref=s...tronics&sr=1-5

Just be careful and do NOT screw it into the adapter too tightly (or the step-down too tightly onto the GT-1 lens) or you'll have a bear of a time getting it off.
Again, the GH-1 adapter is for the GR Digital and GR Digital 2 (the first two versions of the GR digital line from over a decade ago) and it was the meant to mount the GT-1, but you can't mount that adapter to the newer body styles. IIRC it will not even mount to the later GR Digital III or GR Digital IV either but I could be mistaken.

Last edited by Eyewanders; 10-22-2019 at 12:20 AM.
10-22-2019, 06:57 AM   #20
Pentaxian

GH-1 will not work on a GR or GRii - you need the GH-3 and a step-down ring. The thread mount in smaller on the GT-1 (and the GH-1). The step-down is what allows you to screw-mount it to the larger GH-3. (I'll go and look what the size is - I've not done so yet as I think it's a bit buried and I've been busy.)

EDIT UPDATE:
The size is 49mm-->37mm
Such as this one: amazon.com : Sensei 49-37mm Step-Down Ring : Camera Lens Filter Step Down Rings : Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Just be careful and do NOT screw it into the adapter too tightly (or the step-down too tightly onto the GT-1 lens) or you'll have a bear of a time getting it off.
Again, the GH-1 adapter is for the GR Digital and GR Digital 2 (the first two versions of the GR digital line from over a decade ago) and it was the meant to mount the GT-1, but you can't mount that adapter to the newer body styles. IIRC it will not even mount to the later GR Digital III or GR Digital IV either but I could be mistaken.
I have the original GR ....bought in 2015 when on uber clearance: Ricoh GR Pocket-Size Compact Digital Camera, 16.2MP

Edit: Well, shit. I didn't know there was a difference between the "Ricoh GR" Digital and "Ricoh GR".....can I still use the Gt-1 lens with the correct adapter....Or am I completed out $140 bucks?

Last edited by pentaxian_tmb; 10-22-2019 at 07:02 AM.
10-22-2019, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

...I didn't know there was a difference between the "Ricoh GR" Digital and "Ricoh GR"...
Product names feel designed to confuse customers. "GR DIGITAL" vs "GR". "K-01" vs "K-1". "*istD"???

Other camera brands have some bad names, too, such as "OM-D E-M1 Mark II".
10-22-2019, 03:08 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Product names feel designed to confuse customers. "GR DIGITAL" vs "GR". "K-01" vs "K-1". "*istD"???

Other camera brands have some bad names, too, such as "OM-D E-M1 Mark II".
Heheheh. I foresaw these days coming the moment Ricoh decided to "start over" as it were and just called the APS-C 2014 version the "GR". I understand the choice behind it, but it was bound to cause headaches, and it has.

---------- Post added 10-22-19 at 03:16 PM ----------

I have the original GR ....bought in 2015 when on uber clearance: Ricoh GR Pocket-Size Compact Digital Camera, 16.2MP

Edit: Well, shit. I didn't know there was a difference between the "Ricoh GR" Digital and "Ricoh GR".....can I still use the Gt-1 lens with the correct adapter....Or am I completed out $140 bucks?
I think maybe it wasn't completely clear that the entire point of this thread back when was that there was (and is) not a 50mm lens conversion available for the GR/GRii. The thread continued into these workarounds (suggested originally by devorama) using the older version's adapter. Yes, you can use the GT-1 if you pair it with the GH-3 and a step-down ring so that the GT-1 screw-threads fit the GH-3 adapter. As far as the GH-1 adapter you have, it's useless except on those earlier camera models. The GH-3 adapter is the only one that will fit the GR/GRii cameras.

Also keep in mind, the GT-1 was meant for smaller lens and a smaller sensor - the edge softness is very noticeable, all the way to extreme, depending on the aperture used. In the photo example I posted I was using the in-camera crop-feature (though still at a small aperture IIRC) so it's sort of a best-case scenario. This was all very experimental. It works, but there are "buts".

10-22-2019, 03:31 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The entire GR line.
By the by, the newest model GRIII uses yet another, newer iteration of adapter/conversion-lens due to the GR lens redesign. GA-1 (adapter) and GW-4 (wide conversion) as if it wasn't confusing enough already.
Attached Images

11-02-2019, 07:34 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is the one time I used the 50mm in-camera crop for the gr iii (it's also a double exposure). Lots of resolution loss, but for web use it's still plenty. I find it easier to frame than cropping in post. Short of an adapter, it would be nice to have an overlay with the crop lines, but be able to see the entire frame and the crop later.

11-05-2019, 08:01 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Parts finally came and I took some quick test photos in low light, high ISO, and wide open--not the best test, I know. Obviously very soft everywhere but center. Will post better pics when I have decent light and a cooperative subject.

Last edited by pentaxian_tmb; 11-05-2019 at 08:30 PM.
11-13-2019, 05:47 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Parts finally came and I took some quick test photos in low light, high ISO, and wide open--not the best test, I know. Obviously very soft everywhere but center. Will post better pics when I have decent light and a cooperative subject.
Yup. That looks about right. You can get much better results stopping the aperture down a good bit. I still have the GT-1 but don't have the adapter for my new GRiii and I sold the GR a while back so can't show any new examples aside from those from a few years back. But I'm not sure where those shots went. I've a habit of not hanging on to test shots for very long. They likely got binned.