Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
10-30-2014, 02:03 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
i did tear them too
i din’t brake anything hot-shoe works

10-30-2014, 08:37 PM   #17

I don't have a flash to test my hot shoe but I think it still works since the part that I broke is just to increase the stability of the back panel without any wires connected to it.
12-09-2014, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #18

I am almost sure that you would need to remove the hot shoe in order to disassemble the back panel properly. It is a bit tricky, but I assume it is same with previous GRDs which can be found here. (Should be tried before forcing out the back panel)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/72611934@N00/sets/72157617794831744/
12-09-2014, 02:15 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rondo Quote
I am almost sure that you would need to remove the hot shoe in order to disassemble the back panel properly. It is a bit tricky, but I assume it is same with previous GRDs which can be found here. (Should be tried before forcing out the back panel)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/72611934@N00/sets/72157617794831744/
i don’t know, i disassemble my GR quite regularly this way i suggested, everything is working fine.
i think you overthinking it.

12-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #20
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you for posting these pics and instructions!

Still hoping for a weather-sealed GR with a non-retracting lens (e.g., GXR 28mm module)....
12-09-2014, 03:28 PM   #21
Pentaxian

My GR is only 3 weeks old so no issues yet, but thank you for sharing this. Subscribing so I can find it if I ever do have a dust problem.
12-09-2014, 03:35 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krugorg Quote
Thank you for posting these pics and instructions!

Still hoping for a weather-sealed GR with a non-retracting lens (e.g., GXR 28mm module)....
you’r welcome

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
My GR is only 3 weeks old so no issues yet, but thank you for sharing this. Subscribing so I can find it if I ever do have a dust problem.
this problem seen in small amount of GR , plus i did dropped my on concrete witch maybe caused this problem

01-07-2015, 07:31 AM   #23

Hey!

I am new to the forum but have read quite a lot about what you have written previously.
I own a Ricoh GR since one year.
Now trying to clean the sensor but it was not good, to the menu cable is broken. (2896 80C VW-1 6 pin)
Do you know where can I find such to replace it?

Thanks for your tips!
Attached Images

01-07-2015, 03:03 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My friend who works in elections repair found me one
01-09-2015, 04:08 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
My friend who works in elections repair found me one
There would be a possibility of buying one of you?
01-09-2015, 06:50 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cristian Galvez Quote
There would be a possibility of buying one of you?
I don't think so.
Try your local radio shack equvelen, they probobly will have one
05-12-2015, 10:33 AM   #27

Wanted to thank you for this guide. Followed it and was able to clean the dust off my sensor and get everything back together no issue. Saved me a lot of money and wasted time sending this back in for service.
05-13-2015, 04:28 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Although I wouldn't recommend taking a GR apart to clean the sensor, if doing so I'd suggest taking basic ESD (Electro-static Discharge) precautions - i.e. a conductive mat, wrist strap and suitable earth connection (probably $30). Pretty much all current electronic devices include ESD sensitive components (especially CMOS components), any static discharge can render them inoperable.
07-20-2015, 05:17 AM   #29

Warning about tab breakage

A cautionary note about the "tape" on the back just below the hot shoe.
There are 2 threaded tabs that are not obvious on the original posters images as they are broken off at the juncture of the back bezel. However to properly remove the rear bezel you must take out 2 screws under the hot shoe cover or you will damage the rear bezel.

I decided to take a break in the project and try to add additional information to document the procedure to help others avoid some of the pitfalls I have experienced so far. That and I had a 3 year old clamoring for my attention.

To add some data to the why dust spots. My camera is 15 months old and was carried almost exclusively in the Ricoh Leather carry case. About 75% of the time in a cargo pocket, the rest on my belt. It was occasionally carried in a pocket without the case.
There was significant dust inside the case and the sensor dust seal does not look like it was properly installed. There was evidence of deformation on the lip and the corners were not attached to the sensor (though this is probably by manufacture design).

I love my GR, and though I have taken apart many many laptops, cell phones, iPods and other finicky electronics, it was with great trepidation that I broke the seal on my beloved camera, and the crack of the two tabs breaking wasn't a harbinger of a good day.

I for one would gladly welcome a environmentally sealed GR, though the big air pump that is the moving lens assembly makes that unlikely. Will I buy another GR? Yes with this one down I feel like I lost an appendage, however I will be more cautious with the next one.

Regards
Bob
Attached Images

08-21-2015, 11:48 PM - 1 Like   #30

I don't usually register to a forum but I had to just to thank i83N. I was pretty much bothered by those pictures from my Alaska trip. I was able to stamp out most of the marks but the one with high contrast B&W didn't come off well due to the grainy noise texture which I like very much. The stamp tool couldn't integrate the patch gradually to match the texture well.

Anyway, all clean now. For the issue of taking the back cover off (as indicated by bobobo25), I found an easy way - the screw at the top of the side where the hidden screw was taken off: that's the key. It had to be taken off even if it does not hold anything for the back panel because the upper panel wiggle much after taking that piece out. So the upper panel has to be gently pushed up to have the back panel can come off (and back on).