Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2014, 08:03 PM - 5 Likes   #1

The Golden Land, Burma

Hey guys, earlier this year I did a trip to Burma (Myanmar), and I wanted to share my experience with you,

I’ve been asked a lot: Why Burma? My response is, I don’t know.
My decision on what places to visit, or why, are based on the simple interest of exploring the unknown, the uncanny, personal desires, and basically just having the chance of going to places that I know very little about them.
Visiting the golden land and get lost, with no plans other than simply let encounters and experiences guide me through this country, is my plan.

After 24 hours, I arrive in Yangon. The smells, the dust, and the extreme hot and humid conditions are some of the things that I wont forget very easily. The only way I communicate with people is sign language and when I’m lucky in a very broken english.
Suddenly I realize that people is more interested in me than I am of them. They take my photos as I take theirs. Curiosity is mutual. Not many westerners come here and much less interact with the people, or so I’m told by a local.
Burmese people are some of the friendliest people I’ve met in my life. Curious, always with a smile wanting to share their food or tea or inviting me into their houses.

Everywhere I go, the light is special, and something I have not seen before, long shadows that I follow in the narrow streets, surrounded by old buildings from the English and Portuguese days, I can still see the inscriptions on the walls. Crowded and chaotic streets with food smells, vast landscapes and one way rural roads, makes me think of Burma as a place stucked in time.

I walk more than 13 hours a day, relentlessly, meeting people on every corner, I move by bus, train, boat, cow or anything that takes me across the country. No connection with the world at all, Burma is a place that takes me out of my comfort zone. In every sense. And I love that, just me, my cameras, my notebook and a bag.
Every person that I meet, shares their life story with me, and how to face life from a different point of view. One that I now treasure and feel honored to have experienced.

All photos were taken with a Ricoh GR (with DIY weathersealing to deal with all the dust ) and a Sony A7.

If you guys want to see the whole series please go to my website Chris Leskovsek Photo

08-30-2014, 08:48 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks for these! I've wanted to visit ever since reading Norman Lewis's The Golden Earth
08-30-2014, 09:50 PM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

What a great set of photos. Very enjoyable. Good work.

Just curious, what does your DIY weather-sealing on the GR consist of?
08-31-2014, 12:15 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Good story and great photos.

08-31-2014, 12:55 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
These are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.
08-31-2014, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One of the best travel series I've seen! Fantastic work!
08-31-2014, 11:33 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

There are some stellar shots here. By all means fantastic.

My favorites (in no order) are 3,9,14, and 17. I like 8 and 15 as well.

08-31-2014, 02:18 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you guys for your comments, appreciate it. Im glad you guys liked it. If you havent already you can see the whole series (which has more images than in this post) over at Chris Leskovsek Photo

Im sure this series hardly makes justice to that wonderful country, so if you ever have the time and chance to visit Burma, please do.

QuoteOriginally posted by MBike74 Quote
What a great set of photos. Very enjoyable. Good work.

Just curious, what does your DIY weather-sealing on the GR consist of?
Basically, I put the UV stick on filter in front of the camera then I bought the hood adapter to which I attached a uv filter in front and duct taped the whole tube and to cover all joints to the camera. Then I never took this out until I got back home. It worked like a charm. no dust. and Burma is constantly overcast by a huge dust cloud. When it rained I put a shower cap with rubber bands to the front tube.
09-01-2014, 05:38 PM   #9

Original Poster
a couple more:

09-04-2014, 11:54 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chrisnmn Quote
Hey guys, earlier this year I did a trip to Burma (Myanmar), and I wanted to share my experience with you...
Thank you, fantastic travel photography! Myanmar (and Bangladesh) are high on the list for my next extended trip

Out of interest, which lenses were you using with the A7?
09-05-2014, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #11

Location: Rainforest of Canada Vancouver Island and the sagebrush of southern Okanagan, BC
Myanmar

Just got back from Northern Thailand, Laos, Viet Nam, Cambodia and a side trip to Burma (sorry but it will always be Burma.) My Dad's RCAF squadron flew out of Rangoon during WW2. Have to say the country was much differant and seemed to be in a time warp much like Cuba . Did you ride the circular commutor train in Yangon for a $1? Would have loved to gone to Bagon but time and $ were running short.
09-06-2014, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fantastic work - good on you for getting out there! You'll always have these to bring back the memories.
09-06-2014, 07:24 PM - 1 Like   #13

Location: Rainforest of Canada Vancouver Island and the sagebrush of southern Okanagan, BC
Myanmar

Hi Chris,
Now at home and able to view your B&W shots...love them... that reclining Buddha in Rangoon is fantastic...will try to convert mine to B&W. Met a country mate of yours in Bangkok on the way to the Myanmar embassy getting a 2 year 'meditation' visa. Hope he is adapting well. Found Myanmar very raw...wish I had more time and $ to see more.
Cheers
asahi67 in Victoria, BC Canada
09-06-2014, 07:39 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Very nice work! The GR seems to be near perfect for street shots.
09-08-2014, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #15

Amazing work!