Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2014, 06:07 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
shooting the SMC 28mm/3.5 K, the Takumars, etc
I use this lens as a near normal - one of my best lenses. I tend to shoot at and above f/5.6 which gives me some latitude regarding hitting absolute focus perfection. I use the OVF stop down lever to meter.

04-29-2014, 06:20 AM   #17

I thought this thread was about the GR?

Anyways a new GR with an updated 24Mpix Sensor would be amazing! It would make the crop Modes much more useful! Other than that..I think the current GR is near perfect for me. The only thing that bugs me with the current GR is the low framerate of the display and the low light autofocus.
04-29-2014, 09:56 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Senduy Quote
I thought this thread was about the GR?

Anyways a new GR with an updated 24Mpix Sensor would be amazing! It would make the crop Modes much more useful! Other than that..I think the current GR is near perfect for me. The only thing that bugs me with the current GR is the low framerate of the display and the low light autofocus.
I agree. We are awaiting to see what news the GR update may bring.
Even if everything else is same,
  • a new K-3 24 MP sensor
  • a new Milbeaut image processor from K-3 / 645Z and a
  • FluCard support (if not a proper WiFi)

would make a whole new camera out of it, and an absolute leader in compacts arena. The 35mm crop would then be a 15MP crop, which is becoming tempting!

If Ricoh observes what Sony and Fuji are doing in compacts arena, I truly believe they have woken up from deep slumber and are ready to give users choice, rather than excuse to buy into Fuji or Sony.

Last edited by Uluru; 04-29-2014 at 10:02 PM.
04-30-2014, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #19
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As far as I can see, there is very little substance to this rumour. It seems to hinge on one telephone conversation with a US-based Ricoh rep. In any case it doesn't make sense. The GR series has typically had a 2-year lifecycle, and I can't see any convincing reason to update the camera. The 24mp sensor could be used but it would be very difficult to hold steady for sharp results without SR, so I don't think Ricoh would do it.

Ricoh's cameras are produced in their own factory in China. I've forgotten which city and I don't know how big it is. What may be true is that they are not currently producing GRs and producing something else instead in the factory. Perhaps they've even produced all the GRs they will ever need. I'm pretty sure we will see another Ricoh camera soon and it will be an addition to the GR, not a replacement. Could be a different focal length; could be a zoom lens; could even be version of the GR with a B/W sensor - to resurrect a rumour that predates even the Pentax acquisition.

04-30-2014, 09:37 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
As far as I can see, there is very little substance to this rumour.
+1. The other forum discussing this now includes someone taking the unconfirmed Ricoh GR discontinuation as a sign Ricoh is exiting the camera market. DOOM!

Last edited by DeadJohn; 04-30-2014 at 10:01 AM.
04-30-2014, 09:56 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Pentax is the only brand in the market that does not have a classic 28mm or 35mm equivalent lenses.
In APS-C those would be 19mm and 23mm. I have stated it many times, it is a terrible oversight. One 23mm f2 lens instead of DA21would draw MUCH more people to try Pentax DSLRs.
Look at Leica T: a brand new system, and it starts with a 23mm Summicron f2 lens + kit zoom.
I agree with you 100%, and I've also brought it up before...

As far as the GR - I think the GR will be substituted by 2 or 3 new cameras that will have different focal lengths... we'll see
04-30-2014, 10:08 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I want a faster lens with the new GR, a 35mm (FF equivalent) and F/1.8 or F/2 lens.
Then create a wide angle adapter to make it "24mm/21mm equivalent" and a telephoto adapter to make it "50mm equivalent".

and ... maybe asking too much, a EVF.
04-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I want a faster lens with the new GR, a 35mm (FF equivalent) and F/1.8 or F/2 lens.
Then create a wide angle adapter to make it "24mm/21mm equivalent" and a telephoto adapter to make it "50mm equivalent".

and ... maybe asking too much, a EVF.
Anything wider than f2.8 is not possible in a compact / retracting form such as GR.
EVF is also a waste of space.
Not meant to spoil your day, just reminding that our wishes are seldom rooted in realism.
Because the second line is partially true: we are indeed missing a telephoto adapter.

05-01-2014, 12:12 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I use this lens as a near normal - one of my best lenses. I tend to shoot at and above f/5.6 which gives me some latitude regarding hitting absolute focus perfection. I use the OVF stop down lever to meter.
Yes, that sounds quite similar to my own plan, monochrome. Thanks for your input. One of the principal attractions of Pentax for me when I was considering my MICL or DSLR purchase options was the IBIS ("SR") advantage. I figure that having committed to memory the aperture-by-aperture, border-to-border optical performance I can expect in the field from each of my primary lenses; and then exploiting the stabilization assist to allow a higher percentage of my photos to be made at the sweet spot apertures, will probably be the most cost effective strategy to achieve my best IQ results on a consistent basis. The subjects for which IQ considerations are paramount to me are, I think, very nicely suited to this approach.

To expand on that a bit, I have no argument with going for narrow DOF for a variety of reasons. But I feel that the current exaggerated emphasis on this sort of thing can only be fairly assessed as an internet driven phenomenon. I would suggest that decades of the best documentary and artistic photojournalism from the small camera film era provides an abundant body of evidence to support this point of view. There you can readily see how skillful framing, choice of perspective, and overall mastery of technique achieves effective subject isolation without leaning indiscriminately on the crutch of relatively inconvenient, fast lenses and optical chain physics.

Last edited by Kayaker-J; 05-01-2014 at 12:31 AM.
05-01-2014, 01:19 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
How many crop lenses Canon has? And how many full 135 format lenses they have? What is the ratio?
It's some 1 (crop) : 5 (FF). That means Canon fully pursues the FF.

How many crop lenses Pentax makes as of now? And how many FF lenses are in production?
Not even FA Ltds are in production anymore. That is some 8 (crop) : 1 (FF capable).

Dedication of the brand towards a certain format = Number of lenses in production for the format.
Cameras are just excuses.
Well, thanks for stating your viewpoint so explicitly, Uluru; particularly your interesting lens count theory. You are welcome to your opinion, of course; and for my part, I am happy to note that your response makes any further argument to support the points I've already made unnecessary and superfluous. I am relieved that I did not presume too much.

FYI, my "DA"12-24mm/4 (Samsung/Schneider-K version), DA 35mm/2.4, DA 40mm/2.8 XS, and DA 70mm Limited are all reported by users here to be full frame capable, used judiciously.

The bottom line: This dialog has passed the point of being productive, so it's over. I'll just leave you with a small think piece (a purely rhetorical question): I wonder how many point and shoot, phone cam, and obsolescent tech DSLR users will be asking for, or gifting themselves, new "excuses" come November when the peak holiday buying season commences?

Last edited by Kayaker-J; 05-01-2014 at 01:24 AM.
05-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #26

Adorama, B&H, and the Pentax Ricoh website do not list the GR as being discontinued.
05-03-2014, 09:50 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ghostdog Quote
Adorama, B&H, and the Pentax Ricoh website do not list the GR as being discontinued.
Well, with Ricoh it is always a "maybe". GXR was apparently discontinued last year, with lots of fire sales in Japan. Yet distributors are still advertising it as available, and still can be ordered. One shipment of GXRs will hit European shores in July, in two months from now.
It is a damn confusing company.

---------- Post added 05-04-2014 at 03:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote

The bottom line: This dialog has passed the point of being productive, so it's over. I'll just leave you with a small think piece (a purely rhetorical question): I wonder how many point and shoot, phone cam, and obsolescent tech DSLR users will be asking for, or gifting themselves, new "excuses" come November when the peak holiday buying season commences?
I don't know the precise answer. I remember times when I have argued here that the entire 2011 and 2012 was spent in red tape matters, reorganisation of Pentax and Ricoh imaging tidbits, and that no new development whatsoever has been done in those 18 months. Ricoh had no idea what to do with Pentax assets, and Pentax was not allowed to go ahead with new stuff, or better say, what they had at the time.
Only after Fotokina 2012 they have started forming some new ideas, when strolling among exhibition booths of other manufacturers, and discussing among themselves "what they may do."
Now in May 2014 it is only 17 months since work on projects has been started, and that is not enough time to accomplish too many things. K-3 was scheduled first and had to go in production before Xmas 2013, then 645z was scheduled next because of rumoured announcements of other MF manufacturers (FF project was postponed then because PhaseOne and Hassy were ahead of them and rumoured announcements for February 2014). As you can see, even the 645z is not finished yet, and the FF is far from 645z's state, by 6 months at least.
In other words, even if FF is by some miracle presented during this year's Fotokina, it will be under glass, (same as 645z was in Yokohama in February), and scheduled for delivery sometime in 2015.

FF is definitely complicating their life, and despite fact it may be a nice addition to the brand, it is also a big nuisance.

Last edited by Uluru; 05-03-2014 at 10:17 PM.
06-02-2014, 02:09 PM   #28
Site Supporter

24 mp GR? Meh.

Had the GR had a proper viewfinder I would probably have bought one already. I could even settle for an EVF. A good thing with an EVF, of course, is that it could free up the space wasted by the flat screen tv on the back. But I'd prefer an OVF, or maybe something like what Fuji has come up with their hybrid viewfinder.

Yes, I know. I'm getting old.
06-03-2014, 09:29 AM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
24 mp GR? Meh.

Had the GR had a proper viewfinder I would probably have bought one already. I could even settle for an EVF. A good thing with an EVF, of course, is that it could free up the space wasted by the flat screen tv on the back. But I'd prefer an OVF, or maybe something like what Fuji has come up with their hybrid viewfinder.

Yes, I know. I'm getting old.
You may be getting old but I'm not sure that's why you want a proper viewfinder. The GR's "White Magic" LCD display isn't bad but the truth is no existing rear LCD is fabulous in sunlight. Some are simply less bad than others. And that's the truth regardless of one's age. Many younger people haven't worked with proper viewfinders so they don't miss them. But that doesn't mean they can see more with LCDs than anybody else. I get along with my GR just fine. But a viewfinder would be nice.
06-03-2014, 12:11 PM   #30
JHD
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
You may be getting old but I'm not sure that's why you want a proper viewfinder. The GR's "White Magic" LCD display isn't bad but the truth is no existing rear LCD is fabulous in sunlight...
I have plenty of experience with OVFs and EVFs. The screen on the GR when turned up is pretty decent--even in direct sun. I can read all the menus and see all the settings without having take cover or shade the screen. I can see everything in the frame--complete with color and contrast--all of this without problem, and my eyes are far from perfect.