Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2014, 01:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Zoom Preview limitation in DNG

My GR renders a tiny preview image in DNG mode that becomes pixelated when zooming in during playback mode. This makes it impossible to check fine details in an image or confirm focus unless I leave the camera in DNG+JPG mode. I am using the latest firmware. It's surprising that the GR renders such a limited preview; my DSLRs and even a Canon P&S give sharper previews when shooting raw.

This is only a minor inconvenience but I'd still like to find a better fix than using DNG+JPG.

Can anyone confirm this issue?
Does anyone have a solution beyond always using DNG+JPG?

12-15-2014, 01:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't own the GR, but I bet it depends on the characteristics of the embedder jpeg.
My K-01 shows a "good enough" preview when shooting RAW, but you can see compression artifacts, and clipping when there is none in the RAW file.
That's because RAW is 12bit in the K-01 while jpeg is only 8bit.
I can only speculate that the jpeg which is embedded in the GR DNG files is low quality, and that by shooting DNG+jpeg the camera shows the "better" jpeg.
12-15-2014, 01:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I noticed this when I viewed a DNG shot with a GR in Faststone. The JPG preview was tiny. I'm used to all my Pentax DNG having a full sized JPG preview.
Guess it's a RICOH thing.
12-15-2014, 08:55 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for confirming. I'll stick with DNG+JPG and have Lightroom ignore the JPG. It will slow down the camera a bit but I rarely shoot bursts; the GR is for street photography and landscapes, not sports nor birds in flight.