Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2014, 02:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
GR with RX100 -- 'and', not 'versus'

At an opening day ballgame recently, realized that I should have taken my Sony RX100 instead of the GR. The ushers wouldn't let me move around from section to section, and I really missed the Sony's 3X zoom.

Here's the thing. These are both excellent small cameras and folks who try to push one over the other are dead wrong. The cameras are just different ... and each does something different very, very well.

The RX100 has the 3X zoom, thanks to its smaller 1" sensor. Added a Franiec grip, and it's much easier to hold. It does a fine job as a 'Swiss-Army' reporter's camera -- great for quick photos where you don't bother thinking too much about anything beyond locking exposure. Because the little dial on the back is too fiddly to bother with if you're in a hurry. Aside from that, the ergonomics are OK.

The GR has a better lens. Prime. Sharper. And the amazing Snap Focus -- combined with the fast startup speed -- almost as good as old mechanical film cameras for taking a photo right away! Mainly, the GR is really, really a pleasure to hold and to use. It feels 'right'. And you have TAv. And real dials. A photographer designed this camera.

So maybe it comes down to 'will I need the zoom lens?' when you think about which camera to use. There's a hot rod show coming to Del Mar soon... and for that, I'll use the Sony. But for landscapes? the GR. What's the old saying... 'horses for courses'...

04-03-2014, 04:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Which K mount lenses do you have Jon?
You have a K-30 and a K-5IIs. Either of these would be great for your Hot Rod show.

I know my K-7 with the 55-300mm has me 80% covered for motor sports and the 17-50mm Tamron takes care of the rest.
04-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well, maybe I'll also take the K-5 IIs with the 55-300mm lens. You can get up close to the cars, like right next to them... but the telephoto might help with some of the small details I like to photograph. It's outdoors, and I'll go in mid-day, so there will be plenty of light.