Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2014, 06:05 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
I am about to pull the trigger but sigma is stopping me.

Hi, in two month i will be taking a trip (greece, paris, england,spain and other near by countries) and i didnt want to take my k-30, so i was considering buying a ricoh gr and a light tripod, but after finding the merril series i cant make up my mind, i prefer the ricoh gr built, features, size, UI, but the IQ of the merrill seems to be better, to the date can you process the merril files in Lightroom? (i read that you can only use sigma software), or should i wait for the new quattro (altought not even the price is available), can anybody help me to make up my mind? is there anything i dont know?
thanks a lot.

04-18-2014, 06:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Sigma merrill takes great pictures, but can be an exercise in frustration. Short battery life, long(10 second ) waits between images, no zoom lens availability, poor low light performance. And you do need Sigma software to put out pretty large TIFFs to process your software. I love the IQ, and I love having it in my camera bag... that being said. I'd take your K-30 with an my 18-135 on it, and wouldn't even bat an eyelash, so, I guess I'm not the one to be giving advice. Next out the door after that is my Optio WR , waterproof shockproof. For me it's APS-c for image quality or Optio WR for portability. The Sigma fits in my DSLR camera bag... it's not really a pocket camera.

It is nice for walks if you have a hand free for it.... Sigma DP2 merrill..

Slide show....
04-18-2014, 06:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I just bought a DP Merrill instead of the GR. But thatīs because I canīt afford both! I think youīll enjoy the GR much more in your trip. Buy the wide angle adapter would be even better.. You canīt process the DP files in nothing but Sigmas SW or Iridient developer (just for MAC OS)

If you can swing it, you could buy the GR and a DP2M or DP3M to cover wide angle and tele..
04-24-2014, 08:29 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I'd agree with the comments above. The sigma produces some excellent images, but the GR will be FAR more versatile for you on a trip like that. And if you're worried about whether or not it can do landscape/cityscapes any justice.... well:

04-24-2014, 08:31 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Fujifilm x100s... it has wide angle and 50mm adapter lenses....for its native 35mm f2 lens.
04-24-2014, 06:55 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you're a 90% daylight shooter the Merrills are a great option. Otherwise, the GR will better suit your trip needs. If you really like the foveon "look" but want a GR, check this out:

http://www.seriouscompacts.com/showthread.php?t=19568

I have a DP2M and am thinking of acquiring a GR. They use the same battery and it would give me a wider angle plus low light ability. Also, the GR wide angle adapter will screw onto the DP2m and the close up lens for the sigma would fit the GR adapter (i think)

Last edited by ivoire; 04-24-2014 at 07:52 PM.
04-24-2014, 08:05 PM   #7

Still mad I purchased my GR new, because you can get lightly used ones on ebay for around $500. Worth every penny, take a look at this landscape I took with the GR:

04-26-2014, 08:36 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by shin888 Quote
Still mad I purchased my GR new, because you can get lightly used ones on ebay for around $500. Worth every penny, take a look at this landscape I took with the GR:
Hmmm... I'm not mad about that. I've been using the cam for coming up on a year now... that's worth it to me.

This was in the first few weeks of buying it I think, maybe a bit more.

06-02-2014, 01:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shin888 Quote

If you see one for $500 anywhere please post a link here...the cheapest I've seen a used one if for a little over $600....I'd be glad to return the new one I just purchased for $680.00 to save $180.00