Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #1

Idea for GR+

Alot of people have been looking at the Fuji teleconverter for the X100s and thinking this would be nice to have for the GR.

I'm not so sure. The current GR is the perfect pocket sized snapshot camera. 28mm FOV, fast one-handed shooting, LCD for framing while in the middle of the action, snap focus option, and more, with no compromise in image qualiity, and the best OOC jpegs ever.

When I shoot with a longer lens, i am outside of the action, I want an EVF, not an LCD screen. To make something as uniquely appealing as the GR, but with a longer focal length, Ricoh could keep thinking outside the box.

Why not design a fast but compact 35mm lens, and keep the size small by making it MF? Maybe a design something like the Zeiss C Sonnar 50/1.5 for a Leica M mount? Plus, leave out the LCD to keep it really small, and put in a great EVF and manual focussing aids like on the Fuji XT1? Why add a redundant screen when you can capture and review images in the EVF?

No compromises on image quality, and no one complaining about slow focussing in low light.

If they made it an M mount ILC, even better.

If the quality was equivalent to the GR, but it had a fixed 50mm equivalent lens, these two cameras would go with me everywhere!

03-26-2014, 05:23 AM   #2
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gerafotografija Quote
Alot of people have been looking at the Fuji teleconverter for the X100s and thinking this would be nice to have for the GR.

I'm not so sure. The current GR is the perfect pocket sized snapshot camera. 28mm FOV, fast one-handed shooting, LCD for framing while in the middle of the action, snap focus option, and more, with no compromise in image qualiity, and the best OOC jpegs ever.

When I shoot with a longer lens, i am outside of the action, I want an EVF, not an LCD screen. To make something as uniquely appealing as the GR, but with a longer focal length, Ricoh could keep thinking outside the box.

Why not design a fast but compact 35mm lens, and keep the size small by making it MF? Maybe a design something like the Zeiss C Sonnar 50/1.5 for a Leica M mount? Plus, leave out the LCD to keep it really small, and put in a great EVF and manual focussing aids like on the Fuji XT1? Why add a redundant screen when you can capture and review images in the EVF?

No compromises on image quality, and no one complaining about slow focussing in low light.

If they made it an M mount ILC, even better.

If the quality was equivalent to the GR, but it had a fixed 50mm equivalent lens, these two cameras would go with me everywhere!
They are cooking something. They have filed lots of patents for some APS-C tech, (and quite nothing for 135 format). I think whatever we conjure now will be superseded and a concept will be revealed that will both widen our eyes and make us scratch our heads. They are up and against a very mature and saturated market filled with numerous concepts. Their options as to be unique, now, are quite limited. Do not expect miracles.
03-26-2014, 09:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Well, no doubt an updated Ricoh GR is only days away - because I finally just ordered a current GR for myself. But, really, about the only thing I think might be a worthwhile improvement would be the addition of on-sensor, phase detection autofocus. But perhaps Ricoh could take a page out of Sigma's book in introducing other GRs featuring different fixed focal-length lenses. 40 or 50mm would be the obvious place to start.
03-31-2014, 08:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gerafotografija Quote
Yup. I'd buy it. For what it's worth I started a thread here about a 50mm(ish) conversion and Devorama suggested the GT-1. I ordered it used and have it attached with the extension tube with a 49-to-37mm step-down. Corners are extremely soft at wide apertures, but overall it's a hell of a lot of fun. Definitely quenched my thirst for the while.

04-01-2014, 07:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm thinking of pouncing on a GR in the near future as a good summer camera to have with me at all times. Smaller than the Q, better image quality. However... 28mm is not a FOV I like very much. I want a 50mm FOV. I'm hoping a new GR will be announced with such a lens.