Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2014, 08:44 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sample GR high ISO raw files?

I am thinking of adding a GR to my existing K-3 + D800 kit. Literally, something I would keep in my cargo pants pocket.

As I process all of my images using DxO Optics Pro, I would like to see just how well DxO handles the data (my guess: it will do very well indeed)
Thus, I am interested in any high-ISO raw images shot using the GR.
Images shot at ISO1200, 1600, and 3200 would do the trick.
Anybody have some? (in return, I will send you back DxO processed 16 bit TIFFs using PRIME processing)
We can use WeTransfer to send the big files back and forth.

Michael

12-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I deleted the raw after processing, but I can shoot some test samples for you.

I will have to tell you that, unfortunately the high ISO from GR is very bad, I will be very careful and not expect too much if I have to use ISO > 1600. Usually I will keep them under 800, prefer 400 and lower.

I love GR, but hate the color and high ISO behavior. Miles behind Pentax K5/3. I wish Ricoh can adapt some tech from pentax and transplant on new GR.
12-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grahame Quote
I deleted the raw after processing, but I can shoot some test samples for you.

I will have to tell you that, unfortunately the high ISO from GR is very bad, I will be very careful and not expect too much if I have to use ISO > 1600. Usually I will keep them under 800, prefer 400 and lower.

I love GR, but hate the color and high ISO behavior. Miles behind Pentax K5/3. I wish Ricoh can adapt some tech from pentax and transplant on new GR.
Thank you for this information, I actually had thought that the GR was equally as good as the k-3 in the high ISO department and was thinking to just get it instead of a wide lens for my k-3...
12-04-2014, 10:15 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately, it looks the heat from a large sensor in a very compact body is an issue that is not solved yet. Sony's FF compact camera (RX?) also has worse high ISO performance comparing with other FF cameras.

---------- Post added 12-04-14 at 11:21 AM ----------

And I just can not get the color from GR right, RAW or JPG from camera. cooler is the fist impression, but there are many details hard to describe that I don't like. For example, sky, leaves, pentax does much better. Maybe i am spoiled by Pnetax camera and lens.
But GR is so handy and the lens is amazing!!! so much detail that I can never get from pentax primes. I have/had DA14, FA 20, DA 21, FA 24 in this range, resolution wise, 18/2.8 on GR is the best.

12-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I wonder how much the perception of noise handling is subjective, like the opinion of bokeh. There are any number of reviews and blogs which praise the high iso qualities of the GR: not in the context of there being no noise, but focusing on the useability of the photos. Comments might be high iso photos are 'filmic' or GR noise handling represents the character or identity of a Ricoh camera the same way that various film stock had their own character.
Here's another perspective:
https://giovannisavinophotography.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/pushing-absurdly-...coh-gr-camera/
12-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

yeah, I saw quite a few photographers like the "noise" image, to mimic the grainy film effect. Many GR photos are in BW for that reason. But the noise is there and becomes obvious after ISO 800. And without SR, it is pretty easy to push ISO higher than I would like to. In low light, I use TAV model and set shutter speed at 50 or so, and came home with may photos taken at ISO 1600 or 3200 or even higher.
In that post, the photos are great, viewed at that size. but I am sure if you have the original file and zoom in or just view it full screen on a 22' monitor, you will noticed the noise issue. An under same condition, image from K5 is much better.
Don't take me wrong, I love GR. I just prefer clean image.
12-04-2014, 03:41 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Let's see here: iso 10000 and 2000. cropped from that post:
https://giovannisavinophotography.wordpress.com/2013/05/29/pushing-absurdly-...coh-gr-camera/

Attached Images

12-04-2014, 03:47 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Now we're talking!

m