Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #31
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JHD Quote
I have plenty of experience with OVFs and EVFs. The screen on the GR when turned up is pretty decent--even in direct sun. I can read all the menus and see all the settings without having take cover or shade the screen. I can see everything in the frame--complete with color and contrast--all of this without problem, and my eyes are far from perfect.
My main issue isn't my eyes, but rather that I can't find any sensible way of holding the camera when using the LCD screen. I simply won't buy a "real" camera I can't hold to my face.

06-03-2014, 05:45 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
My main issue isn't my eyes, but rather that I can't find any sensible way of holding the camera when using the LCD screen. I simply won't buy a "real" camera I can't hold to my face.
I think the patent for a 2/24 lens was aimed exactly towards that. We shall see in following months whether our clues were correct or not.
06-03-2014, 06:10 PM   #33
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
The film GR cameras had a viewfinder but it was a horrible little thing, which wouldn't be good enough nowadays. I fear that adding a viewfinder would make the GR grow even larger than it is now. What's wrong with the viewfinder attachment you can get?
06-03-2014, 11:25 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
The film GR cameras had a viewfinder but it was a horrible little thing, which wouldn't be good enough nowadays. I fear that adding a viewfinder would make the GR grow even larger than it is now. What's wrong with the viewfinder attachment you can get?
I think many are not aware that some really good OVFs are available for the GR. The focus conformation is not visible, but considering it's a 28mm machine, everything 2m and farther from the camera should be in focus most of the time anyway.

06-03-2014, 11:32 PM   #35
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I think the patent for a 2/24 lens was aimed exactly towards that. We shall see in following months whether our clues were correct or not.
Now that would be cool!

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
True, no point in adding a bad one. But the problem with the attachment is just that - that it is a lumpy attachment. And rather expensive, too. I could get a Fuji X100s for what a GR with a viewfinder would cost.
06-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Pentax is the only brand in the market that does not have a classic 28mm or 35mm equivalent lenses.
Canon don't have them either. They have a 24mm which on their 1.6 crop is more than 35mm equiv. They don't have anything I'm aware of that nets out at 28mm.

In my opinion if you like those focal lengths, you go FF or with a dedicated camera like the GR, Leica X1/2, Fuji X100 or a mirror less system that has equivalents.

Probably the cheapest and most choice in those lenses is if you shoot full frame, but then your shelling out the most for the body.
06-23-2014, 03:07 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Well. Canon has FF cameras. So their 28mm is actually a 28mm. That means they have one
06-23-2014, 11:20 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Well. Canon has FF cameras. So their 28mm is actually a 28mm. That means they have one
Sure. I took the post to mean in the APS-C lineup. Want to shoot a crop canon body and a lens that gives you an equivalent 35mm in 135 format you're out of luck, at least with any lenses from Canon.

I think if you like those lengths you either go mirrorless or full frame.

06-24-2014, 10:47 AM   #39
Pentaxian

But I think that is the point. 28mm is a classic FL. Pentax doesn't currently offer it. Canon/Nikon have FF, so they offer it. Fujifilm has a 18mm f/2. M4/3 has a 14mm prime (Panasonic). Sony has a 19mm 2.8 and there is even a Sigma 19mm 2.8 for NEX. It's missing on the Sony A7 roadmap but of course you can adapt any ol'28mm to it

The closest Pentax has is the DA 21. My K20D has a crop factor of 1.53846 (365.04 mm2 area), so the DA 21 would be a 32.3mm lens on my camera. That's closer to the classic 35mm FL than the 28mm FL.

Last edited by ChristianRock; 06-24-2014 at 10:53 AM.
07-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Well, this thread got off topic after the first post, apparently. Has there been any further news of a replacement? All the sellers still list the GR as simply in-stock or available, not discontinued. Some pretty great deals available, too. B&H and Adorama are both including the OVF plus other extras now, and both are under $700.

To be honest, the GR really didn't get much of my attention until recently, for two reasons. 1. I never saw a size comparison that was meaningful to me. That is, comparing it to something I was already familiar with. I looked up the dimensions, though, and realized that it was only a tiny bit bigger than my wife's old Lumix point-n-shoot. I had no idea it was that tiny. 2. I don't usually care about anything with a fixed focal length, but after a recent trip to NYC I realized that I could have been perfectly happy if I had only taken my DA15 with my K3. Indeed, all but a handful of the shots I took were taken with that one lens. This made me realize that the GR may, in fact, be the world's most perfect travel camera.

There's really not much keeping me from wanting a GR now. Except the possibility of a replacement model with some features I might really like. K-3 sensor would be welcome. Current one is not too shabby, though. An in-body OVF would be awesome, though that's not a deal-breaker. Shake-reduction would be extremely welcome.

Seems like there's a lot of interest in a narrower focal-length. I don't share that opinion. I think the FL is pretty much perfect, as is, to me, and this is one thing that makes wonder if I should go ahead and buy the current model. My interest would definitely be somewhat tempered if they went to, say, a 50mm equivalent.

So, anyone know anything?
07-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DogLover Quote

So, anyone know anything?
No, nothing is known. For all we know, new model will come either tomorrow or never. It's all the same.
07-14-2014, 03:37 AM   #42
Veteran Member

The Nikon A is rumored to be replaced, so maybe the GR will follow ?

An update with the 24 Mp sensor could be nice.

Nikon Coolpix A camera approaching end of life | Nikon Rumors