Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2014, 09:01 AM   #1
Forum Member

To GR, or not...

When the new GR came out I could not find myself interested at all...now, however, I feel myself becoming obsessed (esp with the good deal Adorama has now). Is it really worth it?

I have a very nice and complete K-5iis kit with all the small primes to make a lite/rite travel kit...but you still have a bag, or a camera dangling from your neck. I travel every week for work, different cities for short periods of time. I sometimes bring the K5 and 21mm, 43mm, maybe 18-135 or 10-17 or 31mm, not all of them mind you. It's amazing, and I love it, but I don't always bother due to hassle or because I am really not out looking for photos all the time, or I won't be going to a "cool" city. Plus, even a small 2 lens kit is close to $2000 of watchful responsibility. I find myself more drawn to the 35mm ish field of view, so I was intrigued by the fuji x100s, but yikes...$$$! Then I stumbled across some of the amazing GR shots here and really started thinking...this thing is cool. Can I use the 28mm frame, how is the crop mode, would the optical viewfinder be useful, is it truly pocketable??? These are all questions I am starting to answer YES to.

Anyway, the GR seems like it might be the best camera to have with me always (for the money and size). I don't do a lot of PP work, is it a sin to keep this camera on JPEG? I haven't explored a lot of B&W shooting, I think it might be fun to keep this camera on a B&W mode and force myself to explore. It's not like I am visiting national treasures every day I am out of town. I like the idea of the snap focus and not drawing attention to myself every time I raise the the K5 up, even with the tiny 21mm.

I guess posting in this forum everyone is going to say, Get It! That's great, because, I Want It! I think I am looking for a little advise, or the nudge, or stories of how the GR made you change the way you took pictures, or made you capture photos you would never have taken simply because you had a camera with you.

08-05-2014, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
GR is great camera, but I suggest wait until Photokina (;
08-05-2014, 09:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm in a very similar situation. I used to have no interest whatsoever in the GR, primarily because it's a fixed lens. Then I took a trip where I kept the DA15 glued to my camera pretty much the whole time. It sort of slowly dawned on me that the GR may, in fact, be the ideal travel/walking around/street camera. I'm really close to pulling the proverbial trigger. Only thing holding me up is the lack of stabilization. I have a bit of a natural tremor so I need either IS or a tripod most of the time. I still might try it, though.
08-05-2014, 09:36 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My primary experience with a GR in in my local camera store but...just playing with it there did give me a feel for it. Although I don't KNEED another camera, were I to kneed one, for some of the reasons mentioned above, I'd get one. It's an impressive machine all in one nice package.

08-05-2014, 09:38 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I too was drawn to the GR for all the above reasons.
However, the MX-1 fits the bill pretty well - and for lots less.
Grab one before they are gone forever!
08-05-2014, 09:46 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
GR is shots are sharp as razor...
08-05-2014, 10:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I think this camera works at, or around, THE missing FL/F.O.V. in APS-C camera systems (not just Pentax's -- everyone's). Not one modern AF prime lens for DSLRs or MILCs is available around the Ricoh's 18.3mm FL which is designed with a *priority* for all-around, broadly utilizable IQ. Look at the '80's... look at now. Amazing... bewildering.

Having torn at my distinguished grey locks over this one, I conclude that the Ricoh is probably THE 'for-IQ' option out there for crop sensor photography at this FL... with the catch: 16mp. Overall, I think the advantages of non-IChL *integration* probably lets the GR compete out of its weight class. If I were a 16mp DSLR user and planned to stay there for awhile, then this -- the GR -- would probably be my core WA "lens". Any other advantage is just gravy. As a K3 owner, interested in high resolution for landscapes and other IQ-critical subjects, I find the idea of just kicking out of the picture close to 8mp of *potential* rez hard to swallow. Putting aside the matter of loss of IBIS...

So then, owning a K5iis, what do YOU think?

Last edited by Kayaker-J; 08-05-2014 at 10:12 AM.
08-05-2014, 10:11 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
I think this camera works at, or around, THE missing FL/F.O.V. in APS-C camera systems (not just Pentax's -- everyone's). Not one modern AF prime lens for DSLRs is available around the Ricoh's 18.3mm FL which is designed with a *priority* for all-around, broadly utilizable IQ. Look at the '80's... look at now. Amazing... bewildering.

Having torn at my distinguished Greg locks over this one, I conclude that the Ricoh is probably THE 'for-IQ' option out there for crop sensor photography... with the catch: 16mp.
Overall, I think the advantages of non-ICL *integration* probably lets the GR compete out of its weight class. If I were a 16mp DSLR user and planned to stay there for awhile, then this -- the GR -- would probably be my core WA "lens". Any other advantage is just gravy. As a K3 owner, interested in high resolution for landscapes and other IQ-critical subjects, I find the idea of just kicking out of the picture close to 8mp of *potential* rez hard to swallow. Putting aside the matter of loss of IBIS...

So then, owning a K5iis, what do YOU think?
Fuji has a 18mm f2.0 lens available for APS-C cameras.
Fujifilm 18mm f/2.0 XF R Lens 16240743 B&H Photo Video

08-05-2014, 10:15 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Fuji has a 18mm f2.0 lens available for APS-C cameras.
Fujifilm 18mm f/2.0 XF R Lens 16240743 B&H Photo Video
Optimized for *pancake-i-ness*, not IQ! Just like the DA21.

It's just not that well rated among critical Fuji-X users. I'd choose the 18-55mm zoom to cover the wide end in a heartbeat. Or better yet, the new 10-24mm. Or the upcoming f.2.8 [?] wide-mid zoom...

Last edited by Kayaker-J; 08-05-2014 at 10:23 AM.
08-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #10
Site Supporter

All I can say is that I love the GR. It's just a joy to use with one hand and slips into one's pocket with ease. The 35mm crop mode (about 11mp) works very well if 28mm is just a bit too wide for one. Even the 47mm crop mode (about 6mp) is surprisingly useful.
08-05-2014, 10:54 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Plus that Fuji lens costs about the same as the GR anyway... and I don't think anyone might outgrow 16MP that soon anyway (at least on APS-C). I have poster-sized prints made with my old 7.2MP camera that turned out pretty good...

Edit: Just when I thought I was content with my camera lineup, you guys are making me really crave this little camera...

Another thing that sets it apart from any Pentax DSLR is the fact that it autofocuses during video...

Last edited by ChristianRock; 08-06-2014 at 08:29 AM.
08-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Another underappreciated (?) GR plus point, emphasized by cost-no-object lens system users and technically sophisticated internet personalities/pros Lloyd Chambers ['Ricoh GR: Camera of the Year, 2013'] and Ming Thein [Ricoh GR: In the holster when the D800E, now D810, is in hand on pro assignments]... is the GR's special performance as a camera for monochromes. Ming, if he were posting here, might call it pixie dust! For some evidence that they may be right, look no further than page one of wullamaha's post of 08-03-14, "For the first time, my lens setup feels complete..." So, how's that look for a bit of extra je ne sais quoi in the rendering? Could be...
08-05-2014, 07:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The GR is "hands-down" my favorite camera . It is fantastic not only because of the IQ but because of it's size and controls. I've only had it for a couple of months right but I can tell you that you will take the GR wherever you go without hesitation. It's small, inconspicuous and people think that it's a phone....... I highly recommend it but as mentionied above, I would wait until Photokina at this point.
I'm waiting right now for Photokina because I'd like to upgrade from my K-5 but want to see what's next and waiting for prices to drop further on the K-5 iis / K3/
here's a link to my GR album:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/peterjcb/sets/72157644612230739/

Last edited by peterjcb; 08-05-2014 at 07:13 PM.
08-05-2014, 09:18 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for the input. I do also hesitate because of Photokina, not just because a new more mega-pixially endowed GR might surface, but because if one does the price of the current GR might drop. The deal going on now with the free viewfinder might mean a new gr with an EVF (maybe?).

I am really happy with the performance of the 16mp sensor in my K5iis, so I really feel the one in the GR would be great. I mean the sharp shots I see from it sure are nice.

That is a really interesting point about the GR being Pentax's 28mm prime. I like the idea because when I feel like getting serious with my kit, I can keep the k5 with my 43mm or 77mm on it and never change lens, and use the GR where I would normally use my 21mm. The check marks in the gotta get it column keep adding up. And the quality of the monochrome also really gets me excited. I would love to test out those crop modes too. Anyone feel like tossing up 3 pix of the same thing, starting 28mm then 35 & 47, from the same position?

Thank you again to all who chime in.
08-06-2014, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #15

Iīve had my GR for over a year now and itīs my favorite camera also. Great pair with my K-5IIs with a longer prime like da70 or Fa100 macro! My da21 is not getting much use anymore..

Last fridays cruising night with the combo:

GR

DA70ltd

And in case they donīt allow dslr in a bar (and they usually donīt..) where your favorite band is playing, no problem!