Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
09-08-2014, 01:21 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice photos! I feel like reading a travel magazine that was blended with an art photo magazine. Each photo is well composed, sharp and well-focused, nicely processed..
Thanks for sharing and bringing us closer to that country!

09-09-2014, 02:57 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
wow.great set of photos.maybe you should enter this competition - https://www.lensculture.com/visual-storytelling-awards-2014
09-09-2014, 04:39 PM   #18

Original Poster
Hey guys, thanks for all your comments it means a lot!

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Thank you, fantastic travel photography! Myanmar (and Bangladesh) are high on the list for my next extended trip

Out of interest, which lenses were you using with the A7?
Hi Nick, I used a Leica 35mm Summilux ASPH and a Zeiss 55mm. the 35mm was my most used lens though.

QuoteOriginally posted by asahi67 Quote
Just got back from Northern Thailand, Laos, Viet Nam, Cambodia and a side trip to Burma (sorry but it will always be Burma.) My Dad's RCAF squadron flew out of Rangoon during WW2. Have to say the country was much differant and seemed to be in a time warp much like Cuba . Did you ride the circular commutor train in Yangon for a $1? Would have loved to gone to Bagon but time and $ were running short.
I did take the commuter $1 train in Yangon. was one of the first thing I did to get out the tourist route. And yes, Burma somehow is like Cuba as they both feel stucked in time.

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Very nice work! The GR seems to be near perfect for street shots.
Yes, the GR is an awesome camera. My favorite digital compact indeed. I did a DIY weathersealing (UV stick on filter + duct taped hood onto the body plus a screw on UV filter in front) to it and worked like a charm

QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
wow.great set of photos.maybe you should enter this competition - https://www.lensculture.com/visual-storytelling-awards-2014
Thanks!, and thanks for pointing that out... looks like a great competition might send a submisison.

09-10-2014, 01:19 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
chris, i know you shouldnt give away your pp secrets, but may i ask if your B&W conversions were done with any of the special plugins (Nik's, Topaz etc) or directly in photoshop(or lightroom) with the channels?

09-10-2014, 08:21 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The photos are fantastic.
I feel that the BnW treatment and subjects seem rather grim though and does not seem to fit the title of "The Golden Land" that well.
What I mean is that when I hear Burma and "Golden Land", the images of golden stupas, gold inlay, white and golden Buddhas fill my mind.
Glorious colour and colourful people.

just me few cents.
Great photos nonetheless.
09-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
chris, i know you shouldnt give away your pp secrets, but may i ask if your B&W conversions were done with any of the special plugins (Nik's, Topaz etc) or directly in photoshop(or lightroom) with the channels?
Sure man no worries. I only use lightroom and some dodge and burn tool. the BW preset I use is a "homebrewed" one, if you can say so. So no special tricks or plugins really. I don't use photoshop for my photography, only lightroom. hope that helps.

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
The photos are fantastic.
I feel that the BnW treatment and subjects seem rather grim though and does not seem to fit the title of "The Golden Land" that well.
What I mean is that when I hear Burma and "Golden Land", the images of golden stupas, gold inlay, white and golden Buddhas fill my mind.
Glorious colour and colourful people.

just me few cents.
Great photos nonetheless.
Thanks for your comments man. Im glad you enjoyed the photos, and about color and the tittle, there's a photographer whos work I admire that said something about BW-vs-Color which I think is very fitting as my response to your suggestion:

In black and white there are more colors than color photography, because you are not blocked by any colors- so you can use your experiences, your knowledge, and your fantasy, to put colors into black and white. And this is what you do, put in your own colors.” -. Anders Petersen

And like on your comment, you already know the colors of this photos.
09-24-2014, 06:26 AM   #22

Great photos, especially in number 8 I wish I could take a ride...

I´m really interested, how easy it is to find a place to sleep in Burma while traveling?

I went to India for a (too short) trip and were surprised how easy it was to find a hostel every night without planning anything,
did you just stay the nights with people you met or is it easily possible to find hostels (or similar) there?

09-24-2014, 04:23 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Klaquax Quote
Great photos, especially in number 8 I wish I could take a ride...

I´m really interested, how easy it is to find a place to sleep in Burma while traveling?

I went to India for a (too short) trip and were surprised how easy it was to find a hostel every night without planning anything,
did you just stay the nights with people you met or is it easily possible to find hostels (or similar) there?
It is very easy to travel in Burma, there's hotels, guesthouses and hostels everywhere. I slept in all of them, little hotels, guesthouses, private houses, and hostels. depending on the season you go, its cheaper or not so cheap. I don't say expensive as nothing is expensive in Burma for us westerners.