Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2014, 04:36 PM   #1
Forum Member

Ricoh GR for Landscape Photography

Obviously I can use the Ricoh GR for Landscape Photography but I am thinking of selling my Pentax kit consisting of K30, da 15, da 21, da 40, fa 31 and fa 77. I know I will be restricted with the 28mm equiv but I see that as opening my creativity.

My question is would you consider the Ricoh GR a great camera for landscape photography or will I really miss my other lenses?

12-06-2014, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yer gonna miss em.
12-06-2014, 05:38 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What you're asking is whether you should sell the three out of the four Pentax lens tournament champions, including the greatest Pentax lens of all time. You could sell the 21 and 40 and you might be forgiven. But selling the others would be sacrilege. You know once you sell them you'll never get the collection back and you don't know where your photography will take you in the future. Or imagine if you sell the FAs and the next day Pentax launches a k-mount FF. No doubt the Ricoh will provide years of service. But the limiteds are a lifetime investment.
12-06-2014, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would say.. buy the GR before selling anything. And if it meets your wishes, then you know what to sell

12-06-2014, 08:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yeah, I say get it first, and try it.

You may find that the 28mm equivalent focal length of the GR will be an interesting compliment to your existing collection, somewhere between the DA15 and DA21 on your K-5. In which case, you can keep both the GR and K-5!

While I don't have the GR, I do have the MX-1 as my "compact" go-to camera, when I don't want to carry the K-5. I also just picked up the 01 prime lens for my Q, for when I want a more "pure" shooting experience. My only point is that it is okay, and can be fun, to have different cameras for different conditions, or to suit your mood.
12-07-2014, 12:07 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
I already own the ricoh gr. I enjoy its super compact nature. you guys are making it hard to decide. I may just see how I go at landscape photography using the ricoh gr for awhile and hold out selling my other lenses until I know it can perform.

what do you guys think of using the gr as a landscape camera?
12-09-2014, 05:02 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hakea Quote
what do you guys think of using the gr as a landscape camera?
I think it makes a fantastic landscape camera, with the obvious caveat being that you have to enjoy using only a 28mm lens.

Fantastic lens and equally fantastic sensor, assuming you're happy with 16mp. I find the UI really intuitive to use on a tripod, and the size/weight is an obvious benefit if landscape photography for you involves getting to landscapes.

I recently did an 8-day backcountry trip in the Swedish Arctic only carrying the GR and came away pretty stoked with the photos

That said, would I sell your LTD primes? Probably not...

12-10-2014, 02:10 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
I think it makes a fantastic landscape camera, with the obvious caveat being that you have to enjoy using only a 28mm lens.

Fantastic lens and equally fantastic sensor, assuming you're happy with 16mp. I find the UI really intuitive to use on a tripod, and the size/weight is an obvious benefit if landscape photography for you involves getting to landscapes.

I recently did an 8-day backcountry trip in the Swedish Arctic only carrying the GR and came away pretty stoked with the photos

That said, would I sell your LTD primes? Probably not...

I like your photos Nick. are you a fellow aussie?

I posted this on the gr. comparing the type of shots i can get between the gr and the dslr.

Ill probably sell my DA21, DA40, DA18-135, DA55-300 and keep the da15 and the fa limiteds until i find out in early
12-10-2014, 04:17 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hakea Quote
I like your photos Nick. are you a fellow aussie?

I posted this on the gr. comparing the type of shots i can get between the gr and the dslr.
Yep, I split my time between Tassie and Sydney at the moment

Is that a GR shot you've posted? A lot of colour noise in the shadows, I'm curious how far you pushed them in post?
12-10-2014, 05:14 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Yep, I split my time between Tassie and Sydney at the moment

Is that a GR shot you've posted? A lot of colour noise in the shadows, I'm curious how far you pushed them in post?
im a sydneysider myself, the photo was from clovelly.

this is the original photo, it was pushed alot!