Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-20-2014, 04:25 AM   #1

GR Focus Distance

OK, so I love my GR, and it takes the best outdoor scene pictures away from a DSLR. The new highspeed AF firmware update is great, and the simple pleasure of using the camera remains supreme.

But...

I cannot quite get the hang of the focus distance. Sometimes, when attempting a portrait for example, the image is just not focused. Even in P mode. Even bigger pictures, with real depth, sometimes have a really blurry set of images. But I'm not sure it's a consistent issue. I wonder whether I should be using the Macro mode more?

Have others had this experience? Is it just a learning issue? I would welcome others' experience and guidance on focus distance on the GR, what works and what doesn't. whether the type of focus used (spot, multi, etc) makes much difference.

I've tried all sorts, but can't quite get the answer.

06-25-2014, 08:47 AM   #2

There's basically 3 different ways that I use my Ricoh GR Digital III in terms of focusing:

1. Spot AF
2. Snap Focus
3. Manual Focus

I assigned and use the Fn2(Trash) button as a shortcut button to access the different focusing modes.

I use Spot AF mainly for static objects or where I have time to focus on my subject and works well for general photography, including posed portraits as well as slower type of street photography. Below are two examples of images taken with Spot AF.

Snap Focus is my primary way of focusing when I'm doing street photography and subjects are moving around. IMO, it's a much faster way of working and more discreet where I only need to focus on composition and not worry about focusing. Depending on how close I am getting to my subject, I typically set the distance to 1m or 2.5m. Below is an example where I used Snap Focus.

Lastly, sometimes I use manual focus mode as a third option but I use this option as a quick way of focusing on infinity which is where I leave it set. To me, it's almost, but not quite, a quick way of switching Snap Focus to infinity without having to switch the distance thru the menu. Below is an example where I used Manual Focus to take a quick shot.

Last edited by tyrphoto; 06-25-2014 at 10:25 AM.
06-25-2014, 08:58 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you sure it's mis-focused and not motion blur from camera shake? Also, make sure you are not accidentally using full press snap and pressing the shutter too fast. I've done that when I wasn't thinking. Maybe post an example.
06-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #4

Original Poster
thanks for the comments and advice. It's not camera shake, as this happens at all sorts of different speeds and situations. The different uses of the focus seem a good ideas (and your examples are great, thanks).

It doesn't happen all the time (only a small number), and I've deleted them all anyway. Just sometimes there is a focus point, but the other elements are simply horrible.

It is probably just me, but wondered if anyone else had experienced it as a 'quirk'. It seems not! Thanks again.

06-25-2014, 09:46 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tyrphoto Quote
Lastly, sometimes I use manual focus mode as a third option but I use this option as a quick way of focusing on infinity which is where I leave it set. To me, it's almost, but not quite, a quick way of switching Snap Focus to infinity without having to switch the distance thru the menu. Below is an example where I used Manual Focus to take a quick shot.
In case you don't know, there's a much quicker way of going to infinity...

In any mode, press AND HOLD the Macro button and turn the front dial - this will scroll through the snap focus distances, including infinity. You don't have to go onto the menus.
06-26-2014, 06:05 AM   #6

I believe this is a new feature that isn't available for the GRD3. I just tried it to double check and it was a no go.
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
In case you don't know, there's a much quicker way of going to infinity...

In any mode, press AND HOLD the Macro button and turn the front dial - this will scroll through the snap focus distances, including infinity. You don't have to go onto the menus.
06-26-2014, 09:21 AM   #7

Ahhh... Figured it out. On the GRD3, it's the UP arrow plus the front dial to change the Snap Focus distance. After 5 years of owning and using the camera, this is a new one for me. Thanks for the heads up!

Now that I can change distances on the fly, I'm using the Fn1 dial as a quick change button for Color/B&W and Fn2 for SpotAF/Snap. This works out perfectly.
06-26-2014, 07:16 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Ah k, I missed that you were using the MkIII. On the GR (V) 'up' and Macro are the same thing