Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2014, 11:11 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
GR firmware V4.00 released

Ricoh has released a new firmware update for the GR. I don't have a GR but I'm curious to see what the AF setting is about.

Latest GR Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

06-03-2014, 01:38 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thank you (:
06-03-2014, 01:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Gotta respect Ricoh for their continuing firmware updates and enhancements.
06-03-2014, 03:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has anyone tried this yet? Reports from other forums say the new high speed AF mode is noticeably faster.

06-03-2014, 11:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Just loaded this. The new AF doesn't seem that different.
06-03-2014, 11:59 PM   #6

Just installed it. The AF is A LOT faster in my opinion. But you first have to turn the AF-Mode to High-Speed in the Set-Up Menu after you install the firmware. It works waaaaay better in Low light now and also faster in good light conditions
What I dont get is the "Shift-Crop" Effect. It just takes a picture in square format o.o I could do that before by just changing the aspect ratio
06-04-2014, 02:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Senduy Quote
Just installed it. The AF is A LOT faster in my opinion. But you first have to turn the AF-Mode to High-Speed in the Set-Up Menu after you install the firmware. It works waaaaay better in Low light now and also faster in good light conditions
What I dont get is the "Shift-Crop" Effect. It just takes a picture in square format o.o I could do that before by just changing the aspect ratio
You just said the magic words I've been waiting for someone to say every firmware release since July.... "better in low light".
Excuse me - I've some updating to do!
06-04-2014, 02:35 AM   #8
Site Supporter

hallelujah!!!

well, that settles it. i would say this thing is now just BARELY shy of my old GRDIII in terms of AF low-light speed, as well as JUST shy of it in accuracy/being able to lock on. But I'm talking extreme lowlight. Before this update it had improved a bit each release, but this is a milestone. The GR just became my best friend again (it also kept itself from ever being upgraded anytime in the near future or beyond). Hats off to Ricoh... about 10 months since release (roughly? can't remember when i bought the dang thing - I think it was July) and 4 firmware upgrades now.

As mentioned above - make sure you CHOOSE the fast AF setting (as opposed to "normal", the other, default, option) after applying this release.

Attached shot is straight out of camera except for resizing and default LR screen-sharpening on export. Was just taken at 2:20am in the morning in my living room, handheld at f/2.8 ISO3200 - no lights on in the house. Subject is a tiki glass sitting in the window sill lit only by street light across the street outside. Locked on in less than a second. (sigh of relief) My constant companion returns.

Name:  hooray_ricoh_lowlight_AF.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  352.5 KB

06-04-2014, 02:49 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
hallelujah!!!

well, that settles it. i would say this thing is now just BARELY shy of my old GRDIII in terms of AF low-light speed, as well as JUST shy of it in accuracy/being able to lock on. But I'm talking extreme lowlight. Before this update it had improved a bit each release, but this is a milestone. The GR just became my best friend again (it also kept itself from ever being upgraded anytime in the near future or beyond). Hats off to Ricoh... about 10 months since release (roughly? can't remember when i bought the dang thing - I think it was July) and 4 firmware upgrades now.

As mentioned above - make sure you CHOOSE the fast AF setting (as opposed to "normal", the other, default, option) after applying this release.

Attached shot is straight out of camera except for resizing and default LR screen-sharpening on export. Was just taken at 2:20am in the morning in my living room, handheld at f/2.8 ISO3200 - no lights on in the house. Subject is a tiki glass sitting in the window sill lit only by street light across the street outside. Locked on in less than a second. (sigh of relief) My constant companion returns.

Attachment 225272
yes! I was just as surprised as you and took my GR into the basement haha just to test it out. Hats off to Ricoh. Love that company
06-04-2014, 06:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks!
...just upgraded the firmware on my newly aquired GR as soon as I opened the box so I don't have anything to compare it to but I have to say the the image quality on this little gem seems to be on par with my K-5 in a tiny little package that fits in my pocket!
06-04-2014, 09:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Yes, I activated the setting. I was switching between the High Speed AF and the normal setting. I don't see much difference in speed. Maybe it's dependent on light levels and contrast. For medium brightness high-contrast targets, it didn't seem much different.

---------- Post added 06-04-14 at 11:11 AM ----------

I think the idea behind "Shift Crop" is that it crops from the edge of the frame and not the center. So if you were looking to do an architectural picture of a building and wanted parallel vertical lines, you could take the picture with the focal plane parallel to the building and crop off the bottom part of the frame that's a lot of ground. Basically a way to use the camera like a shift lens.
06-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
Yes, I activated the setting. I was switching between the High Speed AF and the normal setting. I don't see much difference in speed. Maybe it's dependent on light levels and contrast. For medium brightness high-contrast targets, it didn't seem much different.
Hmmm... strange. Maybe verify your version, that the upgrade actually took? Try in truly low-light. the previous upgrades my experience was like yours this time: Marginally better each time. But this new one to me is literally night and day - even when switching between the two settings now, the difference is immediate.
06-04-2014, 06:44 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Just tried it again. It's very noticeably faster in low light. I think when I checked it yesterday, the low light tests I did were not valid because I had the AF assist light on, and that gave enough illumination that it was hard to tell. The new AF setting is a keeper!
06-05-2014, 01:30 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
Just tried it again. It's very noticeably faster in low light. I think when I checked it yesterday, the low light tests I did were not valid because I had the AF assist light on, and that gave enough illumination that it was hard to tell. The new AF setting is a keeper!
Tis indeed. Not sure why I'd choose to ever switch it back.
06-08-2014, 05:16 PM   #15

I have never updated firmware before. My GR came with the second update. Will downloading V4.00 automatically download previous updates as well? Thanks.