Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2014, 07:17 AM   #1
Unregistered User

Ricoh GR continuous burst not working

Hi

I've bought a new Ricoh GR. Continuos burst mode is NOT firing off at 4fps like it should in jpeg mode, only in RAW. It only fires off at about 1fps when shooting JPEG!!!!

Anyone that can help with this? Going crazy!!

thx

Rob

(firmware v4)

07-24-2014, 10:59 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I cant help much but ive seen this type of behaviour before.

Sometimes when its set to JPG because what you can set the camera to do in JPG is so different to the settings in RAW, a setting becomes active in JPG that slows the camera up, and that affects the burst rate.

Check all the settings and modes in JPG to see if the camera is trying to do something weird.

Set the camera for the simplest JPG settings and see if that affects the burst.
07-24-2014, 01:35 PM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, aye as others have said, sounds like you need to check out your jpeg capture settings, because the camera is doing stuff to each image, hence slowing it down.

In raw it's just a straight capture, with no in camera settings applied.
07-24-2014, 11:58 PM   #4
Unregistered User

Hi.

thanks for the replies.

It appears that iso 1600 stops the 4fps dead in its tracks in manual mode. (perhaps also in other modes? I have not tried yet as my battery died.) it drops to about 2fps and gets much slower but a few seconds afterwards. I was using a genuine sandisk extreeme card and all other JPEG processing was off. It was simply iso 1600. Of the 3 I have seen it has done it on all of them, so It was not merely my camera.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly sure that this is not the norm amongst cameras, would I be right? It was certainly a disappointment finding this out AFTER parting with my $. Certainly one less tool in the camera's "swiss army" kit. Still a good tool though at least.

07-25-2014, 04:12 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lightsource Quote
It appears that iso 1600 stops the 4fps dead in its tracks in manual mode
Is this still the case when shooting in raw too?, if not it's still something to do with the jpeg side of things.
07-25-2014, 05:10 AM   #6
Unregistered User

hi

it was ok in raw as far as I remember. It seems to be a jpeg thing. I would try explore further, however the camera i bought yesterday also did not process some raw images properly, I mean, complete coloured static. So it got replaced today with a new one. Now, the new one WILL NOT CHARGE!!! not winning. It seems to charge for about 20 mins then cuts out and I have to unplug it and try over. Been doing it for 8 hours now and I still to not have a charged battery. These problems always seem to have a habit of coming my way with pretty much every single electrical product I have ever owned. Back to the store on monday yet again.
07-25-2014, 07:34 AM   #7
Unregistered User

... its now been 10.5 hours of constantly re-plugging in the charger when the light goes of on this GR. Still the battery remains not charged. crazy. the light goes of every 20-30 mins. I can not spend every day revolving my day plugging this in all the time to try and get a fully charged battery. This plus mirror flopping on my k-3. A k-5 with a busted shutter and ALL of my pentax lenses having broken at some stage and having to be repaired. Over it....

07-25-2014, 08:22 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I might sound stupid here but are you sure it isn't already charged.

Topping off a fully charged battery it will behave this way, the charge light comes on as it tries to push a tiny bit more in but goes out after a few minutes, unplugging it can make it try again to top some more in for a few minutes before it again gives up..

Have you tried it in the camera just in case.

With having taken a faulty camera back to get a replacement one means you took a fully charged battey back with it, could you have ended up with that same brand new and fully charged battery somehow.
07-25-2014, 10:28 PM   #9
Unregistered User

Hi,

Appreciate your input and your vantage point on this battery issue. Unfortunately, the battery was flat to start with and was remaining flat. It appears to charge for 20-30 mins then cuts out. I finally got it to a full bar today after reinserting the usb (with wall charger) to the camera MULTIPLE times all morning, (in addition to 10.5 hours of trying to charge it yesterday - about 15 hours in total) took a few shots and then it lost its full charge and was back to two bars. I hope it is just the battery because if it is the camera that is cutting out the charge, I can see this becoming a long drawn out process before I even get to use the 'go everywhere' camera for which I have waited SO long to buy.