Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-04-2014, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Got it - Love it!

Well after quite a while and a lot of procrastination, reading and a good offer from a well know retailer for some items I did not use I purchased a new GR last weekend.

It has been a long time since I last shot with Ricoh's (2007) and those feelings of happiness when handling a small capable camera designed by photographers for photographers all came flooding back.

This joy has been further enhanced by the quality of images the GR produces and these are some of my first images with the camera.

07-04-2014, 01:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Great captures!!!
07-04-2014, 02:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

This is my personal opinion, ok
I've seen some great photos from the GR so I know the camera can produce good images, these on the other hand look like edited smartphone snaps.
I take it the last one is HDR? I will assume the originals out of the GR were fine but you've post processed them to look this way?
A little too contrasty for my tastes and my eye is first drawn to the rough black borders. My personal feeling is that your photos are further spoiled by adding them.
07-04-2014, 03:00 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Steve,

The good thing about photography is that we do not have to conform to set standards and it is very subjective in as much as 10 can people can view the same image and we could have 10 differing opinions.

The last one is not HDR and I do wonder why you think these are like smartphone snaps (perhaps it is the border that you dislike that makes you think this?).

I shoot in Raw and the raw images look fine to me and those who have seen them, obviously small jpegs lose a fair amount through compression etc.

I was also taught that when you show a finished image to others a border always represents the finished article so I am sorry you feel these detract from your view of images from the GR but they do work for me.

Again, thank you for your opinion - we are all entitled to have one.

07-04-2014, 06:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Congrats on your purchase! I've had mine for a month now and I love it.
With no AA filter the IQ is superb! It's right up there with my DA15 which is the closest prime that I have to compare it to. The real advantage of the camera obviouslly is it's size.
It goes with me where I normally I couldn't be bothered to take my K-5.
People also tend to think it's more of a toy camera of even a phone which is fine by me.

BTW, I also shoot RAW also and have never even taken a .jpeg shot with it. I really need to try out the .jpegs...
07-05-2014, 12:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots and also nice to feel your joy.

Stick to expressing yourself in your way!
07-05-2014, 02:41 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Peter & Noel,

I agree that is it an amazing camera for its size, I dug out my original GRD to compare size/build wise and even though the GR is larger, it is not too large and the improvements in IQ more than overcome the size increase.

I always stand by the belief that photography is very much in the eye of the beholder and each person is an individual who must create as they see fit rather than conform to the belief of others (the exception is pro work where you shoot to a brief).

I do find that the GR being so small, easy to carry and inconspicuous allows you to take images in areas/of people where larger cameras would draw attention and could offend.

Great camera - great fun!