Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2014, 07:11 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Marketplace Reseller

Day out with GR

I've read a few of the 'Should I get a GR?' hem and haw posts from others, and just wanted to share my experiences - I love it, but pictures are worth, well... you know. These are photos taken over a single day (April 18th), when I got a chance to take my daughter to Wave Hill, a public garden in Bronx, NY (which, by the way, every photographer in NYC should get up to... beautiful place). Since we all have various levels of post processing ability (and mine is very low ), I figure I'd just let the images speak for themselves. These are JPEGs straight out of the little black box (with 'effect's selected on some).

Quick'n'dirty GR review: Sensor is proven, but the lens is just amazing. Nothing close to 18/2.8 in the current Pentax lineup. Camera is ready to use right out of the box, but any investment in the interface is well rewarded. The ability to pull the camera out of a pocket a snap a photo in less than 5 seconds is really awesome. Only drawback is the AF - tends to miss even in bright light is the subject isn't big enough.

04-18-2014, 07:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, a nice selection of images. The GR looks like the real deal to me.
04-18-2014, 10:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What frimeware version was in gr? Because I use GR from September and AF is fast and snappy.
04-19-2014, 05:59 AM   #4
Marketplace Reseller

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
Wow, a nice selection of images. The GR looks like the real deal to me.
Thanks Steve!

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
What frimeware version was in gr? Because I use GR from September and AF is fast and snappy.
Haven't updated it yet... will do so this weekend and report if it makes a difference.

For the record, the AF is fast, it just misses more than I'd like it to right now.

04-19-2014, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by innivus Quote
Only drawback is the AF - tends to miss even in bright light is the subject isn't big enough.
Try using Pinpoint Focus setting... I rarely turn it off now. Makes your focus point significantly smaller and has stopped misses (usually back focus) for me greatly.
05-03-2014, 11:19 AM   #6

Brilliant selection of images that all demonstrate the outrageous ability of the GR. And I have to thank you for posting jpegs. Your images are real world captures, not some manipulated fantasy. Post processed images do not demonstrate a cameras soul. Cheers!