Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2014, 04:26 PM   #1
Forum Member

GR auto ISO @ 400

I finally bit and got a GR with the deals going on. I have been playing around with it and it seems like a neat little camera. I am sure I will have tons of questions, but for right now this is bugging me.

In Av mode (maybe other modes too, I believe even TAv as well) and the ISO set to auto, the lowest the ISO will go to automatically is 400. For instance f2.8 outside the shutter will be like 1/1000 and the ISO instead of auto going down to 100 it only stops at 400. It works normally going up if need be. I can obviously control it manually.

I also can't get the self timer button to self time when pressed. It does nothing that I can find. I know, I know...RTFM.

What am I missing here? I did a quick search and didn't turn up anything, so I apologize if this has been covered before, and thanks in advance.

Last edited by MBike74; 12-02-2014 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Another question
12-02-2014, 04:28 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe that on the GR you can set both the minimum and maximum ISO in auto mode. Check your settings and you should be able to get it to go lower.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-02-2014, 04:32 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
I did look at that, I was able to set it to go higher to ISO 6400 but the low end still said 100 as far as I know. I will check again and see, I am sure it is something I am not doing right.

Thanks for the quick reply.
12-03-2014, 08:21 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I must be missing something. I cannot get the auto ISO any lower than 400. In TAv mode I can dial in f2.8 and a shutter as slow as you like and only get the camera to give ISO 400. Same in Av mode too.

I have tried both ISO auto and auto-hi

In setup menu there is an ISO auto high setting where I can set the top limit for ISO and the shutter change speed, I have found no where to set the low side though.

In the shooting menu there is an ISO setting/NR menu, and I have tried setting both Auto & Auto-Hi, with no change in behavior.

I am stumped. I did download firmware version 4.0 right when I got the camera too.

Thank you for any help.

12-03-2014, 10:19 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, I fixed it! If anyone else has this problem...here is what it is.

I remembered when I first played with the camera, the ISO seemed to be normal. So I thought, "what have I changed to make this happen"? I stopped short of resetting all camera systems and went back piece by piece. When I was in the custom menus I set the top auto ISO cap at 6400 up from the default of 3200, mainly because that is what I did with my K5IIs. Well, I guess that screws up all kinds of stuff, It must be a weird glitch in the firmware. Not only did the auto ISO refuse to go below 400, but the self timer button would not do anything. That was a strange one, because I knew I didn't change any of that buttons custom features. Now that I put the ISO ceiling back to 3200, the self timer works perfectly.

In summary...PRO: The GR is a very customizable camera. CON: The GR is a very customizable camera.
01-26-2015, 07:38 AM   #6

Ihad the same problem even though my iso cap was only at 1600. The issue is the max iso, its the dynamci range compensation. If you turn it off, you ill have no issues. If you leave it on auto, it will give you the iso 400 problem.