Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
05-11-2014, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Happy Ricoh GR owner

I finally pulled the trigger on the Ricoh GR and am really enthusiastic about it! I am so happy about the decision I have to share my feelings. :-)

After fiddling around in the menus and trying some things with custom setups I took her out on the streets eventually. And what can I say, itīs a blast to operate it. Today it was partly raining and I held an umbrella in the left hand and my new Ricoh in the right and was able to fully operate it with one hand. Awesome!

I use snap focus at 2m with F7.1 1/250 almost exclusively and it was a revelation. I never felt as free and as stealthy when shooting with any other camera on the streets. I felt almost invisible. I can carry the Ricoh around in my pocket and can reach for it at every moment, power it on and take the shot in one move with one hand. It does not take more time than 2 seconds. This camera gives me the freedom to look out for special moments or scenes without worrying about anything technical. Some people said it would be an extension of your hand, and that metaphor is right.

This one is from yesterday:

Saturday Afternoon von Diggoar auf Flickr

I am really looking forward to my photographic life with the Ricoh GR. Itīs a whole world that this little thing has opened for me. Anyone interested in purchasing should stop contemplating and just go ahead and buy this camera. It is absolutely fantastic.

05-11-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The snap focus feature is one I really wish would be implemented on the Q. That and a small power on indicator light so I can shoot confidently with my OVF and the LCD screen off.
05-12-2014, 02:27 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
The snap focus feature is one I really wish would be implemented on the Q. That and a small power on indicator light so I can shoot confidently with my OVF and the LCD screen off.

I have a Pentax Q, too. Handlingwise the GR is everything I wished the Q would have been like when buying it. Still undecided if I will keep or sell the Q.
05-12-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would love a GR...wonder why they don't make a tele accessory lens a la the 21mm-e. Just getting up to 40 or 50mm-e would be great. Maybe it's a technical issue, or maybe it's just that the GR has always been wide. Who knows...

05-13-2014, 05:00 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would love a GR...
Filoxophy. I am in Pittsburgh as well. If you would like to look over the GR and shoot some test images with mine let me know. I am out shooting a lot, especially in town and I'd be glad to help a fellow Pentaxian.
05-14-2014, 09:42 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by denpapp Quote
Filoxophy. I am in Pittsburgh as well. If you would like to look over the GR and shoot some test images with mine let me know. I am out shooting a lot, especially in town and I'd be glad to help a fellow Pentaxian.
I very much appreciate your offer! I'm not really in the position to actually buy the GR at this point, so I wouldn't want to waste your time. But there are a few of us Pgh Pentaxians...is there a local photo/camera club that you know of to meet other photographers? This is getting OT fast, so you can PM me...
05-28-2014, 11:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I sold my K-7 the other day and applied the funds to the purchase of a GR yesterday from Amazon....having never visited this forum before.

I am a wide shooter by nature and quite honestly....I'm a little concerned that I won't be using my K-5 and all the wide lenses that I have once I get my hands on the GR......
The photos that I'm seeing from the GR are sick...

I should be getting the GR early next week...

05-28-2014, 12:57 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by peterjcb Quote
I sold my K-7 the other day and applied the funds to the purchase of a GR yesterday from Amazon....having never visited this forum before.

I am a wide shooter by nature and quite honestly....I'm a little concerned that I won't be using my K-5 and all the wide lenses that I have once I get my hands on the GR......
The photos that I'm seeing from the GR are sick...

I should be getting the GR early next week...
I sold my 21mm limited. for the streets the GR is everything I need. The only wide angle I habe left for my K-5 is the 10-17mm fisheye that I use for landscapes and crazy architectural shots.

After 3 weeks with the GR I am still very enthusiastic about it. Never gone shooting as much as now. Having a blast with it. Congratiolations to your purchase decision. you wont be disappointed.

Let me hear how your first steps with the new Cam went!
05-29-2014, 12:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I would love a GR...wonder why they don't make a tele accessory lens a la the 21mm-e. Just getting up to 40 or 50mm-e would be great. Maybe it's a technical issue, or maybe it's just that the GR has always been wide. Who knows...
You realize the GR has 35mm and 47mm crop modes, yes? They are reduced resolution - something close to 11mp for 35mm and close to 6mp for 47mm. But they are surprisingly useful.
05-31-2014, 11:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Amazon tracking says Monday, yipee!