Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Add a green button functionality.

09-14-2014, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DAKS Quote
Add a green button functionality.
It does have green button functionality - in manual mode, hit the EV comp lever. You can customise what it does in Key Custom Options>One Press M Mode.

In P mode, you can use the dials to override and change the aperture. Hit the EV comp lever to return it back to program setting.
09-14-2014, 02:41 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Got it
Thanks!
09-14-2014, 06:26 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
It does have green button functionality - in manual mode, hit the EV comp lever. You can customise what it does in Key Custom Options>One Press M Mode.

In P mode, you can use the dials to override and change the aperture. Hit the EV comp lever to return it back to program setting.
Thanks for that

09-25-2014, 04:47 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the film GR1s, by all accounts it's similar in size to the GR yet still has an optical finder and most of the space is taken up by the 'FF' film cassette & take-up spool. I haven't used a GR, but (given the price) I'd at least expect to get a battery charger in the box instead of having to buy one separately.
09-25-2014, 06:06 PM   #21

Photos: Albums
50mm equivalent version (plus viewfinder, attachment or integrated).
10-04-2014, 08:53 AM   #22

Sony a6000 sensor + stabilization please.

What I would like in the next GR, in rough order of priority:

(1) 24 MP sensor with on-chip phase detect (i.e., basically, the one in the Sony a6000). This would take care of two needs/wants by users: better AF performance and longer effective focal lengths. What I mean by the latter is that a higher rez sensor would just make the crop modes a lot more useful for more users. I already use the 47mm crop mode at its 5.5 MP or whatever, and that is sufficient rez to print a 12-by-8-inch print at 240 dpi (someone please do check my math), but I understand that many who are asking for a 50mm GR would want more resolution than that. One way to do that would be to put, say, Sony's 20 MP 1" sensor in the current GR body -- voila, 50mm equivalent GR! (Albeit still with the optical characteristics of an 18mm lens.) But Ricoh could get pretty close to that (well, about half) with a crop mode on a 24 MP APS-C sensor. The nice thing about upgrading the sensor is that it would require relatively little else to change, other than probably a faster CPU to deal with the additional data. The camera could stay physically the same, including the lens. But now, having said that....

(2) F2.0 or faster lens. And:

(3) Image stabilization. I recently traded in my beloved GRD4 for a GR, and I do miss the faster lens and anti-shake stabilization of the GRD4. The loss of those, combined with the larger sensor/longer lens of the GR, makes getting sharp shots in low light with substantial DOF much tougher with the GR. It's doable of course, but just not as effortless as it was with the GRD.

(4) Weather sealing. But only if it can be done without increasing camera bulk. (Probably not possible, is my guess. But who knows.)

(5) Ability to set high ISO limit in TAv. (Maybe we have this, and I'm missing it somehow?)

(6) Not in the GR itself, but I'd like a small cross-hairs mark in the center of the OVF's. I use a VF-1, and I often use a focus-and-recompose method of shooting with spot focus in the center of the frame; it would be very useful to have cross-hairs in the center of the OVF so that I could more easily see (roughly) what the camera is focusing upon.

(7) Finally, this is obviously trivial, but I personally prefer PASM to PAvTvM. I've never been a fan of the Av-Tv nomenclature. Just seems aesthetically awkward and unnecessarily technical. (Not sure what to do with TAv though. Maybe we can just arbitrarily call it "L" and list it after "P" -- "PLASM").

-Shin

10-04-2014, 03:02 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shinsan Quote
(5) Ability to set high ISO limit in TAv. (Maybe we have this, and I'm missing it somehow?)
the is no, yes i wish this two...
11-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #24

I'm not sure if there are processor constraints in the current model, but an electronic shutter feature in a firmware update would be incredible. One of the key features of the GR's lens is how sharp it is wide-open and having even 1/20,000th/sec shutter speed would let you use it even when it's super bright outside and provide extra latitude beyond what you get with the ND filter.

I'm keen on this feature after shooting with the Fujifilm X100T. It's a super nice addition to that similar camera and if Ricoh can pull it off in the GR, then it'll make it even more competitive.
11-24-2014, 07:56 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

my dream version of the GR would be internally a clone of the Pentax K-3 in the GR form factor:. In other words, a pocketable version of the K-3! :P
  • 24Mp w/SR
  • 28mm f/2.8 prime
  • Pentax battery (for compatibility)
  • Pentax-compatible flash accessory

I know its never going to happen but I can dream can't I?

M