Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-14-2014, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
GR does some nightwork

I wanted to try the GR out again for some night work so visited an area where I knew the lighting would be challenging.

Set the camera to 100ISO aperture priority at between f4 - 5.0 and used the 2 sec delayed timer, I managed to find some suitable platforms to rest the camera on and these are the results.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GR  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GR  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
GR  Photo 
09-14-2014, 09:10 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

I want one!
09-14-2014, 12:04 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Go get one, they are stunning and probably one of the very few compact cameras actually classed as a pro camera - and justly deserved, it really delivers!!
09-14-2014, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I tried it at CES back in January. It felt so light and compact. It was hard to believe that there was an APS-c Size sensor in there. The feature that I liked the most was the EV compensation button. It is the simplest one I have ever seen and effective too. I never used an EV compensation button or dial before. I never even thought about that feature. But when I used it on the GR, I realized that it is a powerful feature and so effectively implemented that it was a joy to use.

I am gonna wait to see if Ricoh introduces a successor for it in the upcoming Photokina. If they don't, I will look for one.

Thank you for the posts. They look great.

09-15-2014, 01:30 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks btnapa,

I agree that the EV compensation rocker is easy to use (a little too easy) and in the first few days I found that the way I held the camera I at times inadvertantly changed the EV and had to reset to what I wanted, I now pay more attention to thumb placement and checking on screen.

I do not expect Ricoh to release and upgrade as yet as there is very little to change, there have been rumours of thme having a 40mm lens but I would be surprised if this finds it's way onto another GR type the lens will need to be bigger and further from the sensor to allow effective coverage unless they incorporate a curved sensor!

Last edited by Iansky; 09-15-2014 at 07:58 AM.
09-15-2014, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Iansky Quote
Thanks btnapa,

I agree tghat the EV compensation rocker is easy to use (a little too easy) and in the first few days I found that the way I held the camera I at times inadvertantly changed the EV and had to reset to what I wanted, I now pay more attention to thumb placement and checking on screen.

I do not expect Ricoh to release and upgrade as yet as there is very little to change, there have been rumours of thme having a 40mm lens but I would be surprised if this finds it's way onto another GR type the lens will need to be bigger and further from the sensor to allow effective coverage unless they incorporate a curved sensor!
Thanks for the info. It is funny you mention about the EV button. I had the same impression in terms of inadvertent changing of settings.

BTW, how is focus tracking and overall focus speed in general, in low light in particular.

About your photos, did you adjust for the highlights in post? If they are right out of the camera, the GR seems to have a wide dynamic range if it held the highlight so nicely.
09-15-2014, 08:02 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by btnapa Quote
Thanks for the info. It is funny you mention about the EV button. I had the same impression in terms of inadvertent changing of settings.

BTW, how is focus tracking and overall focus speed in general, in low light in particular.

About your photos, did you adjust for the highlights in post? If they are right out of the camera, the GR seems to have a wide dynamic range if it held the highlight so nicely.
I have not tried focus tracking with the camera but find that for the images above, with the latest firmware installed and the camera set to "high speed AF" it locked on very quickly and without any difficulty.

I did have to adjust the highlist post shot as they were a tad dark but the dynamic range is sufficient to allow this without problem.

It is a delight to use and so small it does not attract attention, even for these shots with a few drink infused people about!

09-15-2014, 05:10 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
How did you set the WB?
09-16-2014, 12:06 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Jacquot,

White balance was left at auto and corrected during editing,